Notices

Clunking After Suspension Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2015, 04:03 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clunking After Suspension Upgrades

I had some Bilstein B14 coilovers fitted last week and noticed a bit of clunking and crashing over moderate sized potholes. I raised the front by 10mm as it was quite low and there wasnt much tension on the springs, This helped a lot but was still some clunking over rough terrain.

I had a whitleine anti lift kit and a roll centre / bump steer kit fitted today and the clunking is now more evident. We checked and raised the height front and rear now the springs have settled but there is still more clunking than i would deem acceptable taking in account they are coilovers and are more noisy.

The rears are silent its just the fronts that are clunky, Im using my oe top mounts which are only 12 months old and everything else feel solid including drop links and bushes etc.

Has anybody had similar issues with the Bilstein's with either oe or aftermarket top mounts or can anybody comment on how they find theirs ??

Im having my car setup next week by Peter Cambridge at PCA Dynamics so all the geometry will be sorted out then.

Cheers
Dubzy

Last edited by Dubzy; 08 July 2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08 July 2015, 04:41 PM
Pedders01
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubzy
I had some Bilstein B14 coilovers fitted last week and noticed a bit of clunking and crashing over moderate sized potholes. I raised the front by 10mm as it was quite low and there wasnt much tension on the springs, This helped a lot but was still some clunking over rough terrain.

I had a whitleine anti lift kit and a roll centre / bump steer kit fitted today and the clunking is now more evident. We checked and raised the height front and rear now the springs have settled but there is still more clunking than i would deem acceptable taking in account they are coilovers and are more noisy.

The rears are silent its just the fronts that are clunky, Im using my oe top mounts which are only 12 months old and everything else feel solid including drop links and bushes etc.

Has anybody had similar issues with the Bilstein's with either oe or aftermarket top mounts or can anybody comment on how they find theirs ??

Im having my car setup next week by Peter Cambridge at PCA Dynamics so all the geometry will be sorted out then.

Cheers
Dubzy
Are you sure the top mount, bearing etc are assembled correctly? And that there is no "free play" in that area. Ie, the nut is clamping the mount, bearing etc to the top of the shock piston rod? And the spring is not slack when its jacked up?
Old 08 July 2015, 04:47 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Going to fit mine tomorrow mate when I have I'll let you know how they feel... Were yours brand new or used? These are the ones I'm fitting I picked up on Sunday

Name:  533109DD-350D-4ADA-BFA5-17B08520B6AA.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  412.4 KB

Martin
Old 08 July 2015, 04:47 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Everything is assembled correctly, done by a competent subaru mechanic and there seems to be no evident play anywhere, There is a fair amount of tension on the springs now ie no slack when jacked up. Seems odd its thats its now even more evident with the latest bits added.

Last edited by Dubzy; 10 July 2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08 July 2015, 04:49 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M2RTXhawkeye
Going to fit mine tomorrow mate when I have I'll let you know how they feel... Were yours brand new or used?

Martin
Mine are brand new mate, the handling and actual ride quality im very pleased with so you shouldnt be disappointed
Old 08 July 2015, 05:22 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Mine are brand new mate, the handling and actual ride quality im very pleased with so you shouldnt be disappointed
Cheers mate, fingers crossed.. I will let you know what they're like

Martin

Last edited by M2RTXhawkeye; 08 July 2015 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Just re read post
Old 08 July 2015, 05:55 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Yours look in good nick for used mate, I wont ask how much you paid for them as will only upset me after all the overtime i put in to pay for mine lol.

Trending Topics

Old 08 July 2015, 06:31 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Yours look in good nick for used mate, I wont ask how much you paid for them as will only upset me after all the overtime i put in to pay for mine lol.
Done 500 miles apparently they're in very good nic mate... Needed to replace my knocking tears so hopefully these are the cure and work well...hopefully they're not too harsh a ride

Martin
Old 10 July 2015, 09:18 AM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmm that seems odd. Be a bit careful with the preload on the spring when the damper is at full droop though, other wise they'll feel horrible and probably a bit bouncy You won't the spring held captive...but not really under any proper tension when the car is jacked up.
Old 10 July 2015, 11:35 AM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

I fit mine yesterday, have a clunk over potholes from fronts, I think the rears are alright... I've tightened the nut on the top hats on the fronts stopped it a little...

Martin
Old 10 July 2015, 12:07 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

It does sound as though the noise is from the top hat area on mine, everything is proper tight though so im a bit stumped now. I may have to enquire about different top mount alternatives.

What height have you got yours set to Martin ??

I thought there would be a few more users with these fitted, would like some input from how others are getting on with them..

Last edited by Dubzy; 10 July 2015 at 12:09 PM. Reason: addy
Old 12 July 2015, 12:07 AM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Mine were pre set mate, sit very nicely

Name:  7BA02EE7-DB2A-48FE-B11B-96C410321C1D.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  254.4 KB

Lad I bought them off has ordered me some spacers which sit between the spring and top hat from rcm so the fronts will come off fit them then see if hah cures the issue

Martin
Old 12 July 2015, 12:51 AM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Mine were pre set mate, sit very nicely

Lad I bought them off has ordered me some spacers which sit between the spring and top hat from rcm so the fronts will come off fit them then see if hah cures the issue

Martin
I think mine is just slightly lower, at present its 340mm front and rear. Im going to raise the front another 10mm tomorrow to see if it alters anything.

