Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry When will they learn

Morons

Millwall for provoking
and
Liverpool for retaliating

No excuses, fecking appalling behaviour. a disabled fan injured FFS

If it was chants about Hillsborough that started the violence, then it was totally unnecessary."

Seats were thrown from the upper tier of the stand containing Liverpool supporters, while fans in the lower tier of the away end rushed towards their Millwall counterparts and riot police were required to quell the damage.

And a disabled fan was injured at the perimeter of the pitch as supporters in the Liverpool end poured forward.

Liverpool went on to beat Millwall 3-0 in the cup tie.

Taken from here
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3957095.stm
Old 27 October 2004, 12:16 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Millwall chairman Theo Paphitis has denied any wrongdoing by the club's fans in the violent scenes at Tuesday's Carling Cup match against Liverpool.

Trouble erupted in the second half of the game at the New Den, during which 68 seats were ripped up and four people ejected from the ground.

But Paphitis told BBC Sport: "There was absolutely no problem with Millwall supporters at the game."

The Football Association, though, is set to investigate the incident.

Initial reports had said four people had been arrested, but Paphitis said: "There were four ejections, not arrests.

"Of course what happened is never good to see in the stands but it was from the Liverpool end and there was no problem with the Millwall fans."

Seats were thrown from the upper tier of the stand containing Liverpool supporters, while fans in the lower tier of the away end rushed towards their Millwall counterparts and riot police were required to quell the damage.

And a disabled fan was injured at the perimeter of the pitch as supporters in the Liverpool end poured forward.

Liverpool fans claimed the trouble was sparked by chants about the Hillsbrough disaster.

But Paphitis said: "There was a huge amount of chanting from both Liverpool and Millwall supporters but you couldn't make out what much of the chanting was."

Former Liverpool player Phil Neal, who attended the game as a commentator for a Liverpool-based radio station, described the scenes as "sad".

He said: "We should have gone past this issue by now. It's annoying it's still within the game

Tender subject, especially on here

Does this give a small minority of liverpool "supporters" the right to pour on to the pitch looking for trouble everytime someone makes a chant about hillsborough, knocking down your own disabled fans as well, how low is that.

What about every time "up down splat on the ground" and the other Munich related chants and songs get sung, does that give us the right to rip the seats out, Celtic and Rangers do they do this when the anti sectarian chants start?? er no they dont. Come on Liverpool make a stand against this minority of *****.
Old 27 October 2004, 01:06 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FM you should read accurate account from fans who were at the match last night as to exactly what the Millwall fans were doing.

Before you start, no, I don't condone that behaviour at all either and I am ashamed L'pool fans reacted the way they did.

Don't start me off on behaviour of opposing fans either!

Last edited by Redkop; 27 October 2004 at 01:18 PM.
Old 27 October 2004, 01:41 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Starting, me?? LOL

Hardly!!

And yes I have spoken to 2 people who were there last night, albeit Millwall supporters, one of which is a director of a large UK charity, my partners boss, bessie mates with Danny "fat boy" Baker, so hardly your hooligan eliment, but I understand what you're saying, two sides to every strory.

My post was not to wind up real liverpool fans just a rant at this mindless minority, it just makes my blood boil when these idiots just pile through the disabled, how callous is that, anyway i've made the reasons for my post clear previously, Dont use their chanting as an excuse to invade the pitch and rip the place apart, i'm sure those who perished, god bless their souls, would not want that either.
Old 27 October 2004, 01:48 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

2 accounts from a site I use and the main concensus is that this was a planned thing

1] Some people seem to be claiming that last nights events were caused by the Hillsborough chanting. Sorry guys, but I think you're wrong. Let me tell you what I saw.

The Millwall fans, particularly on the right hand side of the stadium (from our pov) were chanting incessantly about Hillsborough, along with various other crowd favorites like:

'You'll never make it to the tunnel'
'You're gonna get your fcucking heads kicked in', and
'Nobody likes us...'

