Notices
Sport General sport discussion

golfers - anyone used an 'X' flex shaft in a fairway wood?

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2006, 08:24 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question golfers - anyone used an 'X' flex shaft in a fairway wood?

bit of a shot in the dark, but i've been offered a 3 wood with this X flex shaft fitted. never heard of this flex before but after some googling it appears to be aimed at the lower handicapper/tour player.

is there anyone on here that's used one and could give some feedback on it? (possibly club/shop pro?)

the main aim for the shaft seems to be at the higher clubhead speed golfer and that sort of fits for me, play off 10 so can whack it around a bit but is this a bit too extreme for the weekend golfer?

ta
Old 10 October 2006, 08:38 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Xtra stiff shafts are aimed for players with a very fast club head speed, you may have problems getting the ball airborne and hitting the ball the sort of distances you achieve now.

When I was younger I had a driver with a dynamic gold x100 shaft, use s400's now

What shafts do you use at the moment?
Old 10 October 2006, 09:01 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

I,ve only ever played golf once in my life and it was when i was about 10. My mate was takin a shot and i was standing about 5ft back from him, when he swung he took a step back as well and whacked me full force in the side of my head with a 5 iron. I went dwn like a bag of sh*te and then jumped straight back up and ran home to my mum who proceded to put my head under the tap until she saw a bloody big hole , she screamed and phoned an ambulance whilst i sat there with a towel over the hole. The ambulance took over ten minutes to get to me and then stopped on the way to hospital to pick someone else up . I,ve got a nice big scar to show for it and i,ve never been near a golf club again since . The good news is i,m ok now and the whack has had no long lastin effects on me at all
Old 10 October 2006, 09:02 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

s400 in my irons, regular in the driver.

never used a 3 wood before, always had faith in my ping 2 iron but where i'm not playing so much now it's getting harder to hit consistently (at least that's how i'm finding it!!)fancied a fairway wood and a 2nd choice off the tee for a while now TBH.

don't like the sound of it being harder to get it up though, a higher ball flight is really what i'm after.

x100?! did that have any flex in it at all?
Old 10 October 2006, 09:04 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moneys
I,ve only ever played golf once in my life and it was when i was about 10. My mate was takin a shot and i was standing about 5ft back from him, when he swung he took a step back as well and whacked me full force in the side of my head with a 5 iron. I went dwn like a bag of sh*te and then jumped straight back up and ran home to my mum who proceded to put my head under the tap until she saw a bloody big hole , she screamed and phoned an ambulance whilst i sat there with a towel over the hole. The ambulance took over ten minutes to get to me and then stopped on the way to hospital to pick someone else up . I,ve got a nice big scar to show for it and i,ve never been near a golf club again since . The good news is i,m ok now and the whack has had no long lastin effects on me at all
I like your mate
Old 10 October 2006, 09:09 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
s400 in my irons, regular in the driver.

never used a 3 wood before, always had faith in my ping 2 iron but where i'm not playing so much now it's getting harder to hit consistently (at least that's how i'm finding it!!)fancied a fairway wood and a 2nd choice off the tee for a while now TBH.

don't like the sound of it being harder to get it up though, a higher ball flight is really what i'm after.
Maybe best sticking with s400s or r300s then, unless you want to pretend to be Tiger?

Originally Posted by hoskib
x100?! did that have any flex in it at all?
Like an iron bar, but I was young and foolish
Old 10 October 2006, 09:13 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pauld37
Maybe best sticking with s400s or r300s then, unless you want to pretend to be Tiger?
nah, got a dodgy back as it is, without swishing away like a nutter!

thanks for the advice
Old 10 October 2006, 09:31 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pauld37
I like your mate
thought you would paul the funny thing was he came round that night when i got out of hospital , he turned up with his mum and a box of chocolates and gave the bloody chocs to my mum as it was very traumatic for her there was me with a big bandage and 5 stitches and NO bloody chocolates. i never forgave him and still rermind him about the chocs now , the tight git.
Old 11 October 2006, 06:15 AM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moneys
thought you would paul the funny thing was he came round that night when i got out of hospital , he turned up with his mum and a box of chocolates and gave the bloody chocs to my mum as it was very traumatic for her there was me with a big bandage and 5 stitches and NO bloody chocolates. i never forgave him and still rermind him about the chocs now , the tight git.
Fancy a game of golf sometime?
Old 11 October 2006, 11:28 AM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

