Notices
Subaru This forum contains only Subarus offered for sale by our members.

1998 STI Type RA for sale

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2018, 07:41 PM
d4nnyc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 STI Type RA for sale

Up for sale is my 1998 Impreza STI Type RA. It’s clean, rust free and in good overall condition. Still has speedo and odometer in original KMs (113 450km).
The car was imported from Japan into the UK and registered in March 2014. It was owned by another Type RA enthusiast until September 2015 when I bought the car.

It very recently had a freshly rebuilt engine fitted along with a brand new VF34 turbo and a remap.

The car has all the Type RA factory extras including close ratio gear box, Driver Controlled Centre Differential, larger R180 rear plated limited slip diff, bigger rear driveshafts, intercooler water spray, aluminium boot lid and bonnet, thinner glass and a roof vent.

It makes safe and reliable power but it will also take some hooning abuse and track days as it has a stronger HKS timing belt, RCM sump baffle plate, twin scroll sump and STI oil cooler, all of which I’ve had fitted along with the rebuilt engine and new turbo. The engine components should all withstand 400hp+ but it currently makes a conservative 330hp (estimated).

The car has stock appearance, retains its factory drivability and has excellent throttle response with very healthy mid range torque and power all way through the rev range. With the increased compression ratio, turbo boost, close ratio gearbox and launch control, this car is seriously fast.

I’ve spent thousands to ensure this car is in the best mechanical condition. During my ownership almost every major part is been replaced including engine, turbo, gearbox, diffs, suspension and steering rack. Everything works as it should and the car is now very sound mechanically

I was tempted by this clean, low mileage freshly imported car, but unfortunately for me, almost every part was worn out so I’ve ended up spending far too much!

However, it does mean the new owner will be able to enjoy the car with the peace of mind knowing that no major repair bills are on the horizon.

The engine has just undergone a full professional rebuild to a very high standard and was remapped on 9 July. Since the initial 1200km bedding in period I have covered around 800km. See below for details of the build:
  • 9:1 compression ratio
  • 2001 STI semi closed deck block
  • 2001 STI crank
  • New STI con rods
  • New Mahle 4032 forged pistons
  • New ARP rod bolts
  • New King main bearings
  • New ACL big end bearings
  • New Subaru head studs
  • New NGK PFR7B Spark Plugs
  • Newage coil pack conversion
  • RCM fuel pump
  • Crank main bearing, big end bearing, ring gap, deck height, cyclinderhead volume, piston dish volume and piston to bore oil clearance have all been precisely measured and recorded.
ECU:
  • ESL daughter board fitted to the factory ECU, mapped with 1.5 bar boost. I paid extra for the motorsport package which includes launch control, anti lag and flat foot shifting
  • MAF delete
Turbo and exhaust
  • New IHI VH34 turbo (normally fitted to the 2001 STI Spec C)
  • New Hayward and Scott 3”downpipe
  • Fujitsubu 3” exhaust.
Engine ancillaries
  • STI oil cooler
  • New RCM sump baffle plate
  • New STI Spec C twin scroll sump
  • New HKS timing belt
  • New oil pump
  • New water pump
  • Later model ‘Newage’ coil pack conversion
  • New inlet and exhaust valve stem seals, manifold gasket, head gasket, cam cover, half moon seals, exhaust manifold and cam seals.

Cylinder heads
  • Freshly refurbished including cam journal polish, valve cut, re lap and re shim
  • Skimmed
  • New half moon seals, exhaust valve stem seals, inlet valve stem seals

Suspension / chassis
  • Superpro bushes on front wishbone, steering rack, and rear anti roll bar.
  • Superpro rear drop links
  • Whiteline 22mm rear anti roll bar painted black
  • TEIN Circuit master Type RA coilovers
  • Full 4 wheel alignment with 4.5 castor and 2 degrees camber on the front
  • Brembo front discs and pads, Hel braided brake lines
  • Work Emotion 17” wheels with Yokohama Parada Spec 2 tyres (loads of tread left)

Gearbox
  • Version 5 / 6 STI Type RA gearbox (the original version 3 - 4 gearbox had a small crack in the case so I bought a good condition version 5 / 6 which is exactly the same except for a slightly stronger case.
  • Lightweight flywheel
  • The clutch will be changed before the next person takes ownership

Downsides:
  • Unfortunately the sills have been crushed at the jacking points
  • A few very small paint touch ups have been made
  • Rear discs need changing
MOT expires 08.05.2019.

I am advertising it for £9000 and I am open to offers.

Old 08 August 2018, 08:10 PM
s450oby
Scooby Regular

Very nice glwts
Old 26 August 2018, 04:05 PM
d4nnyc
Scooby Regular

Now SOLD.