Notices

Height adjustment on coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2002, 03:47 PM
pban
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few questions regarding coilover dampers

Are the C spanner's a standard size for all coilovers?

Are there any norms to use when adjusting the ride height when fitting/setting up. I think what I'm asking is when I adjust the the damper prior to fitting on the car, is there and measurement from say the top mount and the bottom of the spring/threaded adjustment to start me off?

Anyone with any experience of fitting their coilover systems, what settings do you start with?

Any advice at all

Paul
Old 17 December 2002, 12:15 AM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

paul

re. the ride height

wind the adjuster nuts until they compress the spring by say, one turn and put the struts on the car (dont worry about locking the nuts together). drop the car and drive it back and forth a couple of times to settle the suspension (find very very flat tarmac). you should do this each time you adjust anything. to set the ride height, measure from the centre of the wheel to the arch or from the floor to the seam behind the side skirt. make adjustments by jacking each corner up in turn and winding the nuts up or down (no need to remove the wheel each time).
the opposite sides should be the same height but front to back is debatable (scoobysport recommend 1/2" higher at the back). when your happy with the height, lock the nuts and take for a spin and try to bottom it out. if it bottoms take all four corners up the same amount until it doesnt.

the job is only half done though. the corner distribution percentages need adjusting so the sum of the diagonally opposite wheels divided by the total weight is as close to 50% as possible.

i.e. ((front right + rear left)/sum of all 4 corner weights)x100=50%. work with one diagonal as the remainder of say 51% is the other diagonal (49%). you can actually get the corner percentages right by adjusting one corner only. you need a corner weight gauge for this though and very flat tarmac. you should also sit someone of your weight in the drivers seat with half a tank of fuel etc.

hope this helps.

kippax.

Old 17 December 2002, 08:54 AM
pban
Scooby Regular

Thanks Kippax

I shall follow your advice.

Just need to find a c spanner to fit my dampers

Paul