yes, its a very stiff shaft that you would need to have a swing speed of 125mph+ i would have said, it is exactly what i use!!
Old 11 October 2006, 05:36 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B9GLY
yes, its a very stiff shaft that you would need to have a swing speed of 125mph+ i would have said, it is exactly what i use!!
You have the same club head speed as Woods? thats impressive
Old 11 October 2006, 10:35 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Sorry but that is rubbish, to have an X in a fairway metal you need a swing speed of about 110 mph. But it doesn't matter as much on flex as opposed to the kick point of the shaft. What make is it? Let me know and i'll tell you if it's any good or not!

I have an average swing speed of 123 mph with a driver and i still use a Stiff shaft as opposed to an X because i find it easier to get the ball airbourne and shape it. It's all about finding the right shaft for YOU and not what the boy's on tv are using!

Gav..
Old 11 October 2006, 10:42 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Me in action

CLICK MEEEEEE

Come on everyone, lets see yours
Old 11 October 2006, 10:56 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobygav555
Sorry but that is rubbish, to have an X in a fairway metal you need a swing speed of about 110 mph. But it doesn't matter as much on flex as opposed to the kick point of the shaft. What make is it? Let me know and i'll tell you if it's any good or not!

I have an average swing speed of 123 mph with a driver and i still use a Stiff shaft as opposed to an X because i find it easier to get the ball airbourne and shape it. It's all about finding the right shaft for YOU and not what the boy's on tv are using!

Gav..
it was a graphite design shaft Graphite Design International - Golf Shaft | Tech Center [Shaft Fitting Chart] and was in a titleist 904F, i passed on this one and bought one with a stiff graphite design ys-6.

same kick point but i assume it will be slightly easier to get up?
Old 11 October 2006, 11:15 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Good shaft easy to get the ball up with. When i tried it i was hitting it too high!!!

It's just a case of experimenting with different ones until you find the right one! I recently changed to the Aldila NF green shaft and it's awesome in my driver. I've always prefered steel in my 3 wood, just find them more stable!

Gav..
Old 11 October 2006, 11:32 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

really after a high ball flight with the 3 wood TBH, for some reason (i expect **** golf swing)i just can't get woods in the air. hit a high iron, but woods forget it!

it should certainly be higher than the 2 iron it'll hopefully replace
Old 11 October 2006, 11:52 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

You should hit a 3 wood higher than a 2 iron!

all i can say mate is try and hit the ball on the up with your woods. Especially your driver! If your getting too steep on the downswing you have no chance of getting the ball up. Something i used to do was tee it up on a pencil and just feel like i was hitting the ball into the clouds. Really gets you behind the ball and you will start launching it better with far less spin and more distance!
Old 12 October 2006, 05:57 AM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Sorry but that is rubbish, to have an X in a fairway metal you need a swing speed of about 110 mph.
Are you saying an x100 shaft with a low kick point will give you the same ball flight as a ladies graphite "fishing rod" flex with the same kick point?? I think you'll find it wont

I have an average swing speed of 123 mph with a driver
Gav..
Another Tiger Woods
Old 12 October 2006, 05:58 AM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Me in action

CLICK MEEEEEE

Come on everyone, lets see yours

I see where you're going wrong, try facing the other way
Old 12 October 2006, 06:28 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

You should hit a 3 wood higher than a 2 iron!!
maybe i didn't put enough behind that comment
all i can say mate is try and hit the ball on the up with your woods. Especially your driver! If your getting too steep on the downswing you have no chance of getting the ball up. Something i used to do was tee it up on a pencil and just feel like i was hitting the ball into the clouds. Really gets you behind the ball and you will start launching it better with far less spin and more distance!
in all fairness i get good distance (consistent 260+) but it's the carry i lack. still it drives alot of people mad that they hit a lovely trajectory drive only to see my barnes wallace happily skipping past their ball

hitting up on it is the key,you're spot on. just can't get comfortable with the ball where it should be on set up, so i tend to play it inside my left foot which i guess is the problem. what do they say about bad habits feeling right after a while