Notices
Subaru This forum contains only Subarus offered for sale by our members.

Toshi Arai Spec C

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2011, 07:17 PM
AdamNI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toshi Arai Hawkeye Spec C *Reduced*

Folks,

A bit sooner than expected but I've decided I'm finally mature enough to learn to ride a motorbike, I think! I will hopefully have passed in a few months and can't have two toys. So I'm going to put the spec c up earlier than expected. The fact I want to get a house this year too, and still have a toy, means a bike is the way to go I think. A new challenge and different type of experience. I know i'm going to regret selling the spec c though, as for me it's the ultimate subaru.

Anyway, the car is a Team Arai Spec c, 350 were made as far as I know, and i've only ever seen 4-5 in the uk over the years in forums etc. I'm the third owner in a roundabout way! The first owner was Prodrive, the car was then bought by someone in NI from Prodrive, then the guy I bought it off done the majority of the 22k miles, all bar about 1k from what he told me. Car is registered 07, but is an 05 model. I HPI'd it before I bought it and anyone else is welcome to do the same.

It has all the usual spec c stuff, apart from a standard silver dash and blue subaru interior which all Arai editions have, and the cool signed gear ****!

Below is what i've spent in the few months i've had it.

As soon as I bought it, a company called OMA serviced it, he's highly regarded and one of the few trusted guys in NI, and he gave it a full bill of health. The car got the timing belt done, new PFR7B plugs, cosworth filter, Motul 300V engine oil, gearbox and diff oil. That was step one, step two for piece of mind was a JGM remap to 350/360, to get it onto a uk fuel map. The car had done it's original 22k miles on the original map so I was more than a little concerned what Simon might find, the car responded faultlessly, and no det was apparent, and literally three runs had her dialled in.

After I was satisfied the car was 100% mechanically, the spending started! In no particular order:

HT Autos front splitter, sprayed matt black.
Forge Recirc valve to replace the HKS dump valve originally on the car.
Mini WRC Kaylan mud flaps from scoobynet.
Prodrive GC-05 alloys, brand new too, made by Rays in Japan and are of a forged monoblock design. Discontinued now, and stunning imo.
Federal 595 RS-R tyres, listed as a trackday type tyre and not to be confused with standard 595 models.
Tuner style nuts in black, steel not alloy, from scoobyparts again.
ATI gauge pod
Depo gauges, oil temp, oil pressure and boost.
New number plates including import style front, for a neat fit.
New mats, plain black with the sti logo.
Toad Cat 1 alarm and cert as requested by my insurance. Have the cert as you would expect.
EBC NDX pads, the ones everyone is raving about, and now I know why.
Full alignment to original spec c settings
Vibe Lite Air front door speakers. To keep in with the spec c lightweight ethos!
New battery, still lightweight spec c type, only a heavy duty model with a bit more kick for starting.

Car already had a centre decat and TSL Grp N backbox, these cars don't burble apart from a hint at idle. This might as well be my car, it sounds pretty much identical if you've never heard one. It suits the demeanor of the car perfectly though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRpQ_EUQ3_Q

She also has an exedy clutch, which isn't great for pootling about as it's very sharp and gives the odd judder, but is really positive when pushing on and you wouldn't think it's the same clutch when driving her down the road at speed. The headunit is a JVC KD-BT22, with a proper Ipod adapter in the glovebox, and Bluetooth, though i've never tried it.

I've no desire to work out exactly what i've spent in 3 months, but all of the above plus 12 months tax (£215) to Feb 2012, and the number must be up around £4k+ give or take.

Bad points.

While the car drives 100%, the car has the usually stone chips on the front, and because the car lacked front flaps when I bought it, the lower door edges etc have taken a bit of a beating annoyingly. A bit of paint wouldn't go amiss here. The car has white undercoat too, so you can imagine how easy it is to spot them. There's a couple of scratches in places too.

The rear bumper has seen paint, I missed it when I bought the car. All I can see is one bit of what looks like dodgy touch up paint near the light cluster. Don't know why it was done though or what happened. There is also a scratch and a small indentation on the drivers side c-pillar. The boot could also do with being adjusted as it's slightly off centre. I never bothered fixing it as you can't carry anything in the boot anyway so I never have it open.

