Notices

Rear strut clunk fix

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2016, 02:00 PM
Jo3zzz
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear strut clunk fix

Like many of you, my Hawkeye WRX has the famous rear strut clunk. I took it back to the dealership about 1500 miles ago and they repacked the struts with grease. About 500 miles later, the clunking came back! It feels like a bolwing ball is rolling around in my trunk when coming to a stop, reversing or pulling away not to mention the noise over speed bumps and rough roads!

Today I tried a temporary fix that has worked for me, I'm not sure how long it will last for but its a pretty simple process so I don't mind repeating this when the knocks show up until I replace them. All you will need is some hydraulic jack oil (I got a 500ml bottle from halfords for £4.99) and either a oil syringe or an oil can. Here is the syringe i used with some vacuum hose on the end:

All you need to do is Jack up the rear of the car, pull back the dust cover (from the bottom of the strut) and dribble some oil where the shock absorber goes into the cylinder. Make sure you dribble the oil all around the cylinder, it helps to use the vacuum hose to get to the rear of the strut without removing the wheel. Replace the dust cover, lower the car and go for a drive! I took mine over some speed bumps to help spread the oil and so far all the clunking has stopped!
Old 04 November 2016, 06:34 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you seen the grease nipple mod that a few have done? Might last abit longer
Old 04 November 2016, 07:01 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

I did the grease nipple mod on all 4 of my shocks a year ago as both my rears and one of my fronts were knocking badly...still silent to this day.