Southern (England) Southern Meetings & Events

Bentley Wildfoul and Motor Museum

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2001, 05:05 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

OK, seem to recall that nearly a year ago I posted a thread with exactly the same name, this was back when I was a scooby virgin and had not attended my first meet, which was....

<B>Southern Region Porsche Club and SIDC meet at Bentley Wildfoul and Motor Museum in east Sussex.</B>

not onto the meat. (<I>apologies to anyone on iwoc email list who may have seen this</I> )

Someone on iwoc asked about contact details for bentley, breifly mentioning the meet there last year, I obliged by presenting them with the details. Pete Croney replied saying that we (SIDC) had, as far as he was aware not been invited back this year (SIDC was invited by SRPC to attend) and as far as he was aware only a couple of cars turned up. but he was not sure as he was not there

Well, my recollection was of leading a convoy of 10 cars down there (pretty good for my first meet!) and from what I recall there were about 20 - 50 imprezas, a few Evo's, oh, and some Porsches

Anyway, the real reason for the this thread is:

How many of you would be interested in coming to Bentley again? I should state that this is a <B>S O C I A L</B> meet and there is not, repeat not a track in sight, though Bentley does have a motor museum and a nice wildfoul park.

I ask because I enjoyed the meet, as I'm a social meet kinda guy, and I met quite a few people who i'd be scoobynetting with for quite some time, which was nice.

I also ask as, in my eyes, last years event was a disaster from the viewpoint of there being NO official club representation at all, we all mingled and talked, but there was not focal point, eg; refreshment tent/bbq/etc thus we all hung around in small groups which did not interact with other small groups. The lack of SIDC attending was, in my opinion very very bad form, seeing as at the AGM it was stated, albeit by a committe member that has now left the committe and the scooby scene, that Bentley was one of their major social events! OK, it was pointed out at the AGM that some people had to work, or had other commitments, committe members have full time jobs, etc...... So what! you knew about the event! what about ASKING someone to attend on behalf of the committe? surley someone would have done this if asked. I do have a feeling that there may have been a trackday on the same day (**edit yup, had it confirmed that there was a track day at Donnington on same day and track days are so much more worthy than the odd social event hmm, bad bit of event planning methinks! ***),which might have been the real reason but I can't remember if that's true or not, anyway I digress.

So, anyone know who at the porsche club I should talk to? email address would be great as I'm on the phone all day.

I've emailed the porsche clubs I could find, plus Bentley to ask about the meet and if we can come too.

What I want to know is:

* Would you come (Porsche meet date is Sunday 10th June 2001)

* Would you be prepared to being your own picnic, or would you prefer a BBQ to be laid on (if Bentley allows this of course, the roaming peacocks and peahens might object to being roasted on a BBQ ) Would you pay for food?

* Would you be prepared to bring outdoor games, eg; cricket, rounders/baseball (scoobynet vs iwoc, or scoobynet vs 22b ) croquet, etc?

Oh, I'm &lt;b&gt;not&lt;/b&gt; (yet) volunteering myself as a regional organiser, mainly due to my hectic workload, mainly due to being on-site more than in the office, thus lack of email/interent access, plus no PC at home (shock horror! ). would love to do it, and maybe will, but at moment cannot, which I guess explains why things like this don't get that well organised.

I was at the AGM so I am aware that the club will give whatever aid is needed, plus Pete Croney has also emailed me to say as much, so thanks Pete.

Markus.

[This message has been edited by Markus (edited 23 April 2001).]
Old 24 April 2001, 10:39 AM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Talking

Markus,

We'd definitely be there - had a great time last year - apart from hayfever It was good to be able to take time out and meet so many new people without rushing around anywhere.

I do remember that the majority of people were annoyed that there wasn't an official SIDC presence (felt that they "hadn't bothered") and that nothing had been organised.

However, believe that we did more or less outnumber everyone else there (agree with Markus'estimate).

If someone was prepared to organise this as an official event, it would be a great day out (whether or not there's a BBQ or people just do their own thing, that's up to the majority/organisers to decide).

A number of us are meeting tomorrow night at the Jacobean in Bexley (posted on SNet), and I would imagine that the majority of them would be up for it - it's where most of us originally met each other last June.

K
Old 24 April 2001, 10:59 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Kim, Thanks for the post, was wondering if anyone was going to post.

Will be at Jacobean tomorrow, so remind me to mention it.
Old 24 April 2001, 09:33 PM
SuzyQ
Scooby Regular

Guess I will be coming to bently too!!!
Ok if it goes ahead lets make it a really good meeting,i'll drink Markus can drive hehehehehehe!!!!!
No seriously,if it goes ahead who will bring a football croquet set we could play adults(girls) v kids(boys)
really think we should show sidc how an event should really be!!!!
Old 24 April 2001, 10:54 PM
Rambo
Scooby Regular

Talking

Markus

Just like yourself, our visit to Bently was our first meet, not bad day out, I do remember that there was a small restuarant within the park, near to where we parked, long queue. I have a friend, a Porsche owner, who helped to arrange this double meet. I will ring him tomorrow and let you know any details and any contact name, The organisers I believe were father and son, the latter being a Subaru owner.
Old 24 April 2001, 10:58 PM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I was there last year and can confirm there were at least 30 scoobies present. Will definitely try and make it this year again if its on. Will mention it to anyone that turns up at the Pease Pottage (Sussex) meet on 6/5.

Its a good day out, and a chance to take the scooby through that tunnel at Lewes with all the windows open

Mark

Old 25 April 2001, 12:38 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Have emailed Lisa asking about flyers, mainly for non internet types. I want to get as many people there as possible, try and beat last years approx 30 scoobies.

