Alter. suspension

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 1999, 06:10 AM
Ragos Elias
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The car is 98MY turbo(211 ps).
What options I have for suspension.
Is the STi v5 compatible without trouble?
As I have read elsewhere Sti suspension is the same as the Prodrive sells.(Bilstein and Eibah set.)
What about adjustable Koni sport with normal coils or with others?
Prodrive sells the susp.package complete.I wonder if one strut has a problem what should I do? Will Prodrive sell one absorber only?
Or, if time has come to change the Prodrive susp. do you have to buy the complete set again with coils? Waist of money.
Are there any other options?
Your comments will help my decision.
Old 14 July 1999, 09:28 AM
JohnS

Yes, the STi V suspension will fit without much problems, but remember that many STi owners change their suspension for something better...

The Prodrive suspension is only sold as a complete kit, as the springs and dampers have been designed to work as package. If anything failed, then there would be no problems getting individual replacement parts.

There are several other options, the more popular of which (amongst UK owners), is the Leda suspension kit offered by Scoobysport, which has various options.

Haven't heard any feedback from owners fitting the Koni springs & dampers, but they are available from PTS in the UK. I think Graham Goode also sell their own suspension kit.

Then you get into some of the Japanese options, such as GAB etc. More expensive, but top quality.

It's probably best to decide what you want from the suspension (ie do you need adjustable suspension to run track days, rough roads, smooth roads etc), or do you just want something that you fit and forget which improves the handling, and then investigate all the above options in more detail. The best suspension for one person will probably not suit another's driving style or roads!
Old 14 July 1999, 10:32 AM
Ragos Elias
Scooby Regular

John, thank you for reply.
Handling improovement over standard suspension is what I look for. I have no time for track days ( any way there are not that kind of areas here ).
I have heard about Gab - Tein etc but what is the cost of them?