Notices

Raise BC coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2014, 08:19 AM
jamesfoley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raise BC coilovers

I've recently just bought a bugeye WRX which has been lowered on BC coilovers, and I was curious if I could raise the car back to its original height?

There are quite a few speed bumps in my area and it can be a pain to get over some of them.
Old 18 April 2014, 10:07 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Yes first clean any crud out of the strut threads near the locking nuts. Then undo the lowest of the three locknuts visible on the strut. Then using the (presumably locked tight) spring adjuster nuts unscrew the strut the required distance out of the hub mounting, and then tighten up the lower nut to secure the strut.
Bear in mind that if you change the ride height significantly you will need to have the geometry checked again.
Old 19 April 2014, 07:04 PM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just remember there is a minimum amount of leg that needs to remain in the lower mount. I'm not sure if there is a marker on the threads or somewhere but there probably is something on the lower where the slot shows the inner? You must not raise it above this line, and if it's a normal set, the result will be slightly lower than normal rider height. You can increase spring preload slightly but only another 5mm or so before you'll get some unpleasant handling issues.

Camber is affected noticeably by ride height and front tracking changes considerably too.
Old 21 April 2014, 03:04 PM
jamesfoley
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys.

Would anyone happen to know the sock height of the bugeye WRX? Basically want to get as close to that as I can, taking into account what Markyscoob said.

Also, while I am here, there are a lot of small bits like rubber seals that I'd like to replace. Where is the best place to source this stuff, or would it be easier to just contact someone breaking a similar car?