2005 WRX Rear Shocks - Advice

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2014, 04:27 PM
Pheenix_WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 WRX Rear Shocks - Advice

Hi All,

(First thread post - great to finally be a member!)

Just got my very nice 2005 WRX finally. I have always wanted one of these cars and finally did it, I spent my time getting the one I wanted in the right condition.

As it was a low mileage example, it had not been driven a lot over the last few months so when I drove it, and also had a professional check done - everything checked out fine. However over the last week it has started making a knocking side (drivers side rear) at low speed and sometimes when going over bumps. It sounds like it is the rear shocks.

Had kind of had another list of improvements on the way (some styling tweaks, new rims etc) and suspension was going to be upgraded in "the future".

Just wanted to know how urgent it is to change the rear shocks out? Is it unsafe like this?

I did think is it a better idea to replace all four shocks and also fit Eibach lowering springs at the same time, purely as the bits are coming out anyway? And at least that is most of the future suspension upgrades done (maybe a Whiteline kit to add later on)? Any lowering springs need to clear 18 inch Rota GRA rims & tyres (at the moment I have 17 inch stock gold rims).

The sound is more annoying than anything, considering everything in the car is in very good nick (for 2005 model).

Any thoughts or advice are welcome, I know I can count on it here!