Sport General sport discussion

More of the same from Hill-Wood/Wenger

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2009, 10:16 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked this bit from Wenger's interview:

"It is not like we have lost against Cardiff - it is not as though we have lost to a nobody."

Move over Anne Robinson, it's Arsene's time to be Wales' Public Enemy No.1!

By the way, he may not have lost to Cardiff this season, but he did manage to lose to Hull, Stoke and Burnley!
Old 19 May 2009, 12:42 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Wenger is off next week isnt he....I might put a tenner on it.
Old 19 May 2009, 01:34 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Are you for real

Thanks to Wenger Arsenal have one of the best stadiums in Europe, a squad of players who all know how to play great football, and an excellent youth programme

And still you ungrateful b4st4rds are clamouring for his head on a pole

It always amazes me how short some football 'fans' memories are, Vieira, Henry, Gilberto, Anelka, etc all became great players while they were at Arsenal, under Wenger, and what exactly have any of them done since leaving (Henry & Anelka excepted)

Apart from maybe missing a top quality defensive midfield player* to break down the more negative sides they come up against , I couldn't see anything wrong with the Arsenal that came to Anfield last month, some of the football they played that night was breathtaking
Old 19 May 2009, 01:57 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

For me Wengers failings at the mo are not having that experience in the squad which will help bring on and guide the undoubted young talents they have. Fabregas is the main man at 21 but he has nobody on the pitch to look up to. The young players at United have the likes of Giggs, Scholes, Rio etc. The ones at Liverpool have Gerrard, Carragher.

This means at times Arsenal in tough games can look a bit rudderless.
Old 19 May 2009, 03:57 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

for all the wenger supporters out there

- Home - Online Petition - Back Arséne Wengerhere!
Old 19 May 2009, 04:23 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I do not profess to be a football pundit but do agree with Bravo2zero. I have never been an arsenal fan bearing in mind I was born in Salford. But Arsenal do play some fantastic football and work well as a team, I think they work better as a team than most other clubs, it is a pity they are only a shadow of their former self and they do deserve to win something but I have no idea how they should go about sorting their problems out.
Old 19 May 2009, 06:03 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by **************
Yes I am for real (and you can drop the insults ) and obviously so are a lot of other fans from what has been shouted during matches and said by shareholders.
What insult When a large, and vocal, section of a clubs supporters are baying for the blood of that clubs most successful manager, ever, I think I'm not the only one who would consider those fans to be ungrateful

Playing pretty football is all very nice but it has won nothing for 4 years.
4 years? Come back when you've gone nearly 10, and we didn't have the bonus of pretty football through the nineties either

And your point is about Henry and Vieira is? Both were experienced players playing at big clubs when Arsenal bought them. Bergkamp was already known as a huge talent and Ajax's greatest ever product when Bruce Rioch bought him. We have bought experience before and it worked and tey developed into some of the greatest players of their time. Since letting those players leave or selling them on and replacing with inexperienced youth that policy has not worked and we have won nothing.
What about playing just two first team games for AC Milan (Vieira), or having a spectacularly underwhelming season as a winger for Juventus (Henry), made them experienced
Besides, Wenger has bought experienced player into his squad following the departure of others, off the top of my head; Rosicky, Gallas, Sylvestre and Arshavin had all made their reputations prior to arriving at Arsenal, unfortunately they obviously haven't been able to build on them since.

You obviously can't see the difference between the team we have now and the team we had in 2003/2004 which were the Invincibles. There is such a huge gap it's a ******* great chasm.
Actually I think I did mention in my original post that I do see what I believed to be the difference between the current team and that of '03/'04
Plus I suppose you can add to that the chaos caused by Gallas' shambolic captaincy, and Wengers continued misguided belief that Bendtner is a quality striker
Old 19 May 2009, 06:54 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

Wenger has been immense as a manager. He's gone off the boil in the past few years in his spending but think how well we were doing last season? top 8 points clear? we have been riddled with injuries.

look at the change since arshavin came?

few experienced players and away we go.

wait and see what happens. The yank will get major shareholder soon so see what happens there to

Adebayor can **** right off Big Rons words about Marcel comes into mind
Old 19 May 2009, 08:07 PM
madcyril
Scooby Regular

i cant wait untill 2011 ffs the way things are going we are going to be 4th or 5th every season and miss out like we have done
Old 19 May 2009, 08:17 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i dont think we fully recovered from the blow at the game against Birmingham when Eduardo had that awfull injury last season
Old 20 May 2009, 01:43 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Wenger's job in the last few years has indeed been to keep Arsenal in CL without spending too much money.

New Stadiums don't grow on trees.

He's done a great job in doing that.

He'll need a trophy next season though !
Old 20 May 2009, 06:03 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

They arent dealing with the development. thats another company, arsenal sold it off for them to build. Arsenal get the money from the development end of this year, which in turn pays for the stadium.

He hasnt had money to spend really and we have always been a top 4 club, last year was our most skint year and we only finished around 5 points behind the winners.

Everyone knows we need a strong midfielder and a world class centre back/striker. Dont need to keep reminding us

Remember how much money the yids, newcastle extra have spent and for what. even chelsea finished trophyless last year, if everton play well then it could be same this year
Old 20 May 2009, 07:09 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

liking your example
Old 20 May 2009, 07:18 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Default A W

I think he is a brilliant manager.
Arsenal are a brilliant example of young talent.
If they had a player like Essien, Mascherano or Y. Toure they would be a much more complete team.
At present they aren't well enough balanced.
This season liverpool have been more balanced and the improvement is plain to see.
Most of the same players as last season with more playing time between them.
If he does leave i will be sorry to see him go.
The 4 4 draw against liverpool was one of the bst games i've ever seen.
Old 20 May 2009, 11:47 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chris1scouser
The 4 4 draw against liverpool was one of the bst games i've ever seen.
For me that was two teams who forgot to defend for the last 20 minutes, the spaces that were opening up for the attacking players were ridiculous, but great entertainment all the same, pretty much like the LFC vs CFC game from the week before.