Notices
Styling Exterior styling

Fitting rear 1/4 glass on wagon help?

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2006, 10:04 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting rear 1/4 glass on wagon help?

I should be fitting my 1/4 glass for my wagon tomorrow. I’ve got the bonding sealant (tigerseal) but was hoping to get the proper stuff sicaflex (windscreen) bonding sealant. I am trying another supplier in the morning?

Anyway if both surfaces are clean prior to using the sealant.
Do I apply the sealant to the glass or the glass frame (car) or both?
Do I need to apply a primer 1st, if so which primer?
How long do I have to apply pressure on the glass once it’s in position?
How long does the sealant take to set?

Any help would be appreciated.
Ticky
Old 10 March 2006, 10:18 PM
dave honey
Scooby Regular

Hi.
What you need is the right bond for the job i.e. winbond, guretessex or something like that otherwise the glass will just blow strait out if you open any of the other windows whilst driving. Sicaflex should only be used really for bonding trims and the like.
Also glass and body should be degreased and primed prior to aplication and then bond aplied to body. Then hold glass and line up to up to apperture and push it on with a small amount of preasure. You dont have to hold it in place as most bonding pruducts take a couple of hours to go off but it is a good idea to place a couple of stips of masking tape from glass to body just to stop it slipping down.
Most local windscreen companys will be able to supply you with a tube if you go in and ask and they may just give you one or we normally say if they ask how much. Just call it a fiver.
Old 10 March 2006, 10:58 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Thanks Dave,

I was having doubts about the normal tigerseal stuff, my local motorfactor shops were telling me it's well up for the job? I guess not.

When you say primed is it a special primer that is used, bearing in mind I don't think I will be applying any of the sealant on the glass but more on the rubber seal that is fitted around it.
Old 10 March 2006, 11:07 PM
dave honey
Scooby Regular

The rubber trim goes round the glass but is not a seal (just cosmetic) The glass should only really be bonded so the trim can be pulled out but sometimes its hard not to get a bit on the trim. The primer is designed for the job and if you go into a local windscreen fitting branch and ask for that aswell im sure they will have a half used pot and a couple of buds knocking about they will let you have. Just out of interest where abouts are you?
Old 11 March 2006, 08:07 AM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

You'd be better off going down to your local windscreen place & asking one of the guys to do it for some beer tokens...At least you'll know it's done correctly with the correct glue and primers...Few quid, job done..Safely.

Dave (autoglass fitter)
Old 11 March 2006, 10:33 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Smile

Thanks for all the help guys, managed to source the correct sealant & primer today.
Both rear 1/4 windows fitted.
Only trouble I had was getting the stuff out of the tube.
After a couple of pulls on the trigger I new it would be hard work, the sealant was not coming out easy. Decide you reduce the nozzle which helps until I broke the plastic gun. I ended up buying a metal type gun.

Dave Honey, I am based in West Midlands, Sutton Coldfield

Dave-68
I did see an auto glass van pull up in the Asda shopping car park sometime ago. I thought now is my chance to find out how much it would cost to have the ¼ rear windows fitted (both sides) and see if he could do the job for cash.
His answer was no.

I used another small company to have my screen fitted, that I thought was cheap at £50, for removing 2 screens (1 good, 1 bad) and refit the good screen.
I was quoted £45 each side from the same company to fit the ¼ windows.

So to save cost I thought I would do it myself.
Overall I have saved a good few pounds. Both ¼ windows in total cost me £25 with rubber seals, tool to remove glass £12, sealant with primer £10, gun £4.
If I have done it wrong then I can only blame myself for being a cheap skate. But in saying that for what it cost me in total, I would have only have got the rubber seal from Subaru for the same money