Notices

Will P1 Lowering springs fit on a Legacy '92 ??????

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2003, 08:23 PM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking of attemptin to lower my Legacy.

While I think about it, I'm wondering and finding out How to and what to use. (i.e. what springs will fit?)

There's a set of P1 lowering springs (35mm) on the FS forum up for £50 and wondered if anyone was knowledgeable and knew if these would fit??

Would any Impreza lowering springs fit?? or will it have to be Specifics??

Would appreciate some guidance from all you know all's (meant in the nicest way of course)

Cheers

Phil
Old 15 March 2003, 01:44 AM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Saloon or Estate? I ask that because I had Eibach lowering springs put on my turbo estate that were meant to be an Impreza!!! I found out later (a bit too late then) that they would not work. The cars underside would scrap on the lowest of road humps. The Legacy estate is probably around 200kg heavier than an Impreza also my shocker weren't too good (the car has over 100,000 miles on the clock) so it messed everything up!! I've got them off now. Stick to specific parts for this car or you will be crying (inside of course) and burning a big hole in your pocket...I know I've been there.
Old 15 March 2003, 10:23 AM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that.....

..ah well we all learn by our mistakes

Its a saloon.

Would being a saloon/estate make a difference??
Old 16 March 2003, 10:35 AM
leggy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi mate just about to atempt this my self .Im using wrx springs and shocks all round but these are standard springs.The saloon being 100kg heavier will then be lowered a bit.On the estate it does not work mainly on the back end because of the weight.Ive looked into it and its been done sucessfully before.If you just want to lower your car you can buy legacy lowering springs for about £115. Because i have a rear shock gone the cheapist option was used wrx suspension. cheers LEGGY
Old 16 March 2003, 08:41 PM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Leggy,

So you are changing the whole lot then?? How much is the drop??

I've got 17inch speedlines on and was wondering how much I could drop it by??

Would like to see some before and after shots of yours.....

I've seen some 'rubber things' that slide in betwenn the spring. Is that to stop it bottoming out??

Is it worth having those???

Cheers
Le t me know when you get there....

Cheers

Phil
Old 17 March 2003, 08:29 AM
leggy
Scooby Regular

Hopefully going to do it this weekend i will email you the results.cheers leggy.
Old 25 March 2003, 09:42 AM
NutterKam
Scooby Regular

I bought Luke's Legacy (estate) last year which had been REALLY slammed! Turned out to have Impreza legs all round and I couldn't get over any speed bumps! The Legacy estate is a really heavy brute so I wouldn't bother with Impreza springs unless they're of some serious poundage. A good buy (but not commonly mentioned) are Spax springs. I got them for about 85 quid!! However, the main prob is that Legacies use different front top spring cups. I had a hell of time tracking some down after refusing to pay 70 quid EACH at Subaru!! If you go for Impreza springs then you'd also need the top cups to suit. It's a real pain to find this out AFTER you've taken the suspension to bits on a Sunday! Shocks I'm using are from MY99 Impreza. This combo is OK for me cos I have to endure a lot of speedbumps. The ride is supple but I think it would be too soft for some - just depends where and how you drive.
Old 25 March 2003, 10:11 AM
magnet
Scooby Regular

this isnt clear to me.
if i have a standard setup and put impreza springs on, do i need to change the top mounts?

If i use impreza shocks do i need to use my existing legacy top mounts?

Which way round is it?

Old 25 March 2003, 11:58 AM
NutterKam
Scooby Regular

The top mounts are the same but the top cups which hold the springs at the top are different (on the front).
Old 25 March 2003, 01:52 PM
magnet
Scooby Regular

so are these combinations correct?
impreza front struts = same
rear legacy struts saloon = same
impreza springs on legacy struts = need impreza top cup front only.
???
Old 25 March 2003, 02:25 PM
NutterKam
Scooby Regular

so are these combinations correct?
impreza front struts = same
rear legacy struts saloon = same
impreza springs on legacy struts = need impreza top cup front only.
???
I can't say if the actual struts are exactly same but if you change the whole strut as a unit (shock and spring) then all the Impreza legs are interchangeable with Legacy.
Yes - if you use Impreza springs on Legcay struts you'll need Impreza top cups for the front. The rears in Legacy did change a few times throughout production. On BF models the earlier JDM cars use tapered springs on the rear so those top cps are different as well. I can't speak for the later BG and BH models but chances are that they will be bit different. Hope it helps.
Old 25 March 2003, 02:33 PM
magnet
Scooby Regular

cheers.

so does that include top mounts? ie if you lift the whole suspension off an impreza and drop it into a legacy saloon, what needs to change? (top mounts)?

Ta (almost there)
Old 02 April 2003, 07:45 PM
leggy
Scooby Regular

Hi ive just started to put wrx suspension on my legacy.Only done the front so far.I have put wrx shocks and springs on with no problems.
The front of my car has lowered about 30mm. Feels great when cornering hard and less understeer on tight roundabouts.And also more
comfortable over speed ramps.Im not sure with the back of the car whether too stick with legacy springs on the impreza shocks because the back of the car is already the same as the front now.But sod it i will change the lot i can always change it back.
update tomorrow CHEERS LEGGY
Old 02 April 2003, 09:16 PM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

Hey Leggy,

Where are you in wales??

Local to me??

Going to Llandow on Saturday??
Old 04 April 2003, 10:51 AM
leggy
Scooby Regular

Im from newport i will be working sat but whats going on down there.As for the legacy only changed the struts and kept the legacy springs because the impreza springs seem far too light for the legacy back end.May go for rear lowering springs which would drop the arch to the top of the tyres but the car is looking good with the front lower because it was 30mm higher than the back.cheers leggy
Old 04 April 2003, 12:49 PM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

leggy,

was it yourself that met up with us at Mcdonalds on the Sun morn before the Karting???

