Repacement shocks OE/KYB confused.

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2003, 01:11 PM
dhayzen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi folks.

Chatting to a well known chap in Gloucester today about replacing shocks whilst having the springs replaced with Eibachs.

I've been left a little confused which I'm sure is down to my ignorance but would be grateful if someone could clarify for me...

I can't afford to stick coilovers in so am wanting to replace the old shocks with the same. The Gloucester chap said they'd do it but would be about £110/corner as it's an OE Subaru part they'd order in. That's fine, I understand that and expect the Subaru part to be more expensive... it's the next bit I'm confused about. I mentioned the KYB shock that is advertised on ScoobyNet for £50/corner and was told that it is just the shock not the entire strut hence the price difference. What the heck is the difference between entire strut and shock? Obviously I was thinking about buying the KYB and supplying myself rather than get the OE shocks at £110ea but don't want to get the wrong thing!

Can anyone clarify for me please ?

Dave
Old 01 August 2003, 01:50 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I've got the £50 ones. Identical to the ones I took off (apart from not being worn out )

You need to put the spring and top mounts etc on it of course, these come off the old assembly easily enough once it's removed from the car...

I doubt that the OE £110 things come with a new spring and top mount either
Old 01 August 2003, 03:10 PM
dhayzen
Scooby Regular

Ah, ok starting to make sense....

So the top mount comes with the £110 OE ones, but not the KYB. So in theory its a case of getting gloucester chappie to do a little more work by taking top mount off old unit and fitting to new. The springs I'm not worried about as I'm having new ones fitted... I'm assuming that's what you meany about springs?
Old 01 August 2003, 10:30 PM
eddie h
Scooby Regular

Gotta agree with dnb.

Can't see you getting the top mount or top hat with the subaru item.

Buy the cheaper ones and reuse the other parts.
Old 02 August 2003, 08:19 AM
mark245
Scooby Regular

Hi Dave, from what you have said, it seems the guy in Gloucester is charging you more like the standard Subaru price for struts. They will be exactly the same as the ones on scoobynet, even down to part numbers. Kayaba (KYB) are the OE suppliers. Because of the cheaper price of the ones from scoobynet, your man in gloucester is assuming they will be strut inserts( basically all the shock absorber workings in a sealed unit that you have to fit into your old strut body.)This is the arrangements with koni's and some bilsteins, i believe. Anyway, scoobynet are offering you exactly the same product as gloucester, but half price!
Your old top mounts will be re-used in both cases. As for Eibachs, its a great mod as a search on here will show you. The car will turn and steer more possitively, less body roll nd no loss of ride comfort as they are progressivly wound. If you are thinking of them, now is the time to do it as you are changing struts anyway.
Good luck, Mark
Old 04 August 2003, 08:57 AM
dhayzen
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your input folks. You've all been most useful.
I now understand a more about shocks etc.

As soon as I finish writing this I'll be ordering the struts, then once received have a wonder over to Gloucs

Dave