Notices
Sport General sport discussion

scotlands excuses for not qualfying in the fist place

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2002, 07:53 PM
g0d
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problems could all be solved by having complete unity between all the home nations that means one UK footy team ( Get ryan Giggs in an england shirt before its too late) this would obviously never happen because all the scots welsh etc want to seperate themselves from England not bring themselves closer.

btw for all the 'X was invented by a scotsman' people my TV is plasma screen and my phone is digital so nothing to do with scotland.
Thank you and good night

Edited to point out that every innovation followd on from another and that with out the projector the scotsman would never have invented the TV

[Edited by g0d - 7/4/2002 2:07:26 PM]
Old 22 June 2002, 06:14 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Smile

craig mac youre starter for 10

before we start let me say that the last time scotland qualified and we didnt everyone i knew in england were behind scotland including me and one of my favourite world cup moments is "that"
goal by Archie Gemmil
nice man by the way he still lives in derby and commands loads of respect.
I'd like to think an England player could receive similair treatment in Scotland but seeing yours and others posts Idoubt it somehow

i think seeing fans in Edinburgh going as far as to wear Argentinian shirts when i'm sure plenty of scots guards payed the ultimate price in the falkands really saddens and perplexes everyone in England.

ffs Grow up and leave the distant past where it should be
Old 22 June 2002, 06:28 PM
Craig Mac21
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well for starters

I lost my father and a brother in the Falklands who yes were in deed in the Scots guards.
And i thank you and respect you for your view on that subject.

I Served in the Balkans with lots of top/Diamond Geezers(english lads) as i called them and we had a ball.

If you look at my post about keeping the football forum i also mentioned an English team that i follow with a passion.I travel to various Grounds all over England every season to watch my team and again i a jock have a fekking great time every time with again Diamond geezers(and no it is not Man Utd) Not that there is anything wrong with that. Look who there manager brought to European glory b4 going there.

So if you think my views are anti English you are very wrong.

This has all been a great wind up about the English performance at the world cup and i must say was below what even i a scotsman expected.

It then started to get a wee bit bitchie as a few of your fellow country men spat the dummy.

So

Nuff said really

As for us not qualifying in the first place you know why as do all of us up here "We are Crap"

If english fans had a more down to earth view on there team and took losses etc on the chin then there would not be all this bitching as they all seem to think that they are invincible.Which has been proved again they are not.

At the end of the day its only a game. The sooner some realise that the better.

Craig

[Edited by Craig Mac21 - 6/22/2002 6:32:54 PM]
Old 22 June 2002, 06:29 PM
triple top
Scooby Regular

Smile

I spoke to my Scottish mate last night from college and the reason they hate the english is because news,media etc is constanly showing english success(or not!!!) etc and they think that they dont get a look in.

Personaly i think its mostly true but i would love to see our home nation doing well in sport,so they(scotland,wales,n ireland)have got a chance to change the media and show them qualifying for big champonships ie euro champs and world cup.

Im looking forward to the commonwealth games and the athletics thats more my sport.
Old 22 June 2002, 06:34 PM
Craig Mac21
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Triple

Do you live in the Bridge area? Home of the most beautiful football in the land ?

Craig
Old 22 June 2002, 06:56 PM
triple top
Scooby Regular

Talking

Not now was flooded out to many times LOL and im NOT a leeds utd fan NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!man u YES "only joking"

Old 22 June 2002, 07:04 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

all fair points Craig Mac

but what would youre reaction be (bearing in mind your sad loss)if you walked into a pub in scotland to see a room full of your fellow countrymen wearing argentinian shirts as was shown on TV.
To my mind this sort of behaviour is far worse than any insult thrown scotlands way on this board and an even bigger insult to you personally.

I have to agree that some england ahem "supporters" go way over the top but I'm sure Some Scotland supporters are equally blinded by National Pride.

As far as the media goes we have no control I'm equally as sick of seeing Man U hogging all the limelight.

asfar as this goes

"If english fans had a more down to earth view on there team and took losses etc on the chin then there would not be all this bitching as they all seem to think that they are invincible.Which has been proved again they are not".

youre just plain wrong there are comments right across the spectrum on this board with out your prompting
I thought we had one of the best chances yet of beating Brazil
but always knew we were up against it.
the best thing about this world cup is that I know we will come back even stronger next time as long as The Premiership money wagon hasnt knackered all englands players next time (and no thats not an excuse just a statement of fact)

Matt

[Edited by mattstant - 6/22/2002 7:06:59 PM]
Old 22 June 2002, 08:58 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

A Scottish bloke turned up at the pub I was in wearing an Argentina shirt for the England - Argentina game.

Can you imagine a Manc in a Glasgow boozer doing the same?