Ive read there was an issue on the legacy where they needed an extra washer / spacer to go in the top hat so maybe thats the issue here too.. Let me know how you get on before i start replacing everything lol.

Lovely car btw
Old 12 July 2015, 08:52 AM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a set of branded new bilsteins that I ain't fitted yet,

I have the MAX C top mounts to go on, I hope I don't get this
Old 12 July 2015, 12:18 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

I think mine is just slightly lower, at present its 340mm front and rear. Im going to raise the front another 10mm tomorrow to see if it alters anything.

Ive read there was an issue on the legacy where they needed an extra washer / spacer to go in the top hat so maybe thats the issue here too.. Let me know how you get on before i start replacing everything lol.

Lovely car btw
Thanks mate...

Well I'll try them when the part arrives and update should be end of the week.. I hope it fixes the problem as I won't be able to cope with the knock..

Martin
Old 12 July 2015, 12:18 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BBB3
I have a set of branded new bilsteins that I ain't fitted yet,

I have the MAX C top mounts to go on, I hope I don't get this
Did you not fit them yet mate?

Let us know when you do and if you get the same issue

Martin
Old 12 July 2015, 06:42 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate...

Well I'll try them when the part arrives and update should be end of the week.. I hope it fixes the problem as I won't be able to cope with the knock..

Martin
Fingers crossed mate, i may drop an email to bilstein and see if i get any joy from them. Yes agreed need a fix else theyre coming off.
Old 16 July 2015, 07:37 AM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

The knocking on mine was getting worse so yesterday morning i dropped the car back to the garage where i had them fitted and left the car with them to investigate the issue.... I got a message yesterday afternoon saying the car is ready for collection.

WELL IM EXTREMELY HAPPY TO SAY THE SUSPENSION IS NOW SILENT, no knocks or clunks what so ever. They removed the front shocks and found the washers were damaged that mate up to the top mounts. It would appear the supplied washers are a poor fit and were allowing some movement, they replaced them with a slightly larger washer and they are now silent. The ride quality is now excellent and can cope with speed bumps and pot holes with ease, the car is solid but the ride is still compliant and still comfortable enough to use on a daily driver..

Dubzy
Old 16 July 2015, 09:11 AM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

The knocking on mine was getting worse so yesterday morning i dropped the car back to the garage where i had them fitted and left the car with them to investigate the issue.... I got a message yesterday afternoon saying the car is ready for collection.

WELL IM EXTREMELY HAPPY TO SAY THE SUSPENSION IS NOW SILENT, no knocks or clunks what so ever. They removed the front shocks and found the washers were damaged that mate up to the top mounts. It would appear the supplied washers are a poor fit and were allowing some movement, they replaced them with a slightly larger washer and they are now silent. The ride quality is now excellent and can cope with speed bumps and pot holes with ease, the car is solid but the ride is still compliant and still comfortable enough to use on a daily driver..

Dubzy
Awesome mate, glad it's fixed.. Did they just use generic washers? And are these the ones which sit above the spring between the top hats?

Martin
Old 16 July 2015, 09:31 AM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

I find my bilstein's are perfect for the road, I'm really happy with mine.

It's currently being set up as I write this
Old 16 July 2015, 03:46 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Is it all set up now mate? I don't supose you took a pic of your front coilovers want to see what should be sat between the top hat and springs

Martin
Old 16 July 2015, 04:22 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Awesome mate, glad it's fixed.. Did they just use generic washers? And are these the ones which sit above the spring between the top hats?

Martin
Yes Martin they just used generic washers mate and yes from what i understood its the washers that go below the top hats
Old 16 July 2015, 04:25 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Agreed mate im now very happy with mine too.

How aggressive have you gone on your setup ??

Im having mine setup on saturday, then i have a week to get used to it before TOTB next weekend..
Old 16 July 2015, 09:56 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

I haven't actually picked it up yet, I couldn't be bothered to get it today.

I'm not sure on what settings he's used, I can get you a picture Monday?

I can also as the guy who fitted them has he'll know what was there
Old 16 July 2015, 10:18 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

I haven't actually picked it up yet, I couldn't be bothered to get it today.

I'm not sure on what settings he's used, I can get you a picture Monday?

I can also as the guy who fitted them has he'll know what was there
Cheers mate also if you wouldt mind sharing your settings too... As you know my cars up for sale but may aswell put set the geo up and sort the new owner or for myself if it doesn't sell

Martin
Old 16 July 2015, 10:28 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Yeah I'll do that, I'll probably go get it tomorrow, currently driving a 65" hillman super minx

I think you should keep, I nearly sold mine when I had a good offer out to me but decided to keep.
Old 17 July 2015, 12:12 AM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Yeah I'll do that, I'll probably go get it tomorrow, currently driving a 65" hillman super minx

I think you should keep, I nearly sold mine when I had a good offer out to me but decided to keep.
Cheers mate... You know am wondering whether I've done the right thing and to be honest my hearts not in selling it so I'll get these coilovers on, geo set up and then see how I feel about it

Martin
Old 17 July 2015, 07:05 AM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

You'll love it... I lost interest in mine then I got some AP's and the bilstein's and now I think I'm back in love
Old 19 July 2015, 04:01 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

How do you guys change the ride height on these?

Martin
Old 19 July 2015, 05:26 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

I had the back put up 10m and th front dropped by 5m I think

Quick Reply: Clunking After Suspension Upgrades