Notices
Sport General sport discussion

Arse v Utd = 2 Bobbins Refereeing Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2003, 10:04 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot better match than I thought it would be, even though a draw. However, yet againg the main points of discussion aftermatch will be the two (main) atrocious refereing decisions.

1. Henry's offside. About as blatant as you can get.
2. Campbells elbow. He definetly elbowed Solskjaer but it was not intentionally. It was more being unaware of where Ole was. Yellow card yes, but not red. As for Ole over reacting - cant say for sure. Any kind of punch/elbow to the nose is very painful.

Which hurt the most? Well we lost a goal but Arsenal have lost an important player for 4 games so only time will tell.

Draw seems a fair result in the end even considering the flukey nature of Henry's first goal.

Simon.
Old 16 April 2003, 10:08 PM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

Offside was clear as day, comentators and fans at home can see it, but linesmen can't

Red card was clear too, he knew ole was there and elbowed him, why else would he have his elbow there?
Old 16 April 2003, 10:32 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Agree with P1. I think the first Arsenal goal was off side also.

I agree that Campbel should only have got a yellow. Will he miss games this season? or will Arsenal appeal allowing him to play all the remaining games!
Old 16 April 2003, 10:36 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

I agree with Simon on this one.

Linesman for Henry's goal should be demoted to schoolboy football. I defy ANY Arsenal fan to argue that Henry was onside.

I think the red card was harsh, given the various replays, but from the Linesman's view it looked pretty bad. But... he definately deliberately swung his arm, and you're not allowed to shield the ball using your arm. He definately made contact with Solskjaer, so you could argue that deliberate elbow or not, it was dangerous play. Even though I think it was harsh, I don't think it will be overturned on appeal.

One that I'll need to see again... was Henry offside for the first goal?

[Edited to add:]
The sending off was not down to the ref. Once the Linesman called it as deliberate, he had no choice.

[Edited by dharbige - 4/16/2003 10:38:45 PM]
Old 16 April 2003, 10:43 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Yeah dharbige (is it Dan??) - I forget to say that. The cameras were up close and you heard the ref ask the linesman are you sure "it was deliberate" was the answer. He had no choice if he didnt have a clear view.

Simon.
Old 16 April 2003, 11:16 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

last game of the season........ picture in picture......... Sky wil be having a field day!
Old 17 April 2003, 12:12 AM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Just watched the highlights, and it's not as blatant as for the second goal, but I do think Henry was offside for the first.
Same bloody Linesman aswell!
Old 17 April 2003, 12:23 AM
3times
Scooby Regular

If none of you could see that 'the ambulance driver from casualty' deliberatley swung his arm out you should start following bowls or something.

He stepped into the Manc and swung out. The Manc made a meal of it but the facts speak for themselves.

Big ambulance driver against a baby faced Manc, no real need to swing out. But then again the **** seem to get away with flailing arms. (Keown - Van Nistleroy, Berkamp - Bowyer).

Top decision from lino.

By the way I am a neutral so not biased.
Old 17 April 2003, 12:26 AM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Bravo,

It's a close one, so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Would you say that United were the better team on the night?
Old 17 April 2003, 11:12 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Shearer is the elbow god. He was throwing it around like nobodies business last weekend. On the whole I think it was a fair result although its always a bit gutting to lose to a fluke goal and and offside goal. It sure keeps the title fight alive - I dont think I will have any nails left by the end of the season.

I would never had dreamed that we got 7 points out of Liverpool, Newcastle and Arsenal - especially as we played the top two away.

Simon.
Old 17 April 2003, 11:17 AM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Just to add something to the debate on Sol's sending-off:

From FIFA Rules Of the Game:

Screening the ball
It is not an offence if a player, with the ball under control within playing distance, screens the ball from an opponent without using his arms.
If however he prevents an opponent challenging for the ball by illegal use of the hand, arm, legs or body he must be penalised by a direct free kick, or a penalty kick if the offence was committed inside the penalty area.

So the argument that Sol was "legitimately" trying to hold Solskjaer off is a moot point.

(And I know, it happens all the time. That doesn't make it a valid defence.)
Old 17 April 2003, 12:07 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

What about Ruuds push on Campbell when he was shadowing the ball out for a goal kick? How on earth did we get a corner for that? Should have been a free kick to ****.

I for one think ball shadowing really spoils the game but until they introduce a rule then we are just going to have to lump it and play by it.

Simon.
Old 17 April 2003, 12:45 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

3times - agree with you 100% (except for the Neutral bit - not sure how Neutral a Hammer can be when it come's to the **** ). Utd should have had three points last night - at least it keeps it interesting for the next few weeks - which can't be bad - all the **** need now is for Spurs to help them out .

Wonder if Sol can sing as well as what's his name from casualty
Old 17 April 2003, 12:51 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Question

What about Ruuds push on Campbell when he was shadowing the ball out for a goal kick?
I saw it as a shoulder barge, legit bearing in mind technically Campbell was on the ball.
Old 17 April 2003, 01:17 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Good game in the end, thought Gooners showed too much respect first half.

