Wheel Wobble !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2002, 11:18 AM
Gazza_W1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi Guys,

I still have a wheel wobble after getting all 4-wheels balance. See my previous thread :

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=120533

I am trying to eliminate whether it's the wheels or a worn suspension/Steering component. I have no play in my wheels or steering rack. What else should I be looking for ??
The wheel vibration is intermittent but mainly does it at 70/80mph. Should this indicate more of a worn component rather than an unbalance wheel problem ?? If it was an unbalance wheel. Would it wobble all the time at the same speed ??

Please help as I am pulling my hair out !!!

cheers

Gary.
Old 02 September 2002, 03:29 PM
Ragos Elias
Scooby Regular

Gary,

Don't know much but it could be a warped rear wheel, or destroyed rear bearing or rear shaft. Check all these things as they are related with wheel wobble.

Hope it helps.

Elias
Old 03 September 2002, 10:36 PM
nichop
Scooby Regular

Hi Gary. I still have exactly the same problem and in fact has got worse since swapping front wheels to back and having new Toyos on the front. Is going to Dealer next week for investigation. They reckon could be warped wheel. I'll keep u posted.

Nick
Old 04 September 2002, 08:03 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Question

Don't know how relevant it is but have you seen this thread? It was the mention of Toyos that reminded me.
Old 04 September 2002, 08:29 AM
nichop
Scooby Regular

yes, thanks for that. I had picked it up from an earlier comment on another thread (possibly by yourself). Does seem a bit of a coincidence. Need to check if there is any other possible cause before I go back to the tyre people.

cheers

Nick
Old 04 September 2002, 08:38 AM
Gazza_W1
Scooby Regular

Hi nichop,

When you say a warped wheel. Are you talking about the alloy wheel or the hub ??
Let us know how you get on. I am convince that mine is a worn balljoint or something by the feeling of it or even a damper. If it was a wheel/tyre/balancing problem then it would do it all the time.

cheers

Gary
Old 05 September 2002, 12:33 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Smile

Have the wheels off the car and check on the inside of the wheel rim, see if you can see and "flat spots", as quite often, you can drive over a pot hole and cause this type of damage quite easily. It does appear as if you may have more than one rim like this, but ususlly it is easily noticed when they were balanced [again]. yet again, you did say it became more noticeable when you swopped the wheels back to front, so best chect the 2 front ones more seriously.
Old 05 September 2002, 12:39 PM
nichop
Scooby Regular

Thanks scoobyslut. I've just had them balanced again and switched bach (ie front to back) so they are now as before. I did watch as they were spun up and didn't notice any flat spots but I could have missed it. There is less vibration now but still there.
Into Dealer next week but don't have much faith in their ability to sort this. Still suspicious of the tyres. One thing I noticed as they were being spun was that the contact surface of the tyre was not flat, ie there were undulations in the surface. Is this normal ?

Nick
Old 05 September 2002, 12:41 PM
g60stu
Scooby Regular

My MY99 exhibits the same problem (since I bought it 6 months ago). I too am really cheesed off with this.

I recently had a couple of Eagle F1's on stuck on the front wheels (standard 5 spokes). I get the same problem at about 70/80mph. I had the wheels balanced 3 times with no luck. Vibration is more when the car is cold (???).

This has confused me and I wouldn't have the first clue where to start. All I know is that if there were any flat spots on the alloy causing poor balanced then this would be picked up by the person balancing the tire? right?

Stuart
Old 05 September 2002, 02:25 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

I have this on both my 93 wrx AND my works landrover discovery both at about 70/80 and both have had wheels balanced and checked for flatspots. Have you had the geometry checked coz the landie is miles out on the front right according to the garage so I'm off to get the scoob checked when I get back from holiday. I have tried 2 sets of wheels with different tyres and the wobble is always there in various strengths
Old 06 September 2002, 01:02 AM
nichop
Scooby Regular

Stuart, which dealer do you go to ? I notice you are in Reading. I go to Lancaster Pangbourne and so far they've been very helpful trying to sort this out for me. I'm taking my car to them on Tues for full geometry, wheel balance (for the 5th time ). The plan is to put another full set of wheels and tyres on the car and then see if the problem is there. This will prove whether it is wheel/tyre problem or something else. Mine is also an MY99.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Nick
Old 06 September 2002, 10:10 AM
g60stu
Scooby Regular

Hi Nick,

I bought the car at SGT but I do go to Lancaster Pangbourne a bit. I was actually in there this morning to get the air flow sensor replacing under warranty for another problem (first impressions driving to work today indicate that the problem isn't fixed ).
Maybe I should report this wheel wobble. I've got 2 days left on the 3 year warranty (they're gona love me!!!).

Cheers
Stuart
Old 06 September 2002, 02:50 PM
Gazza_W
Scooby Regular

Keep up with the updates lads. I would love to get to the bottom of the problem.

Cheers

Gary.
Old 11 September 2002, 05:42 PM
nichop
Scooby Regular

FIXED !!!!!!!!!!!!

Boy am I over the moon (in case you couldn't tell). Just got back from Lancaster Pangbourne and all the wheel wobble has gone and the car feels rock solid. So what did they do.

Well 2 things. First of all they re-balanced the wheels. Then they did full geometry. This is where it gets interesting. I'd already had the wheels balanced 4 times previously by different tyre places and one of those was just checking that the previous balance was correct (which it was). My geometry was miles out. For a while it had felt unsettled without that 'planted' feeling I had when I first got the car. Apparantly I have toe out !!! So they reset all the geometry and now....its great. My conclusion is, despite many people's protestations otherwise, that geometry was contributing, if not exclusively responsible for the vibration/wheel wobble.

So, for those with probs, might be worth getting the geometry checked. Take it to Lancaster as I have great confidence in them now
Old 11 September 2002, 07:09 PM
g60stu
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear it's fixed. I guess I should get my geometry checked then.

Cheers
Stuart
Old 12 September 2002, 09:01 AM
Gazza_W1
Scooby Regular

Hi nichop

Glad to hear you have fixed it at last !!!

I've had my geometry done and it did not make any difference to the wobble ... I have the prodrive settings at the moment which had made the car feel very good around corners.
I also had the wobble before I have my geometry done. So it's either a dodgy wheel balance on the front wheels or something else !! Bloody annoying because it's intermittent !!
Was yours intermittent ?? Worst on different roads/road sufaces ??

Cheers

Gary.
Old 12 September 2002, 06:50 PM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

It is worth checking to see if the front discs are warped or not running true to the wheel rotation. I experienced this after a set of front discs were taken of to be skimmed and put back on. If the
back of the discs and the hubs are not completely cleaned up, they can end up slightly out of true. It feels exactly like an unbalanced wheel with the vibration getting worse with increasing speed.