The reason I dropped £1k as soon as I got it was because the car lacked any history. I took a chance when buying because of what it was and kept my fingers crossed. This would scare most folk off, but the car drives so well, and in the time i've had her, has more than showed it really is a superb drive and I haven't even given a second thought to driving her hard or worried about something going wrong.

I bought the car in November and apart from the service and remap, it hasn't moved in anger till the past 4 weeks when the weather has improved. I reckon i've done maybe 600 miles in it. Mileage is currently 22,042. I only use it at weekends, apart from one drive into work, so the mileage goes up very slowly.

Everything is brand spanking new as you can imagine, car will come with the original gold (not white before someone asks!) Enkei alloys with goodyear asym tyres with plenty of tread, and the ferodo pads which I think are DS2500 (hard to see on the backing), I couldn't stand the cold bite feel of them, hence why I changed them. There's still a ton of material left on them though. Plus what I have left of the 300V oil, both keys for the car and alarm, and the original standard leather gear ****.

Regardless of the lack of history this car needs nothing, it's literally a case of insure it, fill with petrol and drive, although she is due her first MOT at the end of April. Spec c's are always tricky to price, to me it's a step up from a UK car, even more so because it's a spec c, it has blown me away with what it can do compared to my old UK sti which isn't even close if you're after a drivers car. One of the lads has his cracking example on here at £18k at the minute I think, a few more brand spankers are £20k plus on psitonheads. With the admitted lack of history, and my desire to see her go to a good home, if somebody comes up with an offer around £14.5K, I'll let her go.

Any questions or more pics just give me a shout. I've been as honest as I can here, i've no desire to put one over on anyone. I won't be wasting anyone's time who has to pay to get over to NI, so will be 100% if anyone wants to chat, as I have been in this ad. Chances are because of what a spec c is, it'll only appeal to those who know what they're all about, what Lee is currently doing with his and entering the time attack series highlights what these cars are truly capable of I think. I'll be sad to see her go, but glad i've ticked the spec c box. A drive in this car will sell it straight away, like it did for me, but if you're expecting a UK type car forget it, it isn't an everyday car, it's probably closer to a classic than a newage.

Thanks

Adam

Some pics, finally with some sunshine. Never been a fan of blue, but it fairly grows on you though!!

Last edited by AdamNI; 24 May 2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Forgot the power graph
Old 03 April 2011, 07:24 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks nice, wouldn't take much to powdercoat the gold Enkeis white to make it spot on
Old 03 April 2011, 07:42 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Stunning and worth every penny, a little tlc and someone will have a cracking motor, best of luck with the sale Adam
Old 06 April 2011, 09:06 PM
AdamNI
Scooby Regular

Bump for Wednesday! Thanks for the comments steve, much appreciated.
Old 08 April 2011, 12:01 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Thursday bump.

Nice car Norn Ire!
Old 16 April 2011, 08:01 PM
AdamNI
Scooby Regular

And a Saturday bump.

Thanks too Andy.
Old 17 April 2011, 03:20 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

A Sunday bump for a genuine guy, cracking motor and cheap too

If this was in six months time it would be coming back to the UK, don't fancy keeping it for a while do you ;-)
Old 18 April 2011, 08:06 PM
AdamNI
Scooby Regular

lol, the way it's going i can still see it being for sale then Steve!

I passed my bike theory today at the grand old age of 31! So it's full steam ahead on that, looking forward to my GSXR 600 with 33bhp restrictor kit

Going to enjoy the spec c while i still have it. Life is too short not too!
Old 18 April 2011, 09:59 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Congrats on the theory mate, bet your well pleased. Remember doing my bike test, was a nervous weekend course but kept it together and passed first time. Just never got round to getting a bike, crazy huh lol

Good luck and in a way will keep my fingers crossed that it don't sell quickly lol ;-)
Old 21 April 2011, 10:26 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was very impressed with it when I mapped it in December.. very rapid and responded as expected with mapping etc..

Graph figures are at flywheel btw.