[Edited by sammyh - 6/22/2002 11:08:48 PM]
Old 23 June 2002, 10:43 AM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

did he live through the experience ???
Old 23 June 2002, 12:46 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Smile

I realise it is sometimes difficult to understand the Scot's attitude to the England football team. On the other hand, try watching Des Lynam, Jimmy Hill and listen to John Motson & Clive Tyldsley. Now try doing it and pretending that you do not support England. They get right up our noses with their arrogant and smug manner. Even Trevor Brooking gets embarasseded sometimes.
I felt sorry for England as they were on a no win situation after the first phase. Overall they did okay. Tha players are ok, the manager is ok & the fans are ok. It's the tw*ts that talk & write about the team. IMHO
Alasdair (Scots father - English mother)
Oh and I also think Alan Hansen is a d*ckhead.
Old 23 June 2002, 01:17 PM
Little Miss WRX

Angry

On the other hand, try watching Des Lynam, Jimmy Hill and listen to John Motson & Clive Tyldsley. Now try doing it and pretending that you do not support England.
What do you mean? I hate listening to that bunch of w@nkers.

They are all d1ckheads. I get very frustrated as an England fan listening to the bullsh1t that pours out of their mouths in torrents [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 23 June 2002, 03:47 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

agreed jhon motson is a complete dikchead his only saving grace is his encyclopeadic knowledge of the game.
He always seems to be striving to match jhon Wolstenhumes "they think its all over" quote, with disasterous overweaning tones and some of the worst aliterations ever attempted.
I always Think Alan Partridge every time i hear him now.
matt
Old 23 June 2002, 04:01 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

On the other hand, try watching Des Lynam, Jimmy Hill and listen to John Motson & Clive Tyldsley. Now try doing it and pretending that you do not support England.

EH let me see if ive got this right
you like England
you like the fans
you liked the way the team played
you like the manager
but you hate the journalists and commentators

so why post all the drivel on this web site full of mostly genuine fans.

Why not post to the BBC ITV and all the Tabloids????
Old 25 June 2002, 08:25 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

errr gone a bit quite in hear now
Old 25 June 2002, 10:58 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

mattstant

yes he did get out ok but then england won. i did mention in the previous thread that he was a bit vocal, cheering on argetina and all that but it got edited (maybe it was worded incorrectly).

stu.
Old 26 June 2002, 03:20 AM
Brian Swan
Scooby Regular

We don't have any excuse at the moment. At the moment we don't have an Archie Gemmil or Dalglish so at the moment we are crap.

In this W.C. so far i have been neutral when it comes to England. On the one hand i want to stop hearing about 1966 and get a "home nation" to win whilst on the other i fear for never hearing the end of it (like a Virginia Wade win at Wimbledon).

Add to this the hype in the British Press (i'm talking BBC etc. so international stuff) about Becks, Becks' foot, the squad, etc. etc. etc. etc. it's easy to say "Please Stop." An England win would make this unbearable.

Is it that England over estimated their worth this time? I don't know, all i know is that Scotland made a similar mistake when we played in Argentina ("because Scotland is the Greatest Football Team", was how the song went).

England played okay, and got as far as they could. It's a pity the draw was not more favourable - it would at least have been nice for them to reach the final before getting beat by Brazil.

The bit about Scots wearing Argie tops, i don't agree with that although i can claim to supporting Oz in the local rugby 7's when they played England. Ours was in good humour, though, because there was enough English support we felt that Oz was feeling a little left out.
Old 26 June 2002, 03:32 AM
Little Miss WRX

Angry

Why not post to the BBC ITV and all the Tabloids????
Don't worry I have done, but TV is so dumbed down nowadays that are they going to listen? Are they ****
Old 30 June 2002, 09:38 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Ok - gloves off. I was trying to be fair & reasonable.
It is utter agony watching england. If they do anything remotely average, it's bloody brilliant. If they are crap, then its someone elses fault, the season is too long, the grass is too long, seamans ponytail is too long, the ref is p*sh.
Can't they just say they are an average team at the minute. Don't worry I don't suffer any illusions about Scotland - they are mince. But at least we can have a laugh about ourselves when we ***** up as usual. England seem to have this right to be bloody marvellous and if they're not someone elses fault(uually the manager)
Funny how Brazil or Germany don't seem to make too many excuses. In all honestly tell me that when England win they are not innsufferable(Journalists & TV Pundits)
And the reason I posted previous comment on this board is because this is where the issue was first raised. Not a lot of point answering a question on BBC site when they would'nt have a clue what the question wasabout.
Rant off
Alasdair
Old 30 June 2002, 10:54 PM
triple top
Scooby Regular

Our expectations are MUCH higher than scotland that is why we complain and try find why it happened but Germany will be finding someone to blame(kahn??)and im sure italy,spain,argentina etc etc where finding excuses to,its not just England.

