Notices

Which coilovers blob widetrack?

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2015, 04:17 PM
jonnyboy82
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Which coilovers blob widetrack?

Ive got the dreaded knocking from the rear so its time to upgrade the suspension to coilovers. Not too sure which to go for?
Old 18 August 2015, 04:48 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bilstein b14 kit, awesome and not harsh at all.. Almost feels like stock suspension

Martin
Old 18 August 2015, 05:27 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bilstein B14 with Max C top mounts

awesome.
Old 18 August 2015, 07:24 PM
MeisterR
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnyboy82
Ive got the dreaded knocking from the rear so its time to upgrade the suspension to coilovers. Not too sure which to go for?
There are lots of choices for coilovers.

First, we need to know what you are after before we can make any recommendation.

Are you after a fast road setup that do occasional track days?
Are you after a full on race setup that get trailered to the track?
They will have different suspension set up.

Then there is budget.
You can always pay more for more expensive suspension (Notice i didn't use the word better, because some expensive suspension are worst than cheaper one).

But depending on what your budget, you have different choices base on your need.
The point is to get the best value for your money.

Jerrick
Old 18 August 2015, 08:04 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

B14 or KW V3
Old 18 August 2015, 09:08 PM
jonnyboy82
Scooby Regular

I guess this would be me: a fast road setup that do occasional track days?

But whether I actually get to track it is another question. Budget is not an issue but then again i need to see what the costing is and options.
Old 18 August 2015, 09:26 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Bilstein can be had for 1k and personally take some beating, designed for and on the ring.

Perfect for everyday and mega on track, these will take some beating for the money.

Trending Topics

Old 18 August 2015, 09:42 PM
jonnyboy82
Scooby Regular

So how about BC? These are very popular?
Old 18 August 2015, 09:44 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

So how about BC? These are very popular?
There is a million threads on here, made in Japan cheaply, they knock and rattle etc.. Just cheap crap.

Buy once buy properly.
Old 18 August 2015, 10:10 PM
jonnyboy82
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BBB3
There is a million threads on here, made in Japan cheaply, they knock and rattle etc.. Just cheap crap.

Buy once buy properly.
Ok anything cheaper than £1k as I dont quite have this at the mo?
Old 18 August 2015, 10:31 PM
matieboy
Scooby Regular

Ive got Meister R Zeta R's on mine and I'm very happy with them comfortable on road and coped very well on a recent track evening at brands I got asked three times what set up I had as the car was going so well.
Old 19 August 2015, 12:08 AM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

I have to disagree with BBB3 in respect BC Racing Coilovers, I have had the BR series since owning my 04 and they stand up to my expectations at all levels.

Been manufactured in Japan does not mean they are cheaply / poorly made nor does it reflect that the product is crap, Don't forget we are talking about a Japanese vehicle.

imo Japanese technology should not be critisized as without Japan the world wouldn't be where it is today.

You can check the BC Coilovers here http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/br-series-coilovers
Old 19 August 2015, 07:22 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

As with most of the cheap coilovers BCs are manufactured in Taiwan not Japan. Tein are one of the few coilovers made in Japan.
Old 19 August 2015, 07:24 AM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

They are crashy ride, they will knock and clunk they are no were near in the same class as Bilstein or kW and just for a extra £200, they are just cheap rubbish in my view and I'm not the only one. I believe the BR are slightly better than the normal set up.
Old 19 August 2015, 05:05 PM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

Afterall.... We all have our own expectations and until experiencing better we remain happy with what we got... Would you agree?
Old 19 August 2015, 05:23 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

They are crashy ride, they will knock and clunk they are no were near in the same class as Bilstein or kW and just for a extra £200, they are just cheap rubbish in my view and I'm not the only one. I believe the BR are slightly better than the normal set up.
Agreed, my BC experience was not good at all. Fine I'm sure for a dedicated track car but no compliance on the road at all.

Spent a few grand swapping coilovers, eventually got the KW V3 and really haven't looked back.
Old 19 August 2015, 06:03 PM
MeisterR
Former Sponsor

I guess this would be me: a fast road setup that do occasional track days?

But whether I actually get to track it is another question. Budget is not an issue but then again i need to see what the costing is and options.
If you are trying to stay below £1000, then the MeisterR Zeta-R coilovers would do that job if that is what you are after.

The Zeta-R can be adjusted for a compliant fast road setup that will suit the driver (you) preference, and the damping adjustment allows you to stiffen the car on the occasional track days.
Like you say, some may not get to the track, but the adjustments is there should you ever need to use it.

That is what the Zeta-R was designed to do, and many owners have done that before hand.
As far as opinion, I will let other chime in.

I am only here to provide info on any questions that you may have.

Jerrick
Old 19 August 2015, 09:11 PM
jonnyboy82
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MeisterR
If you are trying to stay below £1000, then the MeisterR Zeta-R coilovers would do that job if that is what you are after.