If so, I'm interested in the Spoiler you were talking about that you put on the Legacy...

Cheers
Old 04 April 2003, 07:13 PM
leggy
Scooby Regular

No sorry mate not me.
Old 05 April 2003, 10:12 AM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Oh well,

Any before and after pics??

Shame, would have likedto have been there when you changed them over....

Would have given me the nerve to go ahead with it......

Cheers
Old 29 December 2003, 01:45 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

So it's a few months on now....how did this turn out for everyone?
I was thinking of putting the P1 setup on mine, but the struts are fairly pricey. So the WRX setup would seem to be a good ride / handling compromise for my legacy, as I understand it is stiffer than a UK turbo, but softer than the P1 & STis of this world.

So am curious to know how you feel about your suspension changes a few months on? Any advice / reccomendations?
Old 29 December 2003, 02:17 PM
NutterKam
Scooby Regular

Well, had the Spax springs on Impreza MY99 stock shocks and they were pretty good (estate) but can't say much more cos I haven't had the car since way back in March....
Old 30 December 2003, 01:23 AM
diogenese
Scooby Newbie

I've fitted a set of impreza AVO adjustable coilovers to my '93 legacy turbo estate, the rear springs were way too soft compared with the fronts. I swapped the springs around,(they use 2 1/4" springs all round) and things are a lot better balanced, I really need some slightly stiffer fronts now and it'll be spot on.
Old 30 December 2003, 10:11 PM
STE.W.(atome)
Scooby Regular

Location: "Good Lord, I'm Getting A Reading Of Over 40 Mega-Fonzies On The Coolometer!!"
Thumbs up

Hi,

I've fitted a set of Whiteline Control Springs and a set of KYB replacement struts specific to the Legacy T Est a couple of months ago.

The set up dropped the car around 20 mm and works realy well for what I use it for. It doesnt ground out on speed bumps or in the forests when spectating @ rallies etc.

Its not the best looking (ie salmmed to the ground) but over the moorland roads around here its a good balance between high speed control and a better looking car.

My mate has "flat4's" ex Leg saloon and that is fitted with wrx ra struts and sti springs from an Impreza. It looks the bollox but is way too harsh for our roads up here. He cant get it over speed bumps and cant carry more than 3 people to rallies etc without doing dammage to the zorst underneath.

He will be fitting the same set up as me as soon as the springs arrive from OZ.

I also fitted the Whiteline drop links to the front and rear bars and changed the worn rollbar bushes with new Subaru ones.

The whole thing feels tighter and the steering response is almost as good as the Imprezas that I've driven in the past.

I was thinking of changing the rear bar next to a Whiteline heavy duty jobby in an attempt to give a bit more understeer control and maybe if Im lucky some oversteer fun

Left it too late to ask Santa for that bit of kit so maybe I'll ask tother half nearer to me birthday for that bit of kit

hope y'all get yours sorted. It is worth the hassle and the difference is very noticeable.

Just be carefull with waht you try to fit, especially to the estate/ wagons as already mentioned earlier in this thread.

Glad to see theres still alot of interest in the Legacy, they are magic.

Shazam

Ste.

Old 30 December 2003, 11:50 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Question

Ste....where did you source these components? My shocks are getting a bit tired, so I think it's time to switch.
Old 30 December 2003, 11:59 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

If your speedo is driven by an electronic speed sensor, it will say in clear markings at the bottom of the speedo ELECTRONIC. I always wondered why until I found out that imports can have mechanical speedo's, and that the 1992 Legacy Turbos have a mechanical speedo too. Bloomin weird subaru.

Edited to add that yes, this is on the wrong blimmin thread. Treacherous Favourites menu!!!!!!!!

[Edited by Turbo_Steve - 12/31/2003 11:32:47 AM]
Old 31 December 2003, 08:50 AM
STE.W.(atome)
Scooby Regular

Location: "Good Lord, I'm Getting A Reading Of Over 40 Mega-Fonzies On The Coolometer!!"
Wink

Steve, now mate.

I got my struts from Alyn @ AS PERFORMANCE.

He is in the Scooby Shop section and he's a top bloke.

I got a full set of struts for 280 squids.

He's also good for brakes too.

Dont know if you wrong posted the speedo thing though or maybe I missed summat from an earlier post

I got the Whiteline stuff from Demon Tweeks (if you needed that info)

Hav a gud un.

Ste.
Old 31 December 2003, 09:00 AM
STE.W.(atome)
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just to add that the most noticeably worn parts on my 106k car were the the roll bar bushes and the drop links: eek:

They were absolutely fhooked.

When I jacked the car up with the wheel still on and let it pull down on these componets they were realy baggy and slack,like a welly top, reminded me of a girl I once went... sorry my mind was away on a different topic there

The holes through the bushes had worn down like youd slotted them with a file

The drop links were not too badly priced and the genuine roll bar bushes were about a 5 er each. I didnt want to change everything to poly bushes incase I made the car too harsh.

I'm looking to change them once I ve done the roll bar and maybe a brace.

I promissed me self that I wouldnt be doin out else tut car but I'm already thinking bout this upgrade already.

Damn new years resolutions, it isnt even 2004 yet

Any way, I'm off on one again and its on my home line (not works) so gotta go.

All the best.

Tight northern monkey.:

[Edited by STE.W.(atome) - 12/31/2003 9:03:09 AM]