Styling Exterior styling

What would cause this ?

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2004, 01:24 PM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would cause this ?

Sprayed my front lip spoiler a few weeks ago left it in my garage now when I cam to look at i t the other day its got like a scaly appearance, not cracks but like fold almost its weird it looks like well weird.....never seen it before it looked brill after the final coat of laquer and polished up a treat....any ideas ? the lip spoiler leaking gas ?
Old 31 August 2004, 01:45 PM
mo,s scoobymonster
Scooby Regular

i think it maybe overspray especially if the spoiler is made of fibreglass, this does tend to happen to these and it has a really rough finish aswell.
Old 31 August 2004, 02:35 PM
rob oneill
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by CataIunya
Sprayed my front lip spoiler a few weeks ago left it in my garage now when I cam to look at i t the other day its got like a scaly appearance, not cracks but like fold almost its weird it looks like well weird.....never seen it before it looked brill after the final coat of laquer and polished up a treat....any ideas ? the lip spoiler leaking gas ?
I would say its a reaction between one 2 different paints, ie, your primer and base coat were incompatible, or your base coat and laquer were incompatible.
Also, if its a non metallic, did you use a laquer on top? (i wouldnt advise doing this) That could be your problem. Ive had problems with this in the past when I used to use cellulose paint, looked great after the laquer, but went exactly as you described it here.

If you were using 2pac, then thats a different matter, I would say your primer was not hardened enough before applying base/ top coats.

The only real option is to remove all the paint and start again, as if you flat it off and paint over, it will probably happen again

Careful if you use paint stripper, only leave it on for a couple of minutes, or bye bye spoiler!

Last edited by rob oneill; 31 August 2004 at 02:38 PM.
Old 31 August 2004, 05:52 PM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

Thanks Rob....primer base coat and laquer all from Halfrauds.....with cheap cellulose thinners in the paint dya reckon that could hace caused it ?

When you say laquer on top do you mean last coat? in which case yes:
primer
flatened
washed with white spirit the water.....dried thoroughly
base coat
laquer
polished and used cutting compound on orange peel etc.

It looked like top notch job and was fine for a week or 2
Old 31 August 2004, 11:04 PM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

mo,s monster,,:P what are you on about:P
Old 01 September 2004, 12:13 PM
DR Motorsport
BANNED

It's been a reaction between the cellulose thinners and the acrylic paint from Halfords.

You'll need to rub it all back to nothing, and start again I'm afraid.

I just wouldn't use anything that's cellulose based. That stuff went out of date in the 80's.

David
Old 01 September 2004, 01:02 PM
rob oneill
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by CataIunya
Thanks Rob....primer base coat and laquer all from Halfrauds.....with cheap cellulose thinners in the paint dya reckon that could hace caused it ?

When you say laquer on top do you mean last coat? in which case yes:
primer
flatened
washed with white spirit the water.....dried thoroughly
base coat
laquer
polished and used cutting compound on orange peel etc.

It looked like top notch job and was fine for a week or 2
I wouldnt have thought that the paints would be incompatible, if they were all halfords own brand, remember, they have been designed to work with each other,
That doesnt leave many options though, could be the white spirit affecting the primer, or maybe the polish/ t cut affecting the laquer, cellulose paint does take about a week to fully harden, so shouldnt realy be messed with until then.
What I was saying about the laquer was, I used it on top of a non metallic red, which didnt require a laquer coat, and had problems. If you are spraying metallic, then you do need a laquer so its not an issue.

I do agree with you about cellulose paints in general David, 2pac is far superior, but not readily available, or safe, to be using at home o: (not that you were suggesting that it is )

Cheers, Rob.

Last edited by rob oneill; 01 September 2004 at 01:04 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 05 September 2004, 11:12 AM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys...what should I use to thin the paint ? also 2pac is that the cyanide based stuff?
Old 06 September 2004, 12:39 AM
STILee
Scooby Regular

Wink

Your better off using Acrylic paint and laquer you can sometimes get away with Acrylic over Cellulose but never the other way around, I also use a plastic primer on the bear plastic first as it etches itself slightly as for the white spirit thats a no no! I've used cheap cellulose thinners without problem, but I would leave the finished spoiler for at least 4 days before buffing it!...
Old 06 September 2004, 12:43 AM
STILee
Scooby Regular

And no "2Pac" is a dead rap artist, only kidding yes it is cyanide based...and using it could put you in the ground with him...
Old 06 September 2004, 12:30 PM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

Aye my mate nearly did after doing it in his garage had to go to Hospital with cyanide poisoning !!! ha ha Sy you there ?
Old 24 September 2004, 06:15 PM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

ho ho ho. yes it was me. no mask no free flowing air. how was i supposed to know it wasnt for home use as i bought it from a shop? lol

Went to hospital and was put on a breathing machine for an hour (xyline poisoning) and had extreme migraines and nausia (cyanide poisoning). Felt a right idiot, and quite rightly so

oh well lesson learnt

Sy

(Simon)
Old 27 September 2004, 07:27 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

silicone in the pollish??