Notices

Recommendation for geometry set up in Herts

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2002, 07:28 PM
kwack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

As the topic says, I need the geometry set up. Can anyone recommend a place that can do it in either Herts or surrounding counties.

Watford based

Kwack

Also I have heard of Prodrive settings and one place said it made the suspension harder and woudl cost more to do. What is a Prodrive set up. Surely it is just dialing in different toe in etc
Old 10 October 2002, 11:43 PM
jamesjones
Scooby Regular

The Subaru dealer in Baldock (just north of Stevenage) will do the Prodrive geometry setup, but said they don't recommend it because the tyres wear out really quickly. One customer only did 3k miles on a set of tyres.

My question is, do all Prodrive cars wear their tyres out like this? If not do they have something additional to the standard cars? I'm thinking of getting a set of Eibach springs before doing my Prodrive settings.

J
Old 11 October 2002, 08:36 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

As I understand it, the Prodrive Geometry settings (for this is all they are) run a lot of toe in to counter the Bump Steer that Subaru designed into the car. This will make it steer better but the downside/side effect is as you say, incresed tyre wear. A better mod is the Bump Steer Mod from Powerstation which removes the Bump Steer without a compromise, added to this they will also do a proper 4 wheel alignment and the difference is staggering. The Prodrive settings which as I said are Geometry alone cannot compete with the BSM which is more than just Geom (they shim the rack).

Having said all that, what car do you have because on the MY01/02, Subaru virtually removed the designed in Bump Steer (which means it doesn't need removing with the BSM ) and so Geomety alone is all you need.

Personally, I'd still recommend Powerstation (as this is where I always go for handling/suspension work) as IMHO they do a very good and accurate job!

If you don't want to travel to Cheltenham then any competent mechanic with the right alignment equipment could do the job, as long as they know what they are doing.

Hope this helps,

Matt