Notices
Sport General sport discussion

Mellberg to go???

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2003, 12:01 PM
Little Miss WRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cross posted from the Villa BBS.....

Gareth Barry has revealed that he would like to have a stab at captaining the side at Villa Park at some stage in the future.

Barry has emerged as Villa's 'player of the season in waiting' after the impressive form that he has shown playing down the left wing this term and would love to display his leadership skills as well.
However, he feels that the chance of him taking over the captain's armband is unlikely to happen in the short term though.
Steve Staunton, who is currently sidelined by groin and ankle problems, has the role of skipper when he is in the side and whenever manager Graham Taylor has not been able to call on the former Republic of Ireland captain, he has handed the role to Sweden international Olof Mellberg.
Barry said: "Nothing has ever been said to me about being captain and when Steve Staunton hasn't been in the side, the armband has gone to Olof Mellberg, but you never know who is going to be around next season.
"If that was the case, I would be more than delighted to captain a club of this size at such a young age. I would never turn something like that down.
"I have become more vocal this season. It was something I needed to work on and it probably helped being captain of the England Under-21 side.
"Also with me getting older, there are lots of younger players in the squad and it makes you feel that there's a need to be more vocal and show a bit more leadership."

I am surprised that I haven't seen leaks of Vassell, Angel or Barry going. I hope not to see any of them leave. In all honesty I wouldn't be saddened to see De La Cruz go.
Old 09 January 2003, 08:32 PM
will19702001
Scooby Regular

It`s a bit soon i think for GB to captain us.It was only a year ago that he wanted away remember altho he has improved attitude wise.Maybe another close season to test his staying power then award him the honour...lol

I see there are no transfer movements as yet? Looks like Alpay is ******* everything up again...cant do anything till he`s sold.

I can see the rest of the season being as stale as the 1st part.

Old 10 January 2003, 02:20 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Alpay needs to go, he has messed the fans around too much.....

Quotes from fans.....
Respect has gone and the Holte forgave him before,They will not do it again.
It's so transparant even a blind man with a stick could see through it.
I am off to the biggest club in the prem.I am of to Liverpool,blackburn,Manure,Tottenham,Blose,Newcast le,Leeds.
Oh no I am not,Rethink,tell them it was not really me who said all that,blame the agents,the weather man,the media,and then play again,Kiss the badge and the fools will love me again.
Bleeding hearts or what?
Makes me feel sick

what i can see happening is that he will clear the air, try and play well, maybe win the fans back (not this fan though!!) and then along comes the summer "aston villa dont use my brand of toilet roll!! i want a transfer!"

to be honest, i dont think anything will come from that talks. i am not sure Taylor would have him back in the team neway, not after his refusal to play in the reserves and his fight with Angel. Plus the other players wont even talk to him!!
His Villa career is dead and buried, the question is not if? but when will he get a transfer?

I sincerely hope that someone is stupid enough to buy him NOW. Do you honestly think we should play him just because he runs up to the Holte End and kisses his badge, like it means something to him? Sorry, don't agree

Hasnt Alpay donr the apology and committment thing once already?
He is a liar and a judas(now thats an insult to a turk).
He should never wear a Villa shirt again and as far as I am concerened he can rot in hell.
there is absolutely no way he would be accepted now and if he played the crowds reaction would only damage the rest of the team

And finally my say on Alpay.....
When Alpay plays he is magic, but when he gets tackled he almost has a tantrum on the pitch and gives up. FFS, we don't NEED players like that!!! We need workers. He is just too inconsistent at the moment. He will need to work damn hard to get back in the team and win fans like myself back.

Our midfield is complete *** and consists of Barry working his *** off. We have f3ck all in the way of finishing shots and our defence falls apart when an attack from the opposition forms!!!!!

The thing that gets to me is that we do have a fantastic side, but they are just not putting 100% into playing for the Claret and Blue colours.

Alpay is loved by the fans as you can see. LOL.............and they were the nice ones.

I agree that Barry is a bit young to be captaining the side, but the way he is going I bet it is towards the end of the season that he does.......
Old 12 January 2003, 02:40 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Angry

ELLIS SPEND SOME ******* MONEY. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]