GC8 sport suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2016, 09:15 AM
jop57
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GC8 sport suspension upgrade

hi

just got a 1999 classic 2.0 non turbo for use on road / targa rallys and I am looking for some advice on shock absorber and springs.

limited budget so £1000.00 sets are out the question.

I assume coilovers will be to hard, anyone had experience of the £300 gold sets on ebay?

i seem to remember having an issue with front top / spring mounts when i tried to fit turbo struts to a sport a few years back

are the later bug eye or hawk eye any better and if so will they fit

increased ride hieght can be useful on the rough stuff, will forester springs fit turbo struts without being ridicously high

any advice please.
Old 29 March 2016, 06:00 PM
PedroFT
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jop57
hi
I assume coilovers will be to hard, anyone had experience of the £300 gold sets on ebay?
I do... got a set to fit it on a friends car, and the spring rates are ridiculously hard. After installation, when you lower the car, it barely moves. I've had my car on stock suspension, and now on Tein Pro-Street. I also know BC Coilovers from an other friends car, and people usually complain about BC being to hard, but ebay ones (actually are maxspeedingrods) are even harder. The kit he bought was the non adjustable one, there are a couple that have preload adjustment, I don't know if they are any better, or even if a couples hundred miles they get any better (installation was done last week).
They do look like a decent quality item, meaning it doesn't look like it's going to breakdown easily and with a "lighter" spring they can be be a nice product.

hi
i seem to remember having an issue with front top / spring mounts when i tried to fit turbo struts to a sport a few years back
Classic chassis is the same... so you shouldn't have any issues.

hi
Do a search, newage versions have different stud diameter on the rear.

increased ride hieght can be useful on the rough stuff
If you need increased ride height, then don't go for the ebay coilovers. The max they can do in the front is standard height.
There is a very interesting thread on nasioc, about suspension, you should read it.

Last edited by PedroFT; 29 March 2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 29 March 2016, 08:11 PM
jop57
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the advice, sounds like coil overs will be no good so will stick to subaru parts

will check out the nasioc site.
Old 12 April 2016, 10:18 AM
JC-Impreza
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hi

just got a 1999 classic 2.0 non turbo for use on road / targa rallys and I am looking for some advice on shock absorber and springs.

limited budget so £1000.00 sets are out the question.

increased ride hieght can be useful on the rough stuff, will forester springs fit turbo struts without being ridicously high

any advice please.

I tried a set of the £300 ebay coilovers. I really got what I paid for, very, very harsh and uncomfortable and didn't handle well at all as too jumpy. Stay well clear