Good luck with the sale

Simon
Old 23 April 2011, 06:07 PM
AdamNI
Scooby Regular

Saturday bump. Mileage now 22,422 after a bit of enjoyment these past few weekends.

Thanks Simon, always surprises just how well it goes with only 350bhp.

Well chuffed Steve, oldest person there, in amongst all the nervous 17yr olds! Last in, first out! A bit of wisdom in my years helping a wee bit there. You're welcome to make an offer, i can strip off the wheels, gauges and those NDX pads, and it would make a fair dent in the asking price if that helps.

Should have mentioned before to everyone, i'm only 20mins from Belfast Airport and the docks to Scotland and Liverpool to take her across the water, and only 25-30mins from the International airport. I'll happily pick anyone up who wants to come over.

Since i'm after a bike, if anyone wants to part ex a GSXR 600 K8/K9 with a max price of between 5-6K i'd be interested.

Adam

Last edited by AdamNI; 23 April 2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 23 May 2011, 07:33 PM
AdamNI
Scooby Regular

Finally got an MOT date for last Friday, so car drove straight through it's first MOT. No worries at all thankfully.

I've decided to strip a couple of bits off to get the price down. So i've pulled the pads and wheels. They're still available if anyone wants them, pics don't do the prodrive alloys justice compared to them on the car in real life versus the 17" enkei alloys. I was going to pull the gauges out, but couldn't be bothered taking the intercooler off again . So, car is as above spec wise, and the pics are below, I know it should have white wheels, but i think they were resprayed for some odd reason. Offers within reason are welcome. Final bike test is early June, so she has to go.

New price £13,000 ono.

Old 23 May 2011, 07:35 PM
AdamNI
Scooby Regular

Can anyone tell me how to change the thread title to reflect the change in price? I can't for the life of me work it out.

Thanks

Adam
Old 23 May 2011, 09:34 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Go to edit then press advanced buddy nice car mmmmmmm
Old 24 May 2011, 08:51 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

adam that is too cheap mate, 13k for a spec c!!!! fud surprised your 22b aint going to for this lol, seriously 15k was a good price 13 imo is silly money for this car. get it up i=on pistonheads for 15k ono and sit and wait. imo the people in the market for a spec c will be smaller then the same year uk car although the jap spec is better, crazy huh. advertise it on a few of the car sale places and i am sure you will get some interest but 13k is madness

oh and you past your bike test yet?
Old 24 May 2011, 11:25 AM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Nooo im trying to think where i can park this lol

What you mean its an 05 model you cdnt get hawk in an 05 could you or am i being dumb and missing something here.???

What tax code is it also cheers..

Last edited by BIG FUD; 24 May 2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 24 May 2011, 11:34 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here you go
http://www.subaru.jp/accessory/archi...car/car03.html

Tony
Old 24 May 2011, 12:34 PM
Phil555
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

£13K????? What an absolute bargain.

Someone buy my type R please so I can snap this up................LOL.
Old 24 May 2011, 12:50 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

That is some machine, I only wish I was home to try and arrange some finance!!
Old 24 May 2011, 03:14 PM
AdamNI
Scooby Regular

That's what i was trying to do Fud, with no luck! The car is a 2005, even though it's reg'd in 2007 as Tony has shown. The V5 shows it as manufactured in 2007, but that's not right going by the model code above. It must have been what Prodrive put in when the car was SVA'd back in 2007. I'm guessing you're talking about road tax banding? I've no idea, all I know is it cost me £215 for the year, which doesn't add up with what's on the DVLNI website to me, but i wasn't going to complain considering what some people pay! I couldn't comment on what you might pay in the UK.

Steve, to be honest i'm not one of the those folk who think a JDM is worth thousand's more than a UK car. Yes i agree, it's in a different league to my old UK sti car in terms of outright performance, but i don't agree that warrants a big premium. Considering the lack of history, and some touch up paint that wouldn't go amiss, I feel it's priced right. I'm guessing most folk have a problem with the history in particular. I was no different until i drove it and asked a few questions. If somebody wants to spend £17-18k on a JDM and thinks mine isn't even worth the cost of a flight over to try, then it's their loss. It probably will go up on pistonheads and the like, but considering i've had questions from so called subaru diehards like "what's the small sunroof for", "why's there no carpet in the boot", "nah mate, all hawkeye's are 2.5l" , i was hoping to sell it to a good home where somebody appreciates what they're driving. Hence my persistence on scoobynet!

