Notices

Fitting Prodrive springs to 02 WRX struts

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2014, 10:50 PM
JamesBrown
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting Prodrive springs to 02 WRX struts

Hi guys I've just joined your forum and would appreciate some help with something.

I've bought a set of Prodrive springs to fit on my bugeye WRX struts.

The fronts swapped fine, but the rears are a different matter. I've bought later top mounts to go with the later springs, but am still missing a part which the oe Sti struts come with which hold the top of the springs in place (guessing they're called cups) .

Could you advise me what I need to fit them correctly please?

Many thanks

James
Old 26 November 2014, 09:48 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STI and WRX rear top mounts are different. You don't make it clear what combination you have. If the prodrive springs are Red I.e STI items them you need STI rear top mounts.
Old 10 December 2014, 09:05 AM
Manford
Scooby Regular

Is that the only difference between sti and wrx shox/springs?

So the fronts would go straight on and the rear would once the top mounts have been changed?
Old 13 December 2014, 09:13 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Manford
Is that the only difference between sti and wrx shox/springs?

So the fronts would go straight on and the rear would once the top mounts have been changed?
yes and yes as long as its pre widetrack
Old 13 December 2014, 09:16 PM
Manford
Scooby Regular

Not intentially jumping on someone else thread but.........

A 2003 wrx, with change rear top mounts would fit a 2004 wr1s shock and springs.

I have my ideas, but what would i gain?
Old 22 December 2014, 04:32 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arch
STI and WRX rear top mounts are different. You don't make it clear what combination you have. If the prodrive springs are Red I.e STI items them you need STI rear top mounts.
To be accurate, STi and WRX topmounts are identical in shape and rubber durometer. STi Group N uses a stiffer rubber durometer.

Red Prodrive STi springs use 04+ rear topmounts and are sprung to work with STi struts not WRX struts. They will be too stiff to work with the WRX strut.

Blue Prodrive WRX springs are made to work with the 2001-2002(3) Bug-eye struts. The bugeye has its own style of rear top mount as well as rear strut spigot design.

You cannot use the newer 04+ rear strut top on the bugeye strut without an adapter spacer. Search for Scooby921 spacer.

using the 04+ rear topmount (and ideally compatible rear strut) opens up bugeye owners to all the modern spring combos. There were very few spring options for bug eye that were any good (STi or WRX).
Old 25 December 2014, 09:48 PM
Manford
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arnie_1
To be accurate, STi and WRX topmounts are identical in shape and rubber durometer. STi Group N uses a stiffer rubber durometer.

Red Prodrive STi springs use 04+ rear topmounts and are sprung to work with STi struts not WRX struts. They will be too stiff to work with the WRX strut.

Blue Prodrive WRX springs are made to work with the 2001-2002(3) Bug-eye struts. The bugeye has its own style of rear top mount as well as rear strut spigot design.

You cannot use the newer 04+ rear strut top on the bugeye strut without an adapter spacer. Search for Scooby921 spacer.

using the 04+ rear topmount (and ideally compatible rear strut) opens up bugeye owners to all the modern spring combos. There were very few spring options for bug eye that were any good (STi or WRX).
So would my plan work? To fit wr1 suspension to my 2003 blob eye wrx? I would get the rear top mounts with the shocks and springs.

What would I gain?
Old 26 December 2014, 10:34 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arnie_1

You have contradicted yourself, STI and WRX rear top mounts are NOT the same the spring seats are different
Old 27 December 2014, 12:09 AM
Manford
Scooby Regular

Spring seats?

I thought I needed to change the rear top mounts to fit wr1 suspension to my blob eye wrx?
Old 30 December 2014, 11:30 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

spring seat on the top mount.