Notices

Spec D suspension woes

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2015, 11:58 AM
Holbs_scoob
Scooby Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Spec D suspension woes

So I have been noticing a knocking from the rear end of my car for a few weeks now. Always noticeable at low speeds, especially when stopping and moving away - the car almost resettles itself. I initially thought it may be the diff and **** myself but i'm now thinking it's the shocks.

I went out to Glentress for a blast on the bike this weekend and noticed on the way back that the car felt unsettled. Back home I gave the rear of the car a good shake and it definitely sounded like the rear shocks have gone (like so many others on these new age cars)

I rang around my local dealers and checked on camskill and it seems the spec D has some sort of special shock which costs approx £400 EACH!

I called scoobyclinic to get some solid advice and Adam has informed me they use a shock manufactured by bose(?) and they're approx £130 a pair.

My question to you guys is - has anyone ever used these shocks? And if not, what set up/ shocks did you go for?

My car is a daily driver and i want to be able to drive it and keep all my teeth (I live in Edinburgh and the roads are a complete joke)

Cheers for any help!
Old 02 June 2015, 12:12 PM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts

I have the exact same issue on the front of mine so I will be interested to hear peoples views
Old 05 June 2015, 09:57 AM
Holbs_scoob
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Rusti
I have the exact same issue on the front of mine so I will be interested to hear peoples views

Just to keep you updated mate, I had a call from Scoobyclinic to say that the shocks they offered me don't actually fit the Spec D. The only option is the obscenely priced KYB ones at £325 a corner (cheapest I could find.)

Would anyone be able to suggest any alternatives or have experience with coilovers? mine are getting noisier by the day and i'm not sure if they will have any negative affect on my car.
Old 05 June 2015, 11:08 AM
InTurbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They can be stripped cleaned out and regreased with a high quality grease. This will last longer than the wax like grease that's in them.
Done this on my previous 04 and 06 Sti.
Old 05 June 2015, 11:43 AM
Holbs_scoob
Scooby Newbie

How much would this cost if taken to a garage or is this the sort of thing I could do myself?
Old 05 June 2015, 11:59 AM
Holbs_scoob
Scooby Newbie

Got this in a PM Rusti -

Google STI strut clunk fix grease fittings installed.
Good step by step instuctions.mine were fitted when I bought her.Clunk on my STI was getting worse every day,pumped with grease problem solved until next time then regrease.
My car is an STI V7 import.
Old 05 June 2015, 12:29 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

i replaced the fronts with the prodrive bilsteins, available off ebay usually for about £180 a pair new

the rears i split and repacked with marine grade grease. i did not fit any grease nipple, its been grand now for over 2 years, not a clunk or a bang anywhere and its a daily driver