Notices
Sport General sport discussion

Mountain Bikes......

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2004, 09:53 PM
J S W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to get a mountain bike, 5/6 years ago I used to ride a lot but I am a bit out of date now.

I want to spend about £500 and want a all purpose bike for riding on the road and general use.

Nothing hardcore just a good solid bike, I will sacrifice suspension for a better specification.

Any recomendations, good deals or advice please can offer would be helpful.

Cheers

James
Old 06 January 2004, 12:21 PM
J S W
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 06 January 2004, 05:59 PM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

Suggestions:

Visit your local cycle dealer and see what they are like. Many are run by enthusiasts who will sell you the right bike not the most expensive one.

Secondly, pick up a copy of MBR Mountain Bike Rider from your newsagents. This gives good reviews and listings of all bikes.

Thirdly, attend some of the MTB events locally and get recommendations from local riders and see what they are using.

Its very difficult to advise ove rthe net as everyone has their own favourite makes. I personally love Cannondales but they are a bit over priced so not to everyones taste.

Try to get a test ride if possible before you spend the cash.

Buy the best you can afford or you will soon want to upgrade to something better.
Old 07 January 2004, 12:27 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

I also like my Cannondale (a Killer V currnently languishing in the garage unused for about 12 months)
Try looking in magazines inc Cycling Weekly, for good deals as many shops have sales at this time of year.
Edinburgh Bike Co-op have a sale with IIRC 15% off ALL bikes, also Bonthron Bikes and Evans Cycles often have good deals.
Wife has a Marin which is also pretty decent.
If regularly used off road then the transmission will need replaced regularly so frame/wheels probably most important.

My Cannondale is ok on road as it's light and stiff although a proper road bike is far, far nicer on tarmac due to weight, rolling resistance, gearing etc - tyres make a fair difference to road riding, knobblies are crap but smoother tyres will be equally useless off road when the going gets more difficult/muddy etc
Old 07 January 2004, 02:35 PM
stubee doo
Scooby Regular

yeah dont go to halfords cheap and nasty bikes guranteed to fall apart just after the warranty runs out:P

i have just got a decent bike a TREK3700 only £229 shimano brakes and gears 21 speed,thumb and finger gear change,RST front shockers really quite impressed with it,only draw back is the seat is like a razor blade so will be upgrading it.
also most modern bikes can be easily upgraded like front disc brakes can be fitted etc.