Notices

Suspension gurus I need your help

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2002, 09:00 AM
b5m
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

My standard MY00 Turbo is very soft initially on roll in a corner. If you go into a corner at first it leans alot and then starts to firm up. In faster bends I find this very vague. I have Prodrive geometry settings but it doesnt help with this.

How do I get rid of this behanviour? My MY99 didnt do this but I dont know what was done to it. I would prefer not to change the overall handling of the car by going for a low and hard spring/shock combination. I also dont think thicker ARBs are what I am after. Will changing the to firmer ARB mounts or solid droplinks improve this?
Old 20 June 2002, 11:30 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

No guru in moi, but I have done the mods you are talking about.

Drop links will help, but you'll only be getting the most out of the std. ARBs at that point. IMHO they a good starting point though - the endlinks are basically the first stop over here (others have different opinions of course) for those wanting less roll & more poise - and if you are going to upgrade the ARBs at some stage, you may want to upgrade them to get max benefit anyway.

Just about every Subie tuner sells their version of links.

Hope this helps a tad.
Old 20 June 2002, 11:44 AM
rovo
Scooby Regular

Shock absorbers of a good quality will do a lot for this initial feeling of turn, they don't have to be hard but of a good quality (with enough low speed damping).
Old 23 June 2002, 01:46 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rovo is onto it...

the symptoms you describe are just a function of the way springs work... Dampers on the other hand don't need to settle into the bend before resisting roll, they will resist instantly.

You might find the characteristics you are after by fitting better dampers.

ARBs will help with roll resistence (obviously) but they are basically just a spring so will have a similar feel to the springs unless you go REALLY stiff (which is not usually a good thing).

All the best

Simon