Hawkeye WRX wagon alloy wishbone fitment

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2015, 03:42 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hawkeye WRX wagon alloy wishbone fitment

Hi all,

Looking to upgrade my steel wishbones to alloy ones. Are there any issues I need to be aware of if fitting the saloon WRX wishbones? I have read somewhere the saloon is slightly wider track. Would this pose much of an issue at all if I were to fit them?

The other issue is that I will need wishbones with lobe that the headlight level adjuster attaches to. I assume this rules classic etc. wishbones out.

thanks,
Old 11 November 2015, 06:41 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Bump.. Anyone know at all? Looking to buy some alloy wishbones asap as want to get rid of the steels..

Thanks,
Old 11 November 2015, 07:41 PM
peskett
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought you had to use classic wishbone due to the different lengths on the wagon. Think you can use saloon ones but you have to use the struts aswell due to the camber alignment.
Old 11 November 2015, 07:57 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Any idea if the classic ones ever had the lobe for the headlight level sensors?

Old 11 November 2015, 08:16 PM
ian.e
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've recently fitted newage alloy arms to my bug wagon. The alloy arms are about 10mm longer from ball joint hole to where they bolt to the subframe. This gives about 20mm wider track, and a bit more negative camber, but not too extreme. Biggest problem is the mega toe in of the front wheels from the longer arms. You can wind the track rod ends out but this doesn't leave many turns holding it on. I got some bolts the same thread, and welded these to the track rod ends, so more meat holding them on.

I've heard the classic arms have a narrower bush at the subframe end, so will need a spacer to make it tight when bolted up. Hope this helps.
Old 12 November 2015, 05:34 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the informed reply.. Would an option be to fit Saloon Track rod arms and ends? are they longer at all?
Also what about drive shafts, are you over extending them at all?
Old 13 November 2015, 07:53 AM
ian.e
Scooby Regular

I think the track rod ends are all the same, not sure about the arms. The driveshafts appear to be ok. Don't think they'll be extended 10mm as they're further up the strut.

Trending Topics

Old 15 December 2015, 08:34 PM
mike_smith919
Scooby Newbie

Just done this on my blob wagon after wishbone failure, arb and drop links should really be done at same time to keep everything in line, I wound out the track rod ends and have had no issues with how much thread is left inside so far
Old 15 December 2015, 08:51 PM
IanG1983
Scooby Regular

Did you use a saloon wrx anti roll bar and what drop links? Just about fit some to my wagon. Might look at options of a longer tie rod end...
Old 15 December 2015, 08:57 PM
mike_smith919
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by IanG1983
Did you use a saloon wrx anti roll bar and what drop links? Just about fit some to my wagon. Might look at options of a longer tie rod end...
Yes saloon anti roll bar off a wrx I used, you could use an uprated one if wanted though as long as its saloon to match wider track, same with drop links wrx saloon ones or anything that will fit the saloon alloy arms I.e. The ones with the bolt either end not the hole...

That is original hub I painted them before refitting

Last edited by mike_smith919; 15 December 2015 at 08:59 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 15 December 2015, 09:05 PM
IanG1983
Scooby Regular

Perfect, will get a roll bar and links sorted before I got them. I wish Subaru hadn't scrimped in the first place, this job will cost me nearly £300 with all the new bushes etc. At least I won't have the worry of them snapping when I'm doing 70mph 😉 on the motorway!
Old 15 December 2015, 09:13 PM
mike_smith919
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by IanG1983
Perfect, will get a roll bar and links sorted before I got them. I wish Subaru hadn't scrimped in the first place, this job will cost me nearly £300 with all the new bushes etc. At least I won't have the worry of them snapping when I'm doing 70mph 😉 on the motorway!
Thankfully when mine went I was doin 20mph.. Still took my front wing out tho I'm looking into doing my suspension atm and trying to figure out which combo of parts I need, I.e. Saloon fronts wagon rears or convert rear to saloon or if they jus fit straight on or whatever... You would have thought they would just made it all the bloody same to keep it simple lol
Old 16 December 2015, 12:00 AM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Good info to know about the track rods etc. I had sort of given up on the idea to be honest as I cannot find any wishbones that will fit and have the small lobe for the headlight level
Old 16 February 2016, 09:57 PM
Dsc1983
Scooby Regular

Default Danny

Originally Posted by peskett
I thought you had to use classic wishbone due to the different lengths on the wagon. Think you can use saloon ones but you have to use the struts aswell due to the camber alignment.
hi can you tell me why you have to change the lower strut at all as I've got bc coil-overs and was wondering what's different mine are for a wagon but when I spoke to them she said the only difference was on the back and you'd need an extra part as it was unreachable or vice verse any info would be helpful as I'm in middle of doing my wagon. cheers