Notices

Coilovers what a waste of time

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2016, 03:48 PM
JC-Impreza
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Coilovers what a waste of time

What a waste of time, decided to fit a set of coilovers on my scooby classic but what a complete waste of time, money and effort.

Far too jumpy, far too hard, far too uncomfortable. Good job I kept my standard shocks and springs as they are going straight back on the car!

Rant over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!11
Old 08 March 2016, 03:56 PM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which coilovers did you put on your car? What are the spring rates?

I think that for some roads, they are too hard. Especially now as there are so many potholes that are not being fixed!

I assume you adjusted them properly?
Old 08 March 2016, 04:14 PM
InTurbo
Scooby Regular

Your almost certainly be better off with a spring and damper combo for road use, Even the more softer coilovers are still fairly harsh, Mainly due to the solid top mounts.
Old 08 March 2016, 04:49 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Strooth, that was a fairly sweeping statement! nice rant! well done!

Not all coilovers are born equal, some are more track focussed, some are more trackday road car focussed, if you just bought them and bunged them on without any time getting the setup right i wouldnt be at all suprised if theyre not right. For all you know you could be sitting on the bumpstops and effectively have no suspension at all.

I run coilovers on my daily and its in no way harsh or nasty, but there is obviously always going to be a bit of a trade off for comfort against handling, feedback and grip.

What brand were they, new or 2nds? how long did you spend dialling them in? who did the allignment and how long did it take? etc.
Old 08 March 2016, 06:26 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by legacy_gtb
Strooth, that was a fairly sweeping statement! nice rant! well done!

Not all coilovers are born equal, some are more track focussed, some are more trackday road car focussed, if you just bought them and bunged them on without any time getting the setup right i wouldnt be at all suprised if theyre not right. For all you know you could be sitting on the bumpstops and effectively have no suspension at all.

I run coilovers on my daily and its in no way harsh or nasty, but there is obviously always going to be a bit of a trade off for comfort against handling, feedback and grip.

What brand were they, new or 2nds? how long did you spend dialling them in? who did the allignment and how long did it take? etc.

If you run the car too low, regardless of the coilover quality, you risk hitting the bump stops on anything harsher than a small bump.
Old 08 March 2016, 07:36 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legacy_gtb
My bet says BC racing.
Old 08 March 2016, 09:22 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Old 08 March 2016, 10:05 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KYB AGX and set of decent springs would be better setup
Old 09 March 2016, 12:20 AM
PedroFT
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread makes no sense! I run Tein Street Basis and the car has a great ride.
Obivouslly if you go for 250£ ebay coilovers, you'll get what you pay for.
Old 09 March 2016, 01:22 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

had bc coilovers, even on softest setting i hated them
Old 09 March 2016, 06:43 AM
goatblower
Scooby Regular

I've got no issues with the exe-tc fast road coilovers on my bugeye, great ride & handling
Old 09 March 2016, 07:05 AM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by goatblower
I've got no issues with the exe-tc fast road coilovers on my bugeye, great ride & handling
You won't have mate, they are by fast the best roadgoing coil over set up. So compliant! Why do you think RCM sell them!
Mine have been superb!
Old 09 March 2016, 08:47 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Drive some proper coilovers such as KWs, Bilsteins or exe tcs. BCs are cheap crap simple as that
Old 09 March 2016, 08:53 AM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

As this thread demonstrates, like oil and tyres there is a lot of room for subjectivity in suspension.

Personally have never got along with coilovers for the road on any car, most recently Eibach Pro Street S struts which came fitted to my blob. Previous owners raved about these however I promptly replaced them with springs and struts as well as replacing the Whiteline roll bars with OEM items. On other cars I've tried KWv3, D2, and disliked them all. (Speaking strictly for road use: track is another matter.)

Having got the blob into a setup that suited me perfectly a friend of mine (who likes it stiff) commented that the ride was too soft. Horses for courses.
Old 09 March 2016, 09:24 AM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

Bilstein on mine.once the roll centre kit was fitted they were spot on.
The ride can be a bit harsh at times but it corners like a go-kart.
Old 09 March 2016, 09:49 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Buy cheap, buy twice.

If I were putting coilovers on my road car (which I've done many times and won't do again) I'd spend some good money as Banny suggested and buy a good quality brand, otherwise you'll certainly compromise the ride quality of your car. Personally, for an every day road car, decent shocks & lowering springs all the way!
Old 09 March 2016, 10:04 AM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

To the OP, please post what coilovers you tried so others can benefit from your experience and potentially save them from a costly mistake. While suspension is very subjective it could still help people choose.
Old 09 March 2016, 09:28 PM
bro82
Scooby Regular

what springs and shocks would you recommend for road use?
I about to change mine current set up and I'm not fancy buying coilovers just for road use
Old 10 March 2016, 08:49 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

On my Hawk I'm using new Subaru WRX shocks with Tein S Tech springs. Gives quite a big drop and I find it still drives very well, much better then the original WRX spring. I do have camber bolts front and rear too so it could be setup properly. Makes for a lovely every day drive and a very good fast road setup in my opinion. Not too uncomfortable.

