Notices
Subaru This forum contains only Subarus offered for sale by our members.

MY97 Classic UK Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2014, 07:36 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY97 Classic UK Turbo

Hi All,

Thought I'd create a new advert for this as the spec has changed slightly (slightly more standard), plus having just been MOT'd and cleaned, the car is now ready to go.

Firstly this is not your usual UK classic, the car has been enthusiast owned from day one and has only had three owners including myself, the first for five years before part exchanging it with the supplying dealer, where the second owner bought it and kept it for 10 years, meaning when I purchased it a little over a year ago it hadn’t been sold outside of the supplying dealer before.

Both original owners maintained the car regardless of cost (which I’ve continued!), especially the gent who owned the car for 10 years, he created an Excel spreadsheet detailing all the services the car had and when they were next due in both time and mileage and updated this religiously, maintaining 6 month oil services and yearly diff oil changes throughout the cars life. When I bought the car everything had been done just a few months before in the February of 2013, from spark plugs to diff oil and cambelt. All the paperwork is present to back up the sheet along with every invoice from the very start apart from the original purchase invoice, I will also pass on a contact number for the previous owner.

I have every handbook as you would expect and two keys.

The car was very original when purchased (bar a few choice upgrades), right down to the original cassette player head unit! I’ve looked to maintain the originality of the car and therefore have been very selective of the upgrades I’ve carried out.

Basics;
Model: UK Impreza Turbo
Year: 1997
Mileage: 103,000 (all docs to back this up – works out around 6k a year)
Prev. Owners: 3
MOT: 12 Months
Tax: November 2104

Security:
Meta CAT 1 alarm fitted with certificate (important for insurance companies!), I have both fobs.
Tracker fitted by second owner with folder and all documents, not currently active but I assume would be simple to re-subscribe if you wished.

Bodywork:
Mica Green, colour coded side skirts and rear hockey sticks, low level rear spoiler, smoked front indicators and side repeaters, STi type UK rear badge

Wheels/Suspension/Brakes:
16" Speedlines in gold, fitted with Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres
Eibach Sportline springs
STi alloy lower arms with new ball joints
Whiteline anti lift kit
Super Pro front drop links
Front strut brace
Black Diamond discs and pads all round

Engine/Gearbox:
Original engine, original gearbox, original turbo and original clutch! Which probably speaks for itself as to how this cars been treated, always warmed up and cooled down properly, and as I understand it from the last owner never ran on anything else but super unleaded in his ownership, I’ve only used momentum or v power, it runs and performs extremely well with no issues.

Some sensible modifications as follows;

Green panel air filter
Airbox resonator delete
Prodrive ECU – both keys coded accordingly
Magnex back box with Ninja mid/secondary decat pipe (still has catted downpipe fitted so MOT’s are no issue)
Walbro 255 fuel pump
STi intercooler with Y pipe and genuine red intake hose

A quick note on the sound given that it’s an important part of any Impreza.. personally for a lightly modified car I think this set up is hard to beat, the exhaust isn’t what you’d call quiet, but at the same time it isn’t over the top, and never drones, making the car a more than quiet enough at cruising speeds. Matched to the resonator delete/green panel which greatly increases induction noise/turbo spool the car has a nice balance of exhaust and engine/turbo, I hear so many Impreza’s with silly loud exhausts which totally dominate everything else and seem to lose the offbeat burble in the process.

Interior:
Original apart from STi steering wheel from a bug, original steering wheel included, no tacky gearnobs or dodgy gauges. Stereo is original radio/cassette player. All in good condition, slight wear to drivers bolster but no holes, rear seats fold down which is handy.

All the mechanical/suspension work I’ve had carried out, which includes the alloy lower arms, ball joints, drop links, ALK, Prodrive ECU, fuel pump, oil service etc, has been done by Paul @ Extreme Scoobies in Chelmsford as I wanted to maintain the documentation and history upheld by the previous owners.

A quick calculation shows I’ve spent well over the asking price in maintenance and mods since owning the car, which I hope goes some way in showing how I’ve looked after it.

Moving on to the inevitable on pretty much all classics.. rust.

I’ve not buried my head in the sand when it comes to rust on this car, in fact I’ve actively gone looking for it, thankfully the body services were carried out thoroughly which has saved it from the sort of corrosion I’ve seen on others. Even so during the last MOT in September I had welding carried out on all four corners of the sills, I then removed both bumpers to allow proper inspection of the bits you can’t see, the front end required no more than a rub down and paint of the bumper bar, where the rear was even better with the slam panel and rear bumper bar in excellent condition, with just some light sanding and treatment of surface rust required to the corner sections of the rear valance, once I got to this stage I thought I may as well carry on, which lead to removing the spoiler for inspection of the boot lid, stripping the boot trim to inspect and treat the inner rear arches from the inside, and rubbing down both rear wheel arch housings, which were then treated to a rust preventative primer, stone chip, body colour top coat and lacquered. The fuel filler pipe was also rubbed down and painted at this stage.

Finally I had the front bumper, both front wings and passenger rear quarter painted.

