ROOF VENT TYPE RA, DO OR DON'T?????

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2003, 11:48 PM
trolleydolly
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Hello there,

Since i have no aircon,a black Impreza and plenty of sunshine, i got interested in a orignal Type RA roof vent.
its for sale for a decent price, complete with inner and outer parts + seals.I would like to know from people who own a Type RA, if this vent has any downsides, e.g. noise, leaking,speedlimitations etc.
are there any people who can inform me about the (dis)advantages
of the unit?
as much replies as possible, thanx!
Old 08 August 2003, 12:04 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

The flip up vents on the Type R/RA's are a bit useless to be honest.

There's no way of controlling the direction of the inlet air, so most of it just gets shot towards the centre console and the space between the seat backs - not very useful when you want it on your face.

There's also little adjustment in the amount of air that comes into the car. It's obviously proportional to the speed you're going, which can mean virtually none at all one minute, and a tornado in your car the next.

Finally, and this can be a real issue in this sort of weather, you also have to contend with stones, general road muck and insects being projected into the cabin at a high rate of knots, so the inside of your car can quickly start to look a bit minging.

If you haven't got one in your car currently, I'd suggest the hassle involved in cutting both the roof skin and the lining to accomodate it would be more than it's worth.
Old 08 August 2003, 12:11 AM
trolleydolly
Scooby Regular

Thanx for the reply!
i thought it would be functional.......
i did see the ones advertised that were suited for Group N use, with 2 directional vent holes, like in an airplanecabin, but it is the one with the large outside part, that the WRC cars from subaru no longer seem to have.would this be a better option?
i don't want a sunroof, by the way
Old 08 August 2003, 07:07 PM
GRIFFS STI
Scooby Regular

hi,out of interest i am after bits for my roof vent,how much is this for sale for???
cheers
jason
Old 08 August 2003, 07:12 PM
trolleydolly
Scooby Regular

Talking

hi,

did yours blow off after exceeding the factory limit????????????
just kidding, can you give me some pros & cons about the vents?
the one i saw was about 300 Euro, ex shipping from Canada.
i hope you can inform me a bit about the " catflaps"!!!
Old 08 August 2003, 10:44 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

i did see the ones advertised that were suited for Group N use, with 2 directional vent holes, like in an airplanecabin, but it is the one with the large outside part, that the WRC cars from subaru no longer seem to have.would this be a better option?
They certainly work a lot better than the Type R/RA version, but I still don't think I'd want one on a roadcar.

Aside from making your motor look a bit Max Power, they're also a pain to fit (much drilling and cutting of your roof skin and lining required), have a nasty habit of leaking in the wet, and while the directional vents are better than just dumping the air at the centre console, you then have to put up with flies and grit being directed into your face, which I know from personal experience can be a real pain!

It's up to you of course, but as far as I'm concerned, unless you're actually building a rallycar, these things are more trouble than they're worth. As you say, the SWRT have found that a more "conventional" in-car vent system is preferable, which says a lot!
Old 14 August 2003, 10:15 AM
GariYaRally
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

We found the roof vent on the RA unbeatable in the dust. In the stages, you pop it up, this increases the cabin pressure compared to the outside and stops dust getting in through small holes in the cabin.....
Old 14 August 2003, 11:19 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Wink

The roof vent works well on a hot day to blow all the hot air through the cabin and out of the windows.

As far as actual cooling is concerned its a bit of a waste of time. As mentioned earlier in the thread, it blows through to the back and has little effect in the front.

Never had any probs with mine leaking, although you do have to be careful. The roof hatch itself is very sturdy, but exceeding the recommended speed with it open can lead to damage to the roof skin.

This is a particular problem on track days, as you can't hear that its open with a helmet on

Still love them tho- although you do get a lot of sniggers from d*ckheads thinking its a sunroof

simon
Old 14 August 2003, 03:58 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

In the stages, you pop it up, this increases the cabin pressure compared to the outside and stops dust getting in through small holes in the cabin.....
Indeedy, it just goes in through the large hole in the roof instead
Old 04 September 2003, 11:39 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

greasemonkey,

Do you actually have one of these vents fitted to your car?

Moray
Old 04 September 2003, 01:08 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Not on current daily driver, but spend plenty of time in cars with both sorts of vent.
Old 04 September 2003, 05:44 PM
GRIFFS STI
Scooby Regular

hi all,just out of interest what is the recommended max speed with it open,all the writing on the bottom of vent is in japanese,and i am no good with languages!!!
cheers
jason
Old 05 September 2003, 01:13 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

I think mine says 100kph