Old 29 April 2003, 01:41 PM
Little Miss WRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I finally got the answers......

Okay, for the drop ball things.

Law 8 states:

Dropped Ball

A dropped ball is a way of restarting the match after a temporary stoppage which becomes necessary, while the ball is in play, for any reason not mentioned elsewhere in the Laws of the Game.

That is basically my get out of jail free card.

Now let me add the paragraph in Law 12 where it states:

An indirect free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player, in the opinion of the referee:

(three more asterisked conditions before this one in the book)

* commits any other OFFENCE, not previously mentioned in Law 12, for which play is stopped to caution or dismiss a player.

The indirect free kick is taken from where the offence occurred.

Now, here I can point out more clearly the difference between those two paragraphs and the situation that we were on about.
If the player had attacked another player on the field of play, then an offence would have been committed.

In the situation described in my previous post a few days ago, a third party was involved so no offence occurred! Crazy, I hear you cry! Yes, it sounds crazy. It is not be considered an offence as such, but it is classified as an act of violence.

As no offence has been committed against the opposing team, you cannot apply the paragraph of Law 12 that I have written above.
You can still, however, apply the sending off paragraph of Law 12 because the player is still involved in the game whether play is active or not.

So therefore, for the restart of the game after the situation we both have come to know very well , the paragraph in Law 8 as stated above, applies about the drop ball being used.

I hope that this does help clear things up for you! It took some answering from my tutors and had them thinking. we all agree that the 2003 Law book is poorly worded compared to earlier editions.

Cheers,

Michelle.

[Edited by Little Miss WRX - 4/29/2003 2:21:33 PM]