Sport General sport discussion

Olympics 2012 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2012, 02:46 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Olympics 2012 Thread

I'm looking forward to it as a huge sports fan, this is a once in a lifetime event

Sod all the moaners and those whinging about the Olympics and the cost, it would have been wasted elsewhere anyway so lets enjoy it.

It will be a nice distraction from all the crap going on in the world, some of the venues look absolutely amazing.

Looking forward to the opening ceremony as well
Old 30 July 2012, 09:44 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

A bit quiet in Sports

I'm watching as much of it as possible although my main interests are all track & field (except long distance running), basketball, table tennis, football, tennis.

As for the opening ceremony the Queen and James Bond was excellent.
Old 30 July 2012, 01:19 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Brilliant opening ceremony

The red button on the beeb is superb.
Old 30 July 2012, 01:55 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Damn haven't used that, was just watching whatever was on Just turned the horse prancing about to the tennis

Women's weightlifting They have to have a good ****** apparently.

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 30 July 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 30 July 2012, 06:23 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

24 HD channels and making full use of it.

Well done Beeb, can't ask for more.
Old 31 July 2012, 01:59 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I'm not that fussed on the Olympics
However - hats off to the BBC, they really have nailed down the red button coverage.
Old 05 August 2012, 12:18 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

I cant be arsed with the olympics thread in NSR, too busy watching what I can to post

What a day yesterday was, I made the point of watching it all day as I get to see so little during the week.

Before the Olympics started those who I was looking forward to seeing, and hopefully win were, Ennis, Wiggins, Hoy, Farah to do the double, Ben "Dont make me angry" Ainsley and Shanaze Reade to make up for her disaster in Beijing when she shood have walked it.

Yesterday was up there as one of the best sporting viewing days of my life, awesome awesome achievements by normal people rather than footy players.

+ KP was in top form in the test, a busy day for the Sky remote
Old 05 August 2012, 12:50 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

I've not even followed the cricket i've been that busy watching the Olympics! And last night was one of the best night's tv i've had the pleasure to watch.
Old 13 August 2012, 11:50 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

The most enjoyable and exhillarating sporting event of my life*, it's up there with the Treble ;-) and the 2005 home and 2011 away Ashes wins.

It beats any Ryder Cup, any WC or Euro's, the Rugby WC win.

Massive to the organisers and the volunteers

And another for the BBC and it's coverage, they have their knockers but that was sensational coverage, the likes of which we have never seen before over 25 channels and 2 radio stations, with amazing guests and co commentators + the web site, I dont think I missed a thing brilliant work by Auntie.

My favourite moments, so many but Mo's double for me by far because they were the two events I was really looking forward too, purely because of what he did at the Worlds last year, so those two wins were an outstanding piece of history that unraveled before our eyes.

The cyclists and the rowers did amazingly, anyone who pisses the French off as much as the cyclists did gets my vote

So many other happy sporting memories Will Hoy, Laura Trott, Katherine Grainger, Andy Murray destroying Federer, Nicola Adams, Peter Wilson, and Jade Jones we're my UK favourites.

Usain Bolt and David Rudisha for the obvious reasons and with the ease in which they did their jobs, different grade.

Best Celebration, Jade Jones

As I said in the other thread, with regards to it's legacy, I would love to see the Olympic Park kept exactly as it is, don't demolish a thing, build on it, make it a centre of Sporting excellence, in every facet, be it the various sports, Sports medicine, Sports media and management. Hold regular events for schools and clubs + we have the World Athlectics Championships in 2017, use the village to house the students that study there, make it the UK Athletics HQ, we have to build on the success of Beijing and 2012.

Please dont sell it to a Footbal team or entertainments group, we paid for this with our taxes so we should have a say in what happens to it.

Friends in Oz said to me before this Games "you guys do Pomp and Ceremony really well, you should put on a good show" I think we did Britain at it's best we do these things so well and should be rightly proud of what we've given the world this past two weeks.

As a nation, as Olympic Organisers, as sportsmen, as volunteers, We Ruled !!!

Last edited by Funkii Munkii; 13 August 2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 13 August 2012, 11:59 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

+1

I've got Olympics withdrawal today and so going to watch the best bits on iplayer to get my fix
Old 14 August 2012, 07:07 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

I have to say the Official website where we got our tickets from originally is doing my head in now, three times this week there have been tickets available for the Athletics for the Paralympics, on every occasion I have ticked the adult and child boxes got to the next stage to be told there are currently no tickets !!

I'm guessing either they were snapped up whilst I was going through the process or there weren't 3 seats together or they dont want kids in at £5 a pop.

perseverance is the answer LOL

Last edited by Funkii Munkii; 14 August 2012 at 07:12 PM.