Styling Exterior styling

STI 8 Spoiler template

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2004, 08:31 PM
jon17
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink STI 8 Spoiler template

I'm expecting delivery of my STI 8 spoiler next week, and know that i'll have to drill extra holes in the boot as it has more fixings than the standard WRX. But does anyone know of a template I could have/borrow to mark the holes on the boot (more proffessional).

I know they come with the ones that Subaru sell but they charge £950 for the spoiler which has this included in the kit, where as I only paid about £550 from www.ravspec.com (just before anyone asks). But they don't come with a template!!!

Cheers..
Old 30 May 2004, 03:27 PM
jon17
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 31 May 2004, 07:06 PM
jon17
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 01 June 2004, 09:16 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

You may be able to use masking tape - I imagine that the STI spoiler will utilise the holes already there for your WRX spoiler so if you used masking tape on the base of the new spoiler and then transferred it across to the bootlid and lined up the current WRX spoiler holes in the bootlid with the ones in the masking tape, you should get the exact positions of the new holes (reading that its a bit confusing but I think it makes sense)?
Old 01 June 2004, 09:43 PM
jon17
Scooby Regular

Thanks Ayde

I'll give that a go if nobody has a template..

Cheers
Old 01 June 2004, 10:54 PM
Nick98
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi

I would suggest an alternative to the above idea is to cover the boot with two or three layers of masking tape patches in the approx area that the extra fixings are (use two or three layers minimum so you get a bit of 'thickness' to the tape). Fit the STI 8 spolier and secure using the common holes - do it up fairly tight at this point. Then remove the spolier and where the tape is you should have a prefect impression of the fixing lug/boss where you need to drill the extra holes. Leave the tape on (to protect the paint) and then drill through using a small pilot drill so you can ensure that you have the holes dead centre of the tape imprint. Enlarge the holes to the right size (small steps at a time) and then remove the tape, deburr the hole and then touch up the bare edges with a drop of paint (you would be amazed at how quickly bare metal rusts !!. Then hey presto your spolier should be a perfect fit !! It worked for me - be brave and good luck.

Nick
Old 02 June 2004, 01:35 PM
jon17
Scooby Regular

Thanks Nick98

That sounds a good way of doing it, but does the spoiler not already have the studs moulded in??

Did you fit a STI 8 spoiler or a copy spoiler to your car??

Cheers