I bought the car as i couldn't find fault with it mechanically, that was more important to me than a few stone chips. It just depends on what you look for in a car. The fact it was a spec c meant i just had to have it! Plus it was a bargain when i bought it, even more so now with the extra's i've added.

As for the bike, yes, passed my off road the other week, zero mistakes, so chuffed. So the final test is early June. I've seen a bike i like (Triumph Street Triple), and would wish somebody would hurry up and buy this weapon so i can go and get it .
Old 24 May 2011, 06:22 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Fair call Adam I appreciate your point of view, i just wish I was in the position right now....might have to juggle some finaces around lol. Congrats on the first part of the bike test. The speed triple is a fine looking bike thought about one myself but ended up just using one of my old man's bikes. Good luck with next part of the course
Old 25 May 2011, 07:15 AM
turboR
Scooby Newbie

Default Buy This Car!

Just thought I'd add my opinion on the OP and his car.

Been in contact with Adam for the last week or so sending emails back and forth. One thing I have to say is that Adam's been completely honest and upfront about the car, it's history, condition etc and for me that's a good sign as a buyer.

I'd much rather have all the facts and know all the problems however big or small before hand rather than turn up to view the car and be disappointed as it doesn't meet my expectations.

The only reason I haven't already purchased this special car is, there's another special one I'm after. If it wasn't for the other car I would have no hesitation in flying over from the far east to purchase this car.

Adam's also been great and accommodating about my situation (it is very complicated) and I urge anyone interested in this car to at least get in touch with him.

My final words are this car is a bargain and I believe Adam wants a quick sale so speak to him and see what he can do

Tim
Old 25 May 2011, 10:57 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with the sale Adam

Cheers
Shaun
Old 29 May 2011, 12:07 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Looks spot on mate, a bargain for someone to have!!!

And a great write up and pics on your advert!!!
Old 29 May 2011, 12:22 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

I have a very similar car (Litchfield Type 20 Spec C running 360bhp), bought from someone on here.

If you haven't driven one and are looking for a Scoob, you need to! Sublime handling with an engine/turbo that combines a rev happy nature with excellent low end power.

I had to fly to London from Scotland-shire to pick up mine - these cars are worth travelling for!

What Adam's done is reduce the price so much that it's barely any more than a UK Sti in terms of price. You know you want it - go for it!

Go on, you know you want it
Old 29 May 2011, 02:26 PM
Barnesy
Scooby Regular

What plate is this currently on?
Old 29 May 2011, 03:54 PM
AdamNI
Scooby Regular

It's on an 07 plate Barnesy, although it's an 05 car. It wasn't officially SVA'd and registered until 27/03/2007, when i'm guessing it was brought into the country. I do have a service shown for July 2007 at 989miles. So i doubt it moved much from 2005-2007.

Thanks for all the comments lads. As i've always said, the car isn't a show car. It has the lack of history and road rash against it, but that's reflected in the price i think. Though as Andy has said, these cars are in another league to drive.

It's up on another places now with a new price, again!

£12,500.

I don't particularly want to travel across the water to pick up my desired bike, and there's only two currently for sale here in NI. Hence why as Tim has said, she needs to go!

Adam
Old 29 May 2011, 04:28 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Yup, I'm trying to sell my original modded bug at the mo - things seem pretty slow.
Old 29 May 2011, 06:47 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adam I rang you about 4months ago asking if you want to sell!! (Iv since bought a Ver9 JDM Sti)
Ah well, Iv always had bad timing in life!

Goodluck with the sale
Old 05 June 2011, 05:24 PM
AdamNI
Scooby Regular

Sorry ricky, it's always the way isn't it.

Sunday bump with what appears to be the norm now for me. A weekly price drop

So now £12,000. That should leave plenty of money over compared to the average JDM prices to sort out the stone chips.

Adam

Quick Reply: Toshi Arai Spec C