Notices

Anti roll bar drop links

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2003, 09:54 PM
Pentlander
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RE Title

While looking at some of the various products and packages available a question has "sprung" to mind!

It seems that Noltec and Whiteline are available for REAR and FRONT applications.
I can only find Powerflex, Perrin and Kartboy available for REAR application.
(Maybe I haven't looked hard enough?)

Also, TSL include REAR drop links in their phase 3 suspension package, but no mention of fronts being
upgraded in phase 4 or 5!

Similarly, Vivid Racing include REARS in their package 1, but no mention of fronts in packages 2 or 3!

Is this a coincidence, or is a front anti roll bar drop link upgrade not really necessary?

I'm thinking of upgrading the drop links fairly soon, so I'd appreciate any views on this subject,
before I order the parts.

Thanks

Derek
Old 04 July 2003, 08:30 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well it depends on which model you have. The UK cars have always had plastic front and rear drop links, except the new 02/03 STi's which have solid (metal) front drop links and plastic rear drop links.

The rears are the ones which really need changing as they are quite flexi which does the feel of the rear end no good at all. The plastic front drop links probably don't really flex much as they are failing solid plastic and the forces travel through the link in a straight line so I wouldn't bother changing them if that's what you have. The rears are banana shaped which is partly why they are so flexi and I recommend changing these at your earliest opportunity!!!

Matt
Old 04 July 2003, 01:33 PM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Cool

Matt,I think you'll find the >01 WRX also has solid front links. I had the rears replaced with Whiteline & 22mm ARB. Was going to get the fronts changed untill I crawled under to have a look. Defo metal. This is on a my01 UK300.
I guess as the aftermarker versions are supplied with poly bushes it's still worth the improvement in changing.
Nigel
Old 04 July 2003, 02:10 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess it really depends on far you're pushing the suspension mods. When you start upgrading the rear drop links and then the rear ARB, you're making the front of the car work much harder - this brings back much more front-end grip and helps too rid you of the dreaded understeer.

I changed my drop-links for the Whiteline solid ones, but I did fronts & rear so can't comment whether it was worth doing both or not. All I can say is I did notice the difference from the plastic jobs.

I've recently installed a Whiteline adjustable ARB and it's transformed the car. I've not set it too the stiffest settings as I was told that this would could produce too much oversteer and dramatic results on mid-corner lift-off. Just now it's nice and balance and lifting off the throttle mid-corner just tightens the front-end nicely.

If I wanted more out of the bar, then it was recommended that I upgrade the front to balance things. The main result would be a greater control on very high speed cornering.

For the Scottish back rounds my current setup is great and if I want more, I think I'd need to look at coilovers.

Stefan

P.S. Just to mention I'm running std dampers, but I have Eibach Pro-Kit springs fitted all-round and 17" wheels.
Old 05 July 2003, 09:11 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Cool

FWIW, i had the rear ARB mountings and the front ARB drop links uprated at Powerstation on Friday, having had all the other stuff done on a previous occasion, all with Whiteline components.

Have to say, these two mods have *really* made what was done previously all worthwhile. I'm not sure now why i didn't have it all done at the same time, something about not wanting the car to be "too unforgiving" or some such nonsense, but i can definitely vouch for the two mods i had being done.

Only downside - it encourages hooligan behaviour!!
Old 10 July 2003, 08:01 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I don't know, but I would guess that sperical bearings or rose joints would produce a lot of NVH!!

Matt
Old 07 September 2003, 10:38 PM
Pentlander
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Made me investigate under my own mota.

It's a MY03 WRX and does indeed have solid (metal) FRONT droplinks.
They're a bit skinny, but nevertheless solid!

I'll change the rear ones soon on all your recommendations.

Does anyone have experience of the Perrin product?
They don't have a poly, or any sort of bush, but a pre-lubricated SPHERICAL BEARING instead.

http://www.perrinperformance.com/products/endlinks/endlinks.htm

If no experience, any views?

Thanks again for the comments so far.

Derek

[Edited by Pentlander - 7/10/2003 12:22:12 AM]
Old 07 October 2003, 01:45 AM
superstring
Scooby Regular

Hi Pentlander

I don't have any personal experience with the Perrin endlinks, but I would be concerned about the durability of the spherical bearings, considering their location on the car. Things could turn nasty if they are susceptible to contamination from dirt, water etc. It's just a thought, but it might be worth checking out before you buy.

On a personal note, I installed Whiteline rear links recently and what a difference! Well worth it!

John

[Edited by superstring - 7/10/2003 1:46:29 AM]