Of course the car is not perfect, there are a few marks/car park dings as you’d expect, it does have some stone chips to the bonnet, the top dash storage compartment needs fixing, there's a light knock from the front somewhere under light braking (my RA does exactly the same!), and the wheels could do with a refurb, but overall it’s very presentable and ready to be used and enjoyed, a great example of a very genuine car.

At the end of the day it needs to be seen and driven, any seriously interested parties are more than welcome to come and see it/go through the paperwork over a cuppa etc!

The car is ready to go, having just been cleaned, MOT'd and is taxed till the end of November.

There's a box of bits to go with the car which includes the original ECU, MAF, an STi intercooler cover, a MOMO gearnob, original intercooler, Subaru foglamp protectors, the original rad cap and a few other bits.

Just to be clear, the price is the price, I haven’t marked it up to get knocked down, and I won’t entertain offers below this from people who haven’t even seen the car, nor am I overly interested in people’s opinions on what they feel it’s worth, so please can I ask those who are not genuinely interested to refrain from wasting both mine and your own time with silly offers and needless comments.

I’m located in Manningtree, Colchester, Essex.

Price: £2300

Old 22 September 2014, 08:16 PM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

Looks great.
Old 22 September 2014, 08:58 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Lovely car and an excellent price for the care and attention it has received.

GLWTS
Old 22 September 2014, 09:28 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

I like this car.
Old 22 September 2014, 10:03 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really nice car, all the best in selling it.
Old 23 September 2014, 01:47 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Very reasonably price for a UK classic which has obviously been looked after very well. I'd be asking closers towards £3k than £2k for this?
Old 23 September 2014, 04:43 PM
puffingbilly
Scooby Regular

Hi

My guess is that tax will outlast the car..........

Could you advise when the cam belt was last done and condition of clutch and 1&2nd gears. Have the arches been repaired previously? Any advisories?

Are the pictures recent?
Old 23 September 2014, 07:39 PM
IveGotTheBug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by puffingbilly
Hi

Could you advise when the cam belt was last done and condition of clutch and 1&2nd gears. Have the arches been repaired previously? Any advisories?

Are the pictures recent?
It's only 2k you tight bugger,absolute minter btw
Old 23 September 2014, 08:08 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Hi

Are the pictures recent?
If you read the ad you'll find the answers to the majority of your questions..

Cambelt Feb 2013, pictures are from yesterday, no advisories on the MOT. It did need a N/S steering rack gaiter which was done at the time.

No issues with 1st, 2nd or the clutch, though obviously I can't inspect them!

Thanks for the comments guys, should make a great car for someone, I only marginally prefer the RA!

Cheers
Old 23 September 2014, 08:27 PM
IveGotTheBug
Scooby Regular

Hi

Are the pictures recent?
I think your a dealer seeing your previous posts....to the seller glwts it's cheap this
Old 23 September 2014, 08:57 PM
puffingbilly
Scooby Regular

If I was a dealer I would have been bankrupt long ago, I am just being careful with my hard earned cash as the last mint and perfect Scooby I bought cost me £750 at the first service I had.

If the owner can message me a number I will call to discuss and hopefully view at the weekend.
Old 23 September 2014, 09:24 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Just to be clear I'm not saying the car is mint or perfect, again I've mentioned as much in my ad. Puffingbilly I'll pm you my contact number.

Cheers
Old 23 September 2014, 11:23 PM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

Yer I like the car PM me the full sec with BHP if u no it please . Wear do you live
Old 24 September 2014, 12:06 AM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Hi Jay.. all this info is in the ad :-) apart from BHP, I'd expect it to be around 250.
Old 02 October 2014, 05:43 PM
puffingbilly
Scooby Regular

Just to say I bought this during the week just before the road fund license law changed and have to say its a great car, much easier to live with than my previous 03 STi and almost as quick. I have to say I really do like the look of the classic so looking forward to a good few years ownership.

oh and Dan is great guy to deal with making the whole process a pleasure.

So dead chuffed to be back in a brill Scooby!
Old 02 October 2014, 07:28 PM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

Excellent mate, looks a nice car.
Old 02 October 2014, 10:16 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

Aye u got a nice motor congrats
Old 03 October 2014, 09:58 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Just to say I bought this during the week just before the road fund license law changed and have to say its a great car, much easier to live with than my previous 03 STi and almost as quick. I have to say I really do like the look of the classic so looking forward to a good few years ownership.

oh and Dan is great guy to deal with making the whole process a pleasure.

So dead chuffed to be back in a brill Scooby!
Think you have bought a superb car there and funnily enough I had an STI 03 and went back to UK Turbo simply because I found it a better drive... less power maybe, but lighter and more fun. Well done mate
Old 03 October 2014, 01:31 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I think you got a good price on that so well done. If it was my car I'd be wanting an extra £500 for it . Enjoy!
Old 03 October 2014, 08:50 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Hi Paul,

Glad your happy with it :-) should bring you plenty of enjoyment!

LSherratt, to be fair I did have it up on ebay for a bit more and think I could of sold the car three times over, but I wanted a fairly quick sale, rather than to sit on it as already had my replacement on the drive..

I'm still in an Impreza, but now a 1993 WRX type RA :-)