Styling Exterior styling

best place to buy a sti rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2009, 07:28 PM
mikescooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best place to buy a sti rear spoiler

hi everyone. im now a proud owner of a wrx 53 plate scooby and im wanting to change my spoiler to a sti one and also what price would i be looking at to be buying one
Old 21 May 2009, 09:00 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Get a genuine one if you can afford it, costs around £800 to BUY plus painting, but made of ABS. Or you might find one on e-bay or at a breakers, try Grade A.

After that, get one from an aftermarket supplier, but made of PU, (polyurethane), NOT fibreglass.

F/G ones are VERY heavy and crack.
Old 22 May 2009, 07:10 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

If you cannot get a genuine one I'd recommend the scoobyworld PU one - great fit and they will spray to fit.

I went scoobyworld as I couldn't get a genuine one in the same colour as my car, if your's is a more common colour I'd wait until the right colour came up at a breakers (try jap performance or grade A or Ebay etc.)
Old 22 May 2009, 09:55 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Give these guys a go, They might have one in the right colour
Jap Performance Parts : Home
Old 23 May 2009, 11:39 AM
mikescooby
Scooby Regular

its a metallic black what year car do i need to get a spoiler from. does it need to off a year 2000 and onwards model. just that i notice that theres different versions of the spoiler

Last edited by mikescooby; 23 May 2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 23 May 2009, 02:32 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

ill be honest mate - dont buy a replica... i just bought one, and altho its as far as replicas go the fit is never perfect and the over-all finish will never ever be as good! if your super **** and super proud of ur scoob like i am pal, defo defo buy a genuine!

Have u considered the UK300 spoiler? just my personal opinion but the sti spoiler on the wrx is a bit cliche nowa-days?
Old 23 May 2009, 07:02 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

the scoobyworld one fits great, also is PU, I bought one and have no issues apart from the brake light being tinted. Been on over 12 months now and had no leaks and fits boot profile perfectly. I went for it as was about same price as used genuine one, but as I am fussy would have ended up having a used one painted. And I presume they would not be cheap to get painted properly as they would need holding on a stand and probably taking apart to do properly. Genuine would be best but the one I have is a good alternative. And no matter what people say you will need to drill extra fixings to get it down in the middle properly.
Old 23 May 2009, 07:08 PM
mikescooby
Scooby Regular

i phoned up that jap place and they got plenty in and in my colour aswel but they said the paint is pealing or the lacker is. there asking 375 for and i got a quote for spraying it at 150. i probably will buy a geniun one eventually
Old 24 May 2009, 10:46 AM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daz1968
the scoobyworld one fits great, also is PU, I bought one and have no issues apart from the brake light being tinted. Been on over 12 months now and had no leaks and fits boot profile perfectly. I went for it as was about same price as used genuine one, but as I am fussy would have ended up having a used one painted. And I presume they would not be cheap to get painted properly as they would need holding on a stand and probably taking apart to do properly. Genuine would be best but the one I have is a good alternative. And no matter what people say you will need to drill extra fixings to get it down in the middle properly.
well said m8 - i had same problem; wasnt prepared to drill my boot for a replica and it never stuck down propperly - as a result water got under it ect ect and it made a ryt mess! in the end i pulled it off and im looking for a UK300 now
Old 31 July 2009, 12:21 PM
tw_uk
Scooby Newbie

I phoned Jap p.parts and also was quoted £375 for a genuine. I asked about additionally having the whole bootlid and it was another £100 on top.

I have a 2004 WRX and I dont want to start drilling etc... Would there be any issues with a direct bootlid swap all in??

i.e 2001-2005/6 cars will are they all the same??
Old 31 July 2009, 12:42 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tw_uk
I phoned Jap p.parts and also was quoted £375 for a genuine. I asked about additionally having the whole bootlid and it was another £100 on top.

I have a 2004 WRX and I dont want to start drilling etc... Would there be any issues with a direct bootlid swap all in??

i.e 2001-2005/6 cars will are they all the same??
hi pal - i did the same thing (kinda...) rung them and got a quote (pretty much same quote...) i did some research and apparently (i may be wrong) the newage bootlids for bug and blobeye are the same, its just 4 bolts that holds the bootlid onto the rail... the only thing you will need to change is the key lock. Jap p.parts advised i get the same year boot lid to make this change easier...

when i got my sti8 spoiler, i didnt want to drill holes in my boot, so i ended up buying an sti8 (replica) that only had 4 bolt holes.... i wouldnt recommend this as the center peice didnt fit flush to the boot and looked crap (i needed up getting rid of it...)

as it happens i didnt keep with the sti8 theme... wanted summet differnet so i got the uk300 prodrive spoiler (i know alot of ppl hate this spoiler, but i like it!)... so my advise would be.... BUY GENUINE PARTS! if u have ur heart set on sti8 spoiler defo get a propper one, if you are like me and didnt want to drill (so u can put car back to standard when u want to sell....) defo buy a new bootlid!

P.S. Check out the GB270 soiler.... that thing is GORGEOUS!