Notices

Suspension experts : look at this.

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2003, 07:13 PM
Creepy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking of upgrading the suspension on my MY99, as far as I know, the best way to ruin the handling is to lower with some cheap springs and buying the cheapest tyres available...

But I'm more of a look around guy : The first thing I want is an everyday drivable car, with some decent suspenion travel to go over speed ramps and ride over rutted roads.
The second thing I want is less roll in corners and on the ciruit.

So, keeping this in mind I want to go for other stabilizers instead of spending a fortune on Leda's or Spax. I think this is for me a useless option because I drive 95% on the road ond only 4% on track (and 1% in the garage).

I have the STI VI springs and dampers on my car and find them hard enough, the ride height is no point for me. I like it as it is....

Could somebody give me some advice on all this because if I order parts from, say Witheline, it's difficult to choose whats good ans whats not....

Creepy
Old 13 March 2003, 06:21 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

What handling trait do you want to correct?

Richard
Old 13 March 2003, 06:45 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I have fitted all the Whiteline parts shown in Demon Tweeks, and the car is GREAT. But, as previous comments be sure of what you want first. Go to www.whiteline.com.au and they tell you all about it.
Good luck.
Graham
Old 13 March 2003, 07:22 AM
Creepy
Scooby Regular

@ Dowser :
I want less roll in the corners, more grip (camber ??) but keeping the original springs and dampers. I think they will do because mostly I ride on public roads.
It's only on the track that the corner-leaning of the car is ennoying....

Creepy
Old 13 March 2003, 09:09 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yep - IMHO Whiteline ugly bits do the job.

ALK, Endlinks, Stabilisers and maybe a subframe/stiffener. An alignment later and you'll wonder what happened - for all the right reasons
Old 13 March 2003, 08:39 PM
Scooby Regular

Cool

The man from Tokyo is dead right. I ran my STi on whiteline parts before I fitted the coil overs and the car was very nice.
Are they ugly? You bet!
Graham
Old 17 March 2003, 10:05 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

You don't mention understeer - weird As above; ARB's, drop links and HD mounts plus the ALK - I'd normally suggest you just do the rear ARB at first, as this niccely cancels out inherent understeer. But this does come at a cost - front tyres get very stressed.

If you get both front and rear ARB's together, I'd suggest getting an adjustable rear. You can then fine tune things to your liking.

Richard
Old 17 March 2003, 08:02 PM
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dowser is right. My rear bar is the adjustable Whiteline type set on the stiffest setting to kill the understeer. On the softest setting, the understeer is scarey! I hill climb my car and remember going round one tight bend at 40 mph on full lock, not opposite lock....
This is why I fitted the MRT top mounts, to dial in 4 deg of caster, plus 3.5 deg of negative camber plus the ALK to finish it all of at the front, and eccentric camber bolts on the back @ 2 deg neg!!!God, it MUST go round bends now!
Again, go to www.whiteline.com.au!
Graham