Notices

Wheel tracking tests

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2003, 05:27 PM
wally
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For a few months now, I've tested different tracking settings on my MY2000 classic.
First with the original setup, and 16', my car understeered badly. Especially in the rain.
Then I went for the Prodrive setup, camber front was set to 1.5°, camber rear to 1.2°. Front tracking was set to 2mm toe in, and on the rear 1mm toe in on each wheel. With that setup, it reduced understeer a little, straight line was excellent, and cornering was normal.
Now I've set them like Whiteline recommend : camber the same as above (in the front that is the max., for the rear I made adjustable bolts.) The tracking is set now to 2mm toe out on the front and 1mm toe out at the rear.
I also have an ALK fitted ans solid swaybar links.
Whit that Whiteline setting, straight line is a little nervous, but cornering is magnificient. Almost no understeer, even in the wet. And when it start understeering the only thing is a little scrubbing from the tyres, before it slides almost immediately.
In the dry I have some oversteer when cornering hard.

The reason I put this here is that there are many opinions about the track settings. This is mine and I like it.
How about yours...???
Old 05 March 2003, 05:32 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

interesting wally. I have gone for the Powerstation geom settings, along with the bumpsteer mod. I dont have the figures to hand but can dig them out. Car drives much straighter, is better on cornering (less understeer, but it is still there). Biggest improvement is under heavy braking - previously the back end would slide around alarmingly, now it is totally straight. How is your setup under heavy braking?

Steve
Old 05 March 2003, 06:34 PM
wally
Scooby Regular

I didn't try this out, it was raining very heavy last night. Altough the wheels are now pointing outwards (toe out) both on ftont and rear, its holding the line very well.
As a bonus, my car had a vibration between 100-120 km/u, and thats now gone. Strange but true, normally this sort of vibration can only cleared with balancing...
Old 05 March 2003, 08:36 PM
wally
Scooby Regular

For the rear you're absolutely right.
About the front : I'm just experimenting with things : Because I have an ALK and links and so the front is much stiffer compared to standard, so it cannot flex that much.
I made a type mistake : its 1mm total toe out in the front, that means 0.5mm per wheel, and 2mm total toe out in the rear.

I will test it this weekend at the Nurburgring and tell you the results, if I don't crash of course..
Old 06 March 2003, 07:02 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i have no idea what mine is set to but it seams pretty nuetral to oversteer based

wet,sharp turns and 2 much throttle will bring the back end round, which is nice
Old 03 May 2003, 08:10 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Wally are you sure Whiteline suggest toe out front?
Also did you try zero toe (front)?
I thought that max camber front/zero toe, 1mm toe out per side rear is perfect for a neutral to oversteering car without problem on the wet.
JIM

PSepends also from driving preferences/style - it seems you like little bit oversteer like me!

[Edited by JIM THEO - 3/6/2003 7:06:44 AM]