Old 01 July 2002, 10:14 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Bollox .

Your delusions are much higher.

No one nation in the UK is any "better" than the other. We all have our good points and our bad points, nationally.

What Alasdair has said is entirely correct. Most current issues between Scotland and England are generated by media bias. But there are other issues that make Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland feel aggrieved. Its not really surprising mind you when England has the largest population and hence electorate.

As an example, I've lost count of the number of times I've had Scottish notes (as in £££) rejected in England over the years . Its like the only thing that matters is within Englands borders. We, of course, are happy to accept any legal tender

Then of course, there is the issue of how the English treated the Scotts, Welsh and Irish attrociously over the centuries, but lets not go there

Its hard to explain the depth of feeling the Scots Irish and Welsh have. Its also probably completely irrational at the end of the day. I for one have many good friends from England.

The day Westminster and the media figure it out, is the day that the 4 nations will pull together properly as one

D
Old 01 July 2002, 01:18 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

What Alasdair has said is entirely correct. Most current issues between Scotland and England are generated by media bias
Diablo - close but not quite there. I've been in Scotland for 14 years or so and the Media has pretty much been the same since 1966 (sorry to mention the year - I was 2 at the time and don't remember much ) - Issues, as you so politely put it, have got a whole lot worse in the last 5 years or so. There's always been rivalry at the footy and that's to be expected - I'm afraid the issues are caused by political unrest (largely by Maggie Thatcher and the way she (and her spineless government) treated everybody but latterly by spineless Tony and more broken promises. To put the "Issues" down to Motti, Trev & Big Ron is making light of what has become a very serious Issue

Jase
Old 01 July 2002, 02:39 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Jasey, agreed.

Its not just those biased football pundits that are the problem, although as far as the Scots supporting England in the world cup, they don't help.

I was referring to the media in general, everything from the BBC (may as well be the EBC) to the UK wide Broadsheets, to the Tabloids, notwithstanding BBC Scotland (there's a laugh, they don't even know what 90% of us want to watch..LOL..) and the scottish versions of the Sun, Star, etc & from news items to sport reporting.

I mean FFS, they broadcast a Scottish soap in England and it comes with subtitles What do we speak, a foreign language

Funny how we can all understand English based soaps...lol..

Totally agree about the Politicians though.[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

D
Old 01 July 2002, 04:28 PM
triple top
Scooby Regular

Diablo,i was talking about football and sport in general,NOT politics and history.
Old 01 July 2002, 08:30 PM
Craig Mac21
Scooby Regular

Wink

If it wasn't for those initial invention's you would never have had any of them.

If it wasn't for a Jock inventor you would not have tyres on your car either

numb nuts
Old 02 July 2002, 11:00 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Get ryan Giggs in an england shirt before its too late
Perhaps its that attitude that annoys the Scots...

It should be "Get ryan Giggs in a Great Britain/United Kingdom shirt before its too late"

Have to say the antipathy the celts feel when their teams go out is beyond me. More than happy to sit cheering Ireland/Scotland/Wales if England are not in it - but then is that 'cos all their players are in the premiership anyway ?

It has always confused me why the govenment prattles on about having an "inclusive" society but then goes out of its way to highlight/promote/exaggerate/encourage differences between regions.

Very confused about the whole thing.

Deano
Old 02 July 2002, 02:01 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Nicely said Deano

England does not = UK/Great Britain and thats much of the problem.

D
Old 02 July 2002, 02:08 PM
Little Miss WRX

Wink

Funny how we can all understand English based soaps...lol..
You don't watch those **** programs do you????

Actually, maybe if a UK team was put together, we might all have a chance of winning something instead of the continuous disappointment, if only and should have done better non-achievements of the individual teams that we have now

Maybe not then

Old 02 July 2002, 10:01 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Could you imagine the problems of a UK team.
Manager - Right lads, Nos 1 - 11 will be the England team, maybe have Giggs as a Sub or even (shock horror) give him a game instead of Heskey. As for the Scots - not worth picking any of them although the physio is quite good and does anyone know any of the Northern Ireland team.
Okay - honest everyone will agree with my team choice and I won';t be blamed if we get humped.

Come to think of it only Giggs & Ferguson of Rangers would probably make a UK team.
Alasdair
Old 02 July 2002, 10:55 PM
Little Miss WRX

Question

Erm, what's up with Ferdinand????
Old 03 July 2002, 01:01 PM
The Maive
Scooby Regular

Alan Patridge would be great as a footy commentator, who can forget his stint on The Day Today

" THAT is a Goal "
" And another "
" Eat my Goal "
" The goalkeepers got football pie all over his face "

Majestic!