Notices

Tel's Big Day Out at Powerstation

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2002, 11:50 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Well, standing around a garage with nothing specific to do for 10 hours wouldn't normally be my idea of a good day out, but the guys at Powerstation yesterday made it a very worthwhile experience.

They did;

Bumpsteer mod and geometry set-up
Anti-lift kit
Eibach springs
Whiteline rear anti-roll bar
Metal drop links

Big thanks to Welsh Nick, who knows probably all there is to know about his stuff. What he won't do for a fraction of a degree of alignment is astonishing.

My fear was that the Eibachs (with standatd dampers) would be too stiff. They aren't. In a straight line, you really wouldn't know the difference. They're a touch lower, maybe 3/4 of an inch, which is just right in my opinion.

The rear anti-roll bar feels more secure too. The metal drop links haven't added to stiffness either, it just feels more composed.

The anti-lift kit and bumpsteer mod i can't really comment on yet, as there weren't too many hairpins in the M25 on the way home.

Overall impression - much tighter handling, more predictable cornering, and no compromise in overall comfort. Recommended.

Terry
Old 23 July 2002, 12:34 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Wink

I take it your car was the Silver wagon on the ramps when i popped in yesterday, i had the same mods, except the ALK done to my STi7 last week and am very impressed.

simon
Old 23 July 2002, 12:50 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Simon,

Yep, that was the one! I'm now itching to get the car out and about some decent roads to see exactly what it can do for me.

By the way, the STi7 in black looks superb - first one i've seen...
Old 23 July 2002, 12:59 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Terry how much did that little lot cost u, if u dont mind me asking?
Old 23 July 2002, 01:11 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Not at all m8, got the receipt right here;

labour was £120 for the Eibachs, ALK and rear anti roll bar, and another £120 for the bumpsteer and geometry set-up.

The Eibachs were £135, ALK £125, anti-roll bar £100 (with uprated bushes) and metal drop links £38. And mine also needed a camber bolt, which about 50% of cars do, which was £21.

So, total cost i make it £659 before VAT, or £771 including.

But i got it all done at once so i don't have to keep going back, which has to work out cheaper in the long run...

Terry

Old 23 July 2002, 01:22 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

and i see from another thread u got dawes n unichip installed to! major dent to your wallet eh its all good though. Bet it felt like a new car. Modding to the max I like it.
Old 23 July 2002, 01:38 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Red face

Tell me about it!! Beans on toast for a month.

Problem is, i bought a non-STi wagon, mainly as i thought insurance and the ride firmness would be a problem. If i'd held on a few months, i'd have almost certainly gone for an STi.

So now, i've been on a bit of an STi-equaling mission, which i figured would be easier and cheaper than buying and selling cars.

And after yesterday, i think i'm there!

But whatever happens, i'm NOT buying a pink badge just to pretend!!
Old 25 July 2002, 01:56 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

Welsh Nick, LOL
The anti-lift kit and bumpsteer mod i can't really comment on yet, as there weren't too many hairpins in the M25 on the way home.
What's wrong with that fantastic set of bends as you leave Cheltenham going back up the A40, perfect for testing your mods....not to mention that roundabout a few miles on in the middle of nowhere with perfect tarmac and great visability

Matt
Old 26 July 2002, 09:43 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Matt,

I know, they're great roads. But only single carriageway. Which makes drivers doing a steady 45mph in front even more irritating! And when you're in a newly-modified car which you don't really know much about, overtaking on an unfamiliar road isn't the best plan, IMO!

One of those roads which must be great at 5am on a sunday morning...!
Old 26 July 2002, 10:13 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

... or with 300bhp+ and at midday

Seriously, the small section of "two lanes" (couldn't quite call is dual carrigeway), coming up the hill out of Cheltenham is surely one of the best sections of road for testing suspension setups. The surface is quite poor, you are constantly changing direction and some of it is blind

Cheers

Ian

[Edited by IWatkins - 7/26/2002 10:15:44 AM]
Old 26 July 2002, 05:35 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

And when you're in a newly-modified car which you don't really know much about, overtaking on an unfamiliar road isn't the best plan
But you usually do overtaking in a straight line - I doubt your mods would be noticable in that case

Ian, sometimes I envy you for living out there in the sticks, far from civilisation

Matt
Old 27 July 2002, 10:50 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Cool

Matt,

You're right. But they didn't just do these suspension shanges, they did a Unichip and Dawes as well, so it was really the performance characteristics which i was least familiar with.

Gotta say though, very impressed so far. Some people (especially Deep Singh - he still around?) had bad experiences with this, but it seems to have worked well on mine. About 30 lbs/ft increase in torque, which can't be bad..