Decisions, well sometimes you get them and sometimes you don't, these things do have a way of levelling themselves out.

Hope Campbell decision gets overturned as IMO didn't think it was deliberate.
Old 17 April 2003, 01:46 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Doesn't matter if it was deliberate. Only matters if it was dangerous. If it was deliberate, it's a matter for the Courts.

I also agree with MattW on the Ruud/Sol coming together. Sol set himself to shield out Ruud with his body...Ruud just went in harder with his shoulder. Looked fair to me. (But I was wearing blue-tinted glasses yesterday evening!)
Old 17 April 2003, 02:47 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Well I'll have to watch it again as I swear it was a push with the hand and not the shoulder.

I see Henry is complaining about the sending off even though the ref has agreed to review it. Dont see him mentioning the fact his goal was 2 yards offside.

Spurs may do **** a favour but theyve got Saints to come whove taken 3 points off them already and are playing well - that wont be an easy match!

Si.
Old 19 April 2003, 11:47 AM
Little Miss WRX

Exclamation

The sending off was not down to the ref. Once the Linesman called it as deliberate, he had no choice.
The referee DID have a choice.

He chose to act on the linesman's word........
Old 19 April 2003, 12:26 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Well, if you're going to get all technical about it, he could have chosen to to book Solskjaer for unsporting behaviour.

But I still mantain that after going over to the linesman and asking him what happened (live, in full view of the camera, and audible on the mikes aswell), after specifically asking him "deliberate?", and receiving the answer "yes", he had no option.
Old 19 April 2003, 01:22 PM
Little Miss WRX

Wink

LOL, sometimes even I can't answer why a referee does something.

But, given the amount of pressure, he would have been very unwise to not act upon the linesman's advice.
Old 19 April 2003, 01:56 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

The referee DID have a choice.

He chose to act on the linesman's word........
Chelle, thats just being pedantic. If he didnt see the situation then he had no information on which to base he decision. So he either ignores it and pretends nothing happened, or refers to his "assistant", as they arent called linesman (we can all be pedantic ), and bases his decision on the information he is given. IMHO this was the right choice at the time as the assistant was in a much better position to see what happened.

Simon.
Old 19 April 2003, 07:54 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

"Given the amount of pressure"

What pressure??? from whom?? a couple of the Arsenal team made small comments but I did not see 10 players running towards him demanding Sol was sent off or kept on. A ref who makes decisions because of "pressure" beit from players or the crowd should not be reffing a game to start with!

JP on 606 made a valid comment tonight, the English game and the players participating are much faster than they were 10-15 years ago and he feels sorry for the refs who have to make these instant decisions when the game is played at the pace it is. I agree and the old argument of a 4th official in the stands with a monitor has to be the only way forward, so what the game may take an extra 5-10 minutes to complete, big deal. If that had happened on Wednesday Sol would of had a yellow, but how would the 4th "stand" official see the 2nd Henry goal, would he have buzzed the ref and the line to say by the way lads that was two weeks offside dont give the goal?? a bit of a tough one because so many little things are missed you could have my imaginary 4th official blowing up for everything and taking full control of the game which sort of defeats the object.

On that note I wish you all goodbye for two weeks, im off on me hols what a bummer i'm going to have to watch the next two games in a bar drinking ice cold beer complaining about the heat

Dave
Old 19 April 2003, 11:41 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

What about Ljundberg today vs Boro? He went down like a sack of spuds and he only had a hand across the side of his head. Ole had an elbow to his nose and was accused of exaggerating. I dont confess that our team are saints but **** should look a bit closer to home when speaking IMHO.

Simon.
Old 20 April 2003, 12:15 AM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Shouldn't Neimi have been sent off ?

Why didn't Ricardo get sent off for being last man (ref Hyppia incident!). Didn't even get a card. Would have been a diff game if he had been sent off, but then I guess the ref knew that.

Not sure if the pressure at the top is now getting to the officials. Too much inconsistency, ruining the game.
Old 20 April 2003, 05:24 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

When I say pressure I mean the fact that he could have been caught on camera and what he said audible.......

If you, as a referee, feel pressure from the fans and let them affect your decisions.....then IMHO it is time to put your whistle away and give up refereeing.

P1Fanatic....yeah I know they are called referee's assistants....all because of this stupid PC stuff. It doesn't bother me one single bit being called a linesmen and I am sure it doesn't really bother other female officials either. Probably some male who thought it better to play safe and bow down to the feminists in this world who probably don't even know what football is.

[Edited by Little Miss WRX - 4/20/2003 5:25:06 AM]
Old 20 April 2003, 07:59 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

P1 - if ever there was a "crime" suitable for FA "Video evidence" punishments it's diving in it's various forms. I don't know anyone on the planet that likes diving (in football) so why don't the FA get their fingers out and punish this aspect of the game out of the game once and for all ??

Quick Reply: Arse v Utd = 2 Bobbins Refereeing Decisions