The Liverpool crowd were initially amused by some of their songs, but about 15-20 mins in the Hillsborough chants started and the Liverpool fans rightly incensed by it. Of course once they saw what got our rag, it didn't stop.

Now it was the second half when the violence started. First off, someone was branded on our side (the bottom right) as being a Millwall fan, and the poor lad had abuse thrown at him left right and centre and the police were threatened to 'get him out, or we'll f'ing get him out for you'.

Soon after, and before he was skinned alive and strung up, something started to happen over on the Millwall fans right hand side. The police piled in round the back, and it looked like people were throwing things off the upper tiers. Next, some loon standing on the stairs where we were charged the police. On his own...Most people watched with an element of ghoulish curiosity.

However, straight afterwards, people started piling up the stairs from behind us and pouring down towards the police. I'd say well over 100 people came from behind us, and had obviously been gathering there for some time. And you know the rest.

This was as staged as you like. The disturbance on the Millwall side was timed with ours. And all the people who charged down the stairs had specially come down for the occasion. The guys at the front of the melee had been aggressive all match, singing their own bunch of songs (including racist songs), with no interest in the football whatsoever. They called themselves 'Sutcliffes Hammer boys' or something like that.

All I can say is the violence was due to hooligans, and certainly had little or nothing to do with the Liverpool away end being incensed over songs about Hillsborough.

It's a sad day to see these kind of things, particularly in the light of what we as a club have been through, but what it shows is that all clubs have their lunatic fringe, and ours is no exception.

2]I was in the lower end too, and very close to JamesA from the sound of it..

I actually managed to make out what kicked off in the Millwall fans end at the same time as ours...

A fan was being dragged away by a steward, after probably being marked as Liverpool. Millwall fans were getting in punches left, right & centre on this guy. The steward was alone in trygin to get him out. The Millwall fans actually managed to drag the guy back into the stand and pound him further. Took a minute or two for more Stewards & Police to arrive. By this time it was all kicking off in our section as well as theirs....
Old 27 October 2004, 08:02 PM
Corgi
Scooby Regular

I read that too Redkop, Hammers fans were mentioned??
Old 27 October 2004, 10:15 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Yep they were Corgi.... Do you use ynwa.tv then?
Old 27 October 2004, 10:55 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

From Official LFC site....

A LETTER TO LIVERPOOLFC.TV FROM A MILLWALL FAN
Liverpoolfc.tv 27 October 2004 Following last night's events at the New Den when Liverpool fans were subjected to taunts about the Hillsborough disaster from home supporters, we have received this letter from a Millwall fan. "I would just like to apologise to the Liverpool supporters for the disgraceful Hillsborough taunts at last night's game. I've been a Millwall fan all my life and have witnessed many low points in the club's recent history, from being a schoolboy at Luton in the quarter finals, to the near end of the club after the riot after the Birmingham play-offs.

"There were many thousands of other fans in the ground who feel the same as myself, that tragedies like Hillsborough should not be used for baiting away support, and I hope that the majority of Liverpool fans can understand that.

"There will always be an element of the crowd willing to use such taunts, and as the years pass I can only hope they become fewer and fewer. I've no problem with banter between fans as this adds to the atmosphere but there are some things that should be left alone.

"So on behalf of the majority of Millwall football fans I wish you all the very best in the next round of the competition and for the rest of the season.

God Bless & Good Luck
Old 27 October 2004, 11:28 PM
Corgi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Redkop
Yep they were Corgi.... Do you use ynwa.tv then?
I do, I'm a blue nose but I like to know what you lot are talking about It's a good forum actually.
Old 28 October 2004, 09:02 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

LOL... I will refrain from saying blue and white *****

Yep it is a very good forum, can't spend as much time as I would like on it though, I used to be a prolific poster on it and had a high post count which got wiped out when they changed to new software. Think I am Member No. 26 or summat