Notices

A few KW variant 3 questions

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2003, 06:40 PM
driggity
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Well it seems that the KW coilovers just aren't popular for WRXs in the USA so I'm hoping that you guys can answer some questions for me. First of all how are these for a daily driven car? I'm looking for something that isn't real stiff and won't need to be rebuilt or serviced often. Secondly, how are the compression and rebound adjustments made? I was sent some information from KW in Germany on this but it seems to be generic and not WRX specific. It seems that with some models of their suspension the adjustments can only be made with the coilovers off the car. I do not want this. And finally why is the price from the North American distributer $600 US higher than the price from MotorsportWorld in the UK? Ok, I don't expect any of you guys to be able to answer that but maybe it explains why they aren't as popular here. The Variant 1's here cost about the same as the Variant 3's in the UK. Fortunately my father lives outside of London so he may be able to pick them up and send them to me.

Thanks
Old 25 February 2003, 12:18 AM
driggity
Scooby Newbie

Talking

I know some one out there can help me. Please
Old 25 February 2003, 07:13 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Even cheaper if you buy direct from KW in Germany http://www.kw-gmbh.de/ - the German page includes pricing if you can decode it.

I'd say these are a bit extreme unless you're intending track work - even on their softest settings I was quicker point to point on bumpy B roads with Eibach's and adjustable Koni's. They excel on track though

Bump/rebound adjustment can be done on car, but rebound is on the bottom of the strut (on mine - about 18 months old now) - I need to jack the car up to adjust easily. Bump is on the strut top - if you've a sedan then it's a pig to adjust. No such problems with a wagon

In the cold mine rattle very badly until they're thoroughly warmed up - but I guess this is pretty standard with coil-overs?

Richard
Old 26 February 2003, 01:08 AM
driggity
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. Sounds like they might be a little too stiff for what I want but I'm not ruling them out yet. I do have a wagon so getting to the top of the struts for adjustment is a breeze. Its also nice to know that they're even cheaper from Germany. I do kind of worry about ordering them from so far away if they need servicing though. One thing I forgot to ask earlier is if they come with the top mounts and if these are adjustable for camber and/or caster.

Again, thanks for the info and I'd thanks in advance for anything anyone else can say.