Notices

MY00 Clonk/judder on full lock

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2004, 08:55 AM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Folks

I've Recently been getting a juddering feeling and grinding noise when on full lock in my UK MY00. Initially I think this was just in reverse but now seems to be any time Im on full lock and pulling away from stationary. It only happens either overnight or if i leave the car to stand for a while( and go cold ). I think it also happens if i reverse out with either left or right lock. When it happens it feels iether like the wheels are loose or similar to when a spring is aligned incorrectly to a damper.

I did have this checked by Powerstation recently as I had the bumpsteer mod and ALK fitted but they couldnt see anything wrong , rubbing,catching etc.. with the work they carried out. THis issue did not start until 2-3 weeks later anyway.

The steering feel and handling going round right hand bends does seem to have lost its edge slightly - but this could be down to worn shocks or my just plain paranoia on my part.

Any suggestions here?

Spring not sitting correctly / warn damper?
Steering rack issue? ( or other possibly related to bumpsteer or alk )
Noisy diffs as per other threads on here?

I dont think its brake related as discs/pads have been changed in the middle of this issue.

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Rich
Old 29 January 2004, 07:12 AM
Scoobycar
Scooby Newbie

I had a similar issue on my 97', which turned out to be a wheel bearing. My brother also had the same and took can to subaru who charged him £450 as they did not know what it was and carried out loads of tests. Your car is newer but still worth a consideration!!
Old 30 January 2004, 10:32 AM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Cheers Scoobiecar. I'll have a look for any play this weekend. It should be covered under extended warranty anyway.
Old 03 February 2004, 10:33 PM
silver
Scooby Regular

I have just got the same knock/judder on my 99 car. Also confined to reverse on full lock.
I will get it checked, if its a wheel bearing will it be covered on an extended subaru warrenty?
Old 04 February 2004, 12:12 PM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Silver , I had a quick check of my car's front suspension @ the weekend and I think mine could possibly be down to an eibach spring moving in around in the damper seat....i spotted some wear on the spring which looked suspicious.

Once i seated the spring correctly i didnt get the problem for a day or so, and handling did seem a bit better as well....but then it came back this morning when i had to do the opposite lock in reverse again.

Still think it could be this spring though. I did post another thread about this to see if it could be worn damper related. Either way its going to the dealer as soon as i have time.
Old 04 February 2004, 12:18 PM
Dibs
Scooby Regular

I had a vibration problem, especially when going round big roundabouts a bit quickly ;-) It was in for a service on Monday and (like the post above) they found that the spring(s) weren't seated properly. Thinking about it, it only started happening after they changed the bearing on the top of the damper.

Seems OK now.

Dibs