Notices

Squeeky shocks

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2003, 01:00 AM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

During normal everyday driving, I'm really pleased with the suspension and handling on my MY96 WRX import. As far as I know, it's completely standard and I like the balance of comfort and handling.

But, when I go over speed ramps, the shock absorbers (I assume) are REALLY squeaky (both front and back).

I don't go over speed ramps during my usual routes around town so, whenever it does happen, I forget all about it by the time I get home. And, now that I'm thinking about it, it's nearly 1am and I don't think my neighbours would appreciate it if I went outside and bounced on the corners of my car to make it squeak!

Anyone else have this problem?
Is it obvious to those of you that know more about Imprezas that I need to replace them?
Anyone know roughly how much a set of standard shocks are and how many hours labour I should be charged for fitting them?
Old 30 December 2003, 12:42 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
It could well be the anti roll bar mountings need a touch of grease, especially if polyurethane types!

Cured mine!

Shocks are about £175 a corner from GGR, not sure for WRX shocks. At that price, getting into the coil over market!

Top mounts were £52 plus the dreaded vat each corner, when I needed some recently.

Old 30 December 2003, 02:28 PM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Vulnax999,

I'm not quite sure what that means yet but I'll jack the car up and have a look! If a little bit of grease is the answer, that would be great.

If my shocks are worn and they'll cost that much to replace, I'll just put up with the occasional squeak!! The handling seems fine to me - it's very well balanced. I can put decent shocks on my Mini for £50 ALL ROUND, lol.

Thanks for the advice

Old 30 December 2003, 02:48 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
No worries.

Look at the large anti roll bar across the back of the car. There are two mounting brackets to the chassis rails, one each side. These are help on with 1 bolt, and a bent hook on the other end of the retaining bracket. If possible, grease inside the bush / onto roll bar so as it moves ( it twists when the wheels move up/down ) to kill the squeak.

At each end of the bar is a bracket going down to the hub - each end of this has a bush, and these wear. See what movement there is there ( although usually a clink when worn ) and grease them up around the bush.

Hope that helps

Old 30 December 2003, 05:48 PM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Brilliant - thanks again mate
Old 01 January 2004, 05:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Screwfix do an excellent penetrating spray grease, actually marketed as chain lubricant spray, that comes out thin, and dries nice and thick.
Alcazar