"Widetracking" a Classic

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2018, 05:57 PM
alessio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question "Widetracking" a Classic

Hi, everyone!

I'm at a point with my Classic wagon where narrow tyres are becoming the bottleneck in terms of race track performance so I'm looking at ways to fit wider ones (the biggest slicks I can currently fit are 200 wide and I'm thinking of at least 240 to give me better turn-in and overall grip) under the car. Widening the body is one thing but I was also thinking of the knuckle outboards so that the scrub radius, etc, remain in the ballpark of where Subaru has intended it instead of playing with adapters and wheel offset.

I currently have a 6-speed from a V7 STI on the car and the setup is as follows:
Front
Classic alloy lower control arms
Original classic knuckles and hubs
V7 STI axles

Rear
Original classic control and lateral arms
R180 diff
V7 STI axles
V7 STI knuckels / hubs

I'm looking for advice on what I can and should do to make the track wider. Ideally I'd like to retain the 5x100 PCD, just too many wheels for street and track use, but I suppose 114.3 hubs can be redrilled if it comes to that.

As far as I know the front and rear lower control arms are longer on the widetrack STI so that's one thing.
Do the front and rear knuckles have a different geometry to the classic (F) and V7 (R) ones?
Will the classic lateral arms work?
What axles will I be able to use for a wider setup?

Sorry, long post with many questions but I'm hoping someone here with more Newage knowledge than I have will be able to help.

Thanks,
Alex