On my Forester STI I've got full Pedders struts and springs and can't say enough good things about them. They are probabbly a little softer than the original STI setup, but handle and ride great. Today the car is in for all new uprated bushes, 22mm adjustable rear ARB, camber bolts and full geo setup. So I'll see how she goes tomorrow!
Old 10 March 2016, 05:43 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've currently got BCRM's inverted track coilovers with all road bars on hard and a fully polybushed car....You know nothing about a harsh ride
Old 10 March 2016, 05:50 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

LOL. You don't like your spine then?
Old 10 March 2016, 06:01 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a tad harsh over bumps...but on flat stuff it's awesome, it's set up for a few track days a year but can always change my arb's to soften it up but can't be arsed at the mo as its too cold
Old 10 March 2016, 07:56 PM
JC-Impreza
Scooby Regular

ok it was the cheapies off ebay I tried with and with hindsight I totally agree with the "you get what you pay for".

I only went with the coilovers as I wanted more stiffness in the suspension for trackdays and I have just fitted a set of wider 18 inch wheels and wanted to ensure I couldnt raise or lower the height of the suspension to ensure the wheels cleared all suspension parts and wheel arches etc.

Hence due to my experience with the harshness of the coilovers I have reverted back to my what I think is standard suspension that came with the car.

Now only occasionally the back wheels are catching the rear arches where they are wider and out further than the previous wheels. I still have 3cm of clearance between top of wheel and wheel arch.

Basically I dont want to change the wheels as they suit the car and I dont want coilovers. The wheels only catch very occasionally on big jumps in the road or acute turns up or down hills or where there is large camber on the road

Has anyone got any suggestions how to overcome this as I hate any unusual noises etc etc. Would stiffer springs help?
Old 10 March 2016, 08:04 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Roll arches and put camber bolts on rear, should sort it depending how much it's catching
Old 10 March 2016, 09:08 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by JC-Impreza
ok it was the cheapies off ebay I tried with and with hindsight I totally agree with the "you get what you pay for".

I only went with the coilovers as I wanted more stiffness in the suspension for trackdays and I have just fitted a set of wider 18 inch wheels and wanted to ensure I couldnt raise or lower the height of the suspension to ensure the wheels cleared all suspension parts and wheel arches etc.

Hence due to my experience with the harshness of the coilovers I have reverted back to my what I think is standard suspension that came with the car.

Now only occasionally the back wheels are catching the rear arches where they are wider and out further than the previous wheels. I still have 3cm of clearance between top of wheel and wheel arch.

Basically I dont want to change the wheels as they suit the car and I dont want coilovers. The wheels only catch very occasionally on big jumps in the road or acute turns up or down hills or where there is large camber on the road

Has anyone got any suggestions how to overcome this as I hate any unusual noises etc etc. Would stiffer springs help?
What width wheels and et?
Tyre size?
Which current struts?
Wheel centre to arch distances, front and rear + how much fuel in the tank?
Old 10 March 2016, 09:10 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

clean the Arch lips and get the arches rolled by someone who knows how to do it without buggering your rear quarters
Old 10 March 2016, 09:38 PM
JC-Impreza
Scooby Regular

would bigger bump stops work?
Old 10 March 2016, 10:26 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by JC-Impreza
would bigger bump stops work?
Yes. I could suggest something - better if you answered my previous questions, first.

Or use a new oem rear set:
http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...y=&searchPart=

In combination with these:
Raid HP 300025 Clip-On Bump Stops 21 mm Diameter Prevents the Bodywork From Bumping into the Wheels: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike Raid HP 300025 Clip-On Bump Stops 21 mm Diameter Prevents the Bodywork From Bumping into the Wheels: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
Old 10 March 2016, 10:33 PM
JC-Impreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2pot
Yes. I could suggest something - better if you answered my previous questions, first.

Or use a new oem rear set:
http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...y=&searchPart=

In combination with these:
Raid HP 300025 Clip-On Bump Stops 21 mm Diameter Prevents the Bodywork From Bumping into the Wheels: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
thanks for the advice, sorry I didn't answer your original questions.

Do these definately work as dont really want to spend the money and find out I have the same problem
Old 10 March 2016, 10:40 PM
JC-Impreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2pot
What width wheels and et?
Tyre size?
Which current struts?
Wheel centre to arch distances, front and rear + how much fuel in the tank?
They are 8 x 18 inches wheels with ET40
Tyre size are 215/40/18
Current struts are standard
I can measure wheel centre to arch distance if needed and there has been 1/2 to 3/4 tank of fuel currently

Quick Reply: Coilovers what a waste of time