The Zeta-R can be adjusted for a compliant fast road setup that will suit the driver (you) preference, and the damping adjustment allows you to stiffen the car on the occasional track days.
Like you say, some may not get to the track, but the adjustments is there should you ever need to use it.

That is what the Zeta-R was designed to do, and many owners have done that before hand.
As far as opinion, I will let other chime in.

I am only here to provide info on any questions that you may have.

Jerrick
Thanks Jerrick would be great to hear some reviews and feedback from any other scoobynet members.
Old 19 August 2015, 10:16 PM
matieboy
Scooby Regular

Like I said I'm very happy with my Meister R's I'm doing another track evening at brands in September your more than welcome to pop down for a lap or two
Old 19 August 2015, 10:20 PM
jonnyboy82
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matieboy
Like I said I'm very happy with my Meister R's I'm doing another track evening at brands in September your more than welcome to pop down for a lap or two
Thats very kind of you!

What top mounts did you fit?
Old 19 August 2015, 10:32 PM
matieboy
Scooby Regular

They come with top mounts fronts are adjustable
Old 20 August 2015, 06:11 AM
MeisterR
Former Sponsor

Thats very kind of you!

What top mounts did you fit?
Here is a picture of the MeisterR Zeta-R coilovers for the GD just to help you visualise what is in the box.

The front comes with camber adjustable pillow ball top mount, this will give you better control over your geometry as well as aid steering response.

The rear comes with a rubber isolated press steel top mount.
This top mount are designed to reduce suspension noise that plague Subaru on the GD chassis.

The coilovers are pre-assembled ready to bolt onto the car.
There is no need to re-use any old parts, so it is much quicker for installation also.
What that mean is there are less chances of things going wrong, and installation labor cost should be less as it should be a quicker job.

Jerrick
Old 20 August 2015, 07:13 AM
quklux
BANNED

bc's are very good for a money, 600 quid,clunk disappear when You put rubber rear top mounts,
You can't set up bilsteins soft hard like cheap bc's
bilstein are almost twice a price and rubbish to comparing to ohlins-Yes You put cheap rubbish to
kw's come with stainless steel body
You will be best with monotube progresive dumpers designed for specific car but do You really need it on road.
Old 20 August 2015, 07:42 AM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Default Which coilovers blob widetrack?

Bilsteins are cheap rubbish? They are perfect for the road and track, for the money they are one of the best there with KW - if you wanna pay 2k for a set of ohlins that do the same job on the road as a set of bilsteins go ahead, there are a few good other brands but they become silly money for a road car Witt the off track day.

Bilsteins are better than BC. Fact
Old 20 August 2015, 11:41 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Surely ride compliance is dependent to a large degree on the type of spring employed, regardless of make. The narrow diameter springs found on most coilovers are likely to be firmer and more uncomfortable on our useless roads than the larger diameter springs found on Bilstein and KW versions. These are similar to the OEM springs but with the advantage of height and damping adjustment, best of both worlds.
Old 20 August 2015, 05:15 PM
MeisterR
Former Sponsor

Spring rate plays a part in ride compliance but the damper/shock plays the larger part as it controls the springs. The diameter of the spring generally has nothing to do with the spring rate. The rate can be changed by material used and thickness of the actual spring. You can have a large 100mm diameter spring with only 2kg/mm its about the design.

Then of course softer springs will be more compliant than harder springs, all things being equal. So the important part for suspension manufactures is getting the right combination of damper specifications with a suitable spring rate at the right length.
Old 20 August 2015, 09:41 PM
Sarg400
Scooby Regular

I bought my car with bc coilovers on I find them ok there not crashy and they don't knock yet.

My mate had ast coilovers on his and they broke after a while, everyone raved about them on here. I've found over the years what ever coilovers you buy they don't last long.
Old 24 September 2015, 09:55 PM
jonnyboy82
Scooby Regular

How about HSD DualTech Coilovers? Anyone on here got these?
Old 26 September 2015, 05:01 PM
jonnyboy82
Scooby Regular

Anyone?
Old 04 November 2015, 11:12 PM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

I am another BC user with 6 and 5 kg F-R rating on a 05 WRX.

Id agree to some extent that they could be more compliant , but I have had no performance issues with them at the Ring. The dampers are adjustable from inside the car rear and I have found no clunking on mine after 25 thousand miles. The handling was transformed after throwing out the std suspension and lowering 30-40mm. The workmanship on them is good so IMHO for the money they are first class.

Are other makes better ? Sure I could imagine others with 5 and 4 kg spring rates the wife won't complain on the way to give birth but I paid 850 pounds for my BC "BRs" fitted and geometrically set , so you get to the hospital pretty dam quick using these. In fact I would go as far to say Id advise anyone that this should be the first mod on a WRX.

Quick Reply: Which coilovers blob widetrack?