Notices

Sti 7, anyone cured the bounce?

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2004, 02:37 PM
Steve PPP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sti 7, anyone cured the bounce?

I've lived with it for a long time, it's the only thing about the car I don't like at all.
I have the Prodrive springs fitted, along with PPP, and standard wheels and tyres.
It feels like the dampers aren't matched to the car.

Has anyone cured the bouncy effect?

I would have done a search first, but I can't find the search function anymore, is it me?

Thanks in advance.
Steve Wardle

Last edited by Steve PPP; 09 February 2004 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Can't remember how to do Smilies
Old 09 February 2004, 03:44 PM
phelpo
Scooby Newbie

Can you define bounce a bit for us I have a STi 7 and find it OK but could be better!
Old 09 February 2004, 04:00 PM
Steve PPP
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Oh!
I thought it was a standard trait of the Sti7 that it had a very bouncy ride, I've seen it commented on several times on posts.

My car will ride on uneven roads as if it was on springs with little damping, i.e it will carry on "bouncing" for 1 or 2 times after the initial bump.
It is not a harsh/hard/crashing ride like some stiffly suspensioned cars I have had, but is a more undulating/wave type of motion. It is a quite unpleasant feeling, and would make those prone to car sickness feel very unwell.

It has been like this from new, the Prodrive springs did help matters for a while, but it seems to be back to it's initial level now.

I find it very frustrating that Subaru can't produce a car without some basic design faults, e.g. smelly clutch, bouncy suspension, NSR knock, etc. They are all fairly easy for a manufacturer to develop out.

Steve
Old 09 February 2004, 04:44 PM
phelpo
Scooby Newbie

OK I think I know where you are coming from here, the problem ( if you see it that way ) I think comes from chassis flex. The beefed up STi suspension puts extra strains on a stock chassis, fitting decent strut braces will help but additional rigidity is needed. I am even considering a roll cage and sill bracing to tighten up the car! Once I have fitted some stiffening devices I will let you know. If you are bored one day take a look underneath a MY04 STi and play spot the difference.
Old 09 February 2004, 05:03 PM
Steve PPP
Scooby Regular

Phelpo,
Thanks for the reply.
Are you saying that the MY04 doesn't "bounce" because it's stiffer?

I am intrigued if the problem is chassis flex, as I have never knowingly experienced it, so can't say what it feels like.

So it's Whiteline kit all round or a new Sti then? LOL. That Spec C limited looks tempting!