Notices
Sport General sport discussion

golfers, anyone fancy these tee shots?

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2007, 10:15 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink golfers, anyone fancy these tee shots?

just found a disc at the back of my drawer with some old golf pics on, sunny ones are in spain and the muggy cold looking ones are from the london club. some scary, some pretty

this was a corker, fairway was something like 500 feet below you, great hang time on the drive

i think we all know where this one went
Old 25 January 2007, 11:01 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

There are some great tee shots around ...........

One of the best I played was near Studland in Dorset. The 6th or 7th is a blind tee shot across acres of gorse and the only bit of fairway you see is miles in the distance dog legging away from you. It was in Peter Alice's top nine golf shots......
Old 25 January 2007, 04:08 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
There are some great tee shots around ...........

One of the best I played was near Studland in Dorset. The 6th or 7th is a blind tee shot across acres of gorse and the only bit of fairway you see is miles in the distance dog legging away from you. It was in Peter Alice's top nine golf shots......

The Isle of Purbeck, 4th hole? with Poole Harbour and Bournemounth in the background, to a peninsula green, miss it and you're in big trouble .

Booked up today to play St. Mellion, few dodgy tee shots there too
Old 25 January 2007, 06:42 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Great pics

You'll struggle to find better views than on a few of the holes at San Lorenzo in Portugal. Just and epic golf course, not too difficult but beautiful. Can see why it was rated in the top 5 in Europe for a long time!
Old 25 January 2007, 07:14 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

i've heard good things about portugal golf, i really want to get back abroad with the sticks and hopefully this will be the place

gutted with the pics as i had some nice ones of our first year out there (by far the best weather!) but buggered if i can find them anywhere

the pic with the fairway below you was La Cala IIRC and it was the only hole that we played in the dry! took the british weather with us that year
Old 25 January 2007, 08:22 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pauld37
The Isle of Purbeck, 4th hole? with Poole Harbour and Bournemounth in the background, to a peninsula green, miss it and you're in big trouble .

Booked up today to play St. Mellion, few dodgy tee shots there too

That's the fella played it on a couple of corporate days. Won the day both times. Think I shot exactly to my handi-cap, no blobs and 36 points. It's not often that kind of score wins, therefore a tough course IMHO.

Manor house is nice next to Castle combe, some great holes there. Used to play it for £10 on the county card, which was good

I gave the game up around 3 years ok but i'm playing Carlyon bay next month, which is a nice course too.

Gary
Old 26 January 2007, 09:08 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
i've heard good things about portugal golf, i really want to get back abroad with the sticks and hopefully this will be the place

gutted with the pics as i had some nice ones of our first year out there (by far the best weather!) but buggered if i can find them anywhere

the pic with the fairway below you was La Cala IIRC and it was the only hole that we played in the dry! took the british weather with us that year
Soooo many good courses mate and loads of different types. But if you want a real challenge play Penina. I lived and worked there for 7 months and it is in my top 3 courses i've played! Simply fantastic!

You cant go wrong with Quinta Do Lago or the Royal cousre at Vale Do Lobo either
Old 26 January 2007, 02:43 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

For a real challenge, have a look at this arnold palmer course in the west of ireland -often described as the Pebble Beach of Ireland - tougher IMHO than Ballybunion which is only 16 miles away, but never used for a major championship as it's too vertical for any stands around half of the course. Fantastic course and amazing scenery. We played it years ago and a nice chap, who turned out to be REM's attorney, made up a 4 ball with us - he travels the world playing golf, but his driver had gone in the sea after a few holes thanks to the number of ***** that had preceded it and he walked off a broken man by about hole 13 It wasn't particularly windy that day either...
Tralee Golf Course - Welcome
Old 26 January 2007, 06:05 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
For a real challenge, have a look at this arnold palmer course in the west of ireland -often described as the Pebble Beach of Ireland - tougher IMHO than Ballybunion which is only 16 miles away, but never used for a major championship as it's too vertical for any stands around half of the course. Fantastic course and amazing scenery. We played it years ago and a nice chap, who turned out to be REM's attorney, made up a 4 ball with us - he travels the world playing golf, but his driver had gone in the sea after a few holes thanks to the number of ***** that had preceded it and he walked off a broken man by about hole 13 It wasn't particularly windy that day either...
Tralee Golf Course - Welcome
that looks gorgeous i can see you could have a few problems there, most holes look like card wreckers!

cheers for the tips gav, i'll bear those in mind when i'm lucky enough to get there
Old 27 January 2007, 09:37 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

It's fantastic and in the summer you can always have a swim in the sea and a nice pint or three of cool guinness afterwards to cool your fevered brow...

Highly recommended long weekend trip material - get a flight to Farranfore / Kerry Int'l (20 miles away), stay in Barrow House (next to tralee course) - do Tralee course one day, Ballybunion the next, Killarney the next and spend a day / night in and around Dingle enjoying the craic - there is a nice little links course west of Dingle ( near Ballyferriter) as well called Ceann Slibheal - which is the most westerly golf course in europe allegedly. Usual Irish legendary drink/ food/ madness prevails as well