Rear ARB 05 Widetrack - Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2015, 04:24 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear ARB 05 Widetrack - Problem

Hi All,

I fitted my new Ultra racing Rear ARB and CDF Racing droplinks onto my 2005 Widetrack STI on ?Friday afternoon but during the fitting came across a problem.

Obviously as with most 9+ year old cars this are a little rusted up and worn underneath and I had a job removing the old bar on the two brackets where the rubber bushes sit. The passenger side cam off fairly easily with a little help from WD40, The other side was a different story, Once I had cleaned off the dirt and some rust I could see the Bolt head and the nut weren't in great condition, in fact they had been rounded off so the socket wouldn't grip.

Ended up having to cut the nut off with a dremmel. Obviously not ideal as now I have no nut to refit on that side.

Question is are these easily replaced ?? I saw two bolts to the underbody, Is this all the complete brackets are held to the chassis with ??

Is it worth getting another set from a breakers ??

Or can the metal retaining straps be purchased new ??

Cheers
Mark.
Old 12 May 2015, 12:56 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

After some research on the internet I think I may have found at least one solution to my problem

First option I see is to purchase a pair of these

http://www.scoobyparts.com/genuine-s...r-arb-brackets

and replace the old rusting clamps, Only issue I see there is I an still using the original mounts of which the studs that take the clamps are 9+ years old and rusting.

Plus I read last night that when uprating the rear ARB the mounts should be changed as the standard ones can be torn off the car, Never did this on my old car and never had any issue.

I then found these

http://scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/pro...oducts_id=2675

Seems like this ticks a lot of boxes as all the rusted up bits get replaced and it appears to be a upgrade / improvement over stock.

My questions are any other brands other than whiteline that do these ??

Have many people swapped over to them ??

My ARB is a Ultra racing 23mm one but I presume the different whiteline kits 20mm, 22mm & 24mm are just down to the internal size of the poly bushes, No other difference ?? And the bushes supplied with my bar will fit as they fit the stock brackets ??

Just don't really want to throw anther £95 at it if its not worth it / alternative fix available.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 25 June 2015, 11:10 PM
K3ogh_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also looking into that whiteline kit.... did you buy it in the end?

chris
Old 26 June 2015, 12:08 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by K3ogh_sti
I am also looking into that whiteline kit.... did you buy it in the end?

chris

Hi Chris,

Yes I did, solved all the problems, was a pain to fit on the drivers side but not impossible.

I contacted several suppliers and it seemed only whiteline did that kit, CDF racing said they had plans to and Ultra racing seemed to supply it with the other rear ARB (Which wouldn't of fit) but not on its own.

Ended up with a bit of a miss match with brands Ultra racing bar, CDF Racing droplinks and whiteline mount but all in all worth changing.

Mark.
Old 26 June 2015, 09:54 AM
K3ogh_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've changed my arb clamps, the brackets that attach to the under body are rotten! Might grab a set of these then