So..
hands up who's going to come?

There IS a small fee to get into the place, so hope that don't put you off, will post exactly what it is when I know, think it's discounted due to the event, though not 100 percent sure on it.

There is a small cafe there, so food is available, but they do welcome picnics, so please bring your own food, plus some to share

Also, there are large grounds, so bring a football, kite, cricket set, croquet, baseball, etc.. maybe we can arrange a scoobynet vs SIDC footy match or something!

Anyway, hope to see you all there.
Old 25 April 2001, 08:05 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yeah I'd be up for it too.
To be honest I was very dissapointed with the chairmans response on IWOC. We definitely had 50 cars there last year and the same the year before. Pete seemed a little condenscending in his reply IMHO, something about 'shine and show', as if it was an inferior/intrinsically less valuable meet than the trackday meets. Well maybe it is to the hardened track goers, but the majority of the SIDC still don't participate in track events.
Frankly the SIDC needs more official meets/presence. The AGM last year was a joke as the date and venue wasn't announced till very late and it seems the same thing's going to happen this year. Grumble grumble mumble mumble says I.
Death to SIDC, long live the SSCC (ScoobynetSocialCarClub) (Except for the Essex region of course, Colin will sort that out I'm sure )
Chuck
Old 25 April 2001, 08:16 AM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well done to the people above... I find it strange that sooo many people were there last year and yet nobody else has replied?? you were there, I saw you all!! so where are you???

Dom
Old 25 April 2001, 09:01 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Chuck,
Someone else with same opinion as me. Pete's reply did strike me as 'well, it was not a trackday, so why turn up?'

SSCC - carefull, you might tread on SuzyQ's toes with her SCID idea (social club 'for'impreza drivers) see
Old 25 April 2001, 09:04 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

I think Bentley is one of the meets frequented by SIDC members who are not internet freaks like us Dom. Scoobynet/Internet doesn't have the reach that people think it has.
Chuck
Old 25 April 2001, 09:07 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Nah Marcus, me lady is out tonight, I have charge of the kids and it's a school night, bed by 8
Have fun!
C\
Old 25 April 2001, 09:56 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Hi Peeps.
Please see my reply to Suzy's thread, but please don't think that the SIDC exists purely for track events, as that simply isn't the case. This summer has several very large social gatherings planned, so let's enjoy them!

Stef.
Old 25 April 2001, 11:42 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Right, update time!

I have just spoken to Peter Skelton, who is the Sussex Regional Organiser for the Porsche Club of GB.

Peter, has, once again, extended the invitation for us to join them at Bentley this year, the date is currently set for Sunday June 10th.

Peter is going to contact Bentley to see if the event is still going ahead, which it may not due to foot an mouth, but lets hope it does.

I said to Peter that I would like the same arrangement as last year, ie; parking spaces for us lot, and he said that it should not be a problem.

We're going to keep in contact about this and I'll post here when I have confirmation of what is going on.

If the SIDC wants to have an official presence then I suggest that they contact little old me <B>first</B> with what they have in mind and <B>I</B> will speak to Peter and see what we can arrange.

Sound's bitchy? Damn right! If the SIDC cannot pull it's finger out and sort out a social event that WAS very well attended last year then why should they suddenley decide to come in and try and take things over. I'm not a regional organiser (not knocking you Colin) I'm just joe public club member, who's trying to sort out a social event for like minded SIDC and non SIDC members.

Edit to add this bit

Thanks to Andy Hamilton for providing me with Peter's contact details, hope to see you at Bentley Andy.

[This message has been edited by Markus (edited 25 April 2001).]
Old 25 April 2001, 11:51 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Markus.
Well done for making the effort!
What you have basically done is what ANY other club member can do if they feel they'd like to arrange/attend a meet.
I'm sure the club will do it can to help you arrange a strong presence at Bentley, including sending out flyers, contributing towards grub, etc.
See, it's not that hard is it?
Let's hope F&M doesn't mean it's cancelled now after all this!
Contact lisa@sidc.co.uk and she'll do all she can to help you.

Stef.
Old 25 April 2001, 02:24 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

I'm on holiday I'm afraid..... not that I have got round to joining yet, (I'm hopeless), but does the SIDC have regional commitees?

Dave
Old 25 April 2001, 03:03 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm up for it, but I don't do sport unless I'm sitting down!! Too much like exercise.

Surely it would be worth while for the club as they would attract more new members and sell some merchandising to us.
Iain
Old 25 April 2001, 05:11 PM
Nigel Bowles
Scooby Regular

Hi Markus,
I will try and make it again. It was my first meet aswell. Great time and a fun run down there.
I seem to remember a thread with pics proving we were all there.
Yours
Nigel
Old 26 April 2001, 08:48 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

DaveP:

This is not (yet?) and official SIDC event, and anyway, bentley is a public place, so SIDC member or not, come along, if you;re in a scoob then I think you'll get discounted entry.

Nigel,
thanks forr the support. And Kim and Dom's website does(?) have pics of us there, you're in them, or at least the car is, as is the blackbeast.

Anyway, roll on June, let's make it a big event.
Old 26 April 2001, 10:47 AM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Wink

Markus,

Sure do have piccies of Bentley last year - with the odd Scooby or two
Old 26 April 2001, 09:44 PM
RobP
Scooby Regular

Markus
Had a look at the pics of last year and it looks like a good day out.
Based on the welcome we got last night at the Jacobean, Hazel & I will be coming along.
Any ideas when you will have more info?

Will people be meeting up to travel in convoy
Rob
Old 27 April 2001, 12:07 AM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Markus:
<B>U P D A T E</B>

Senior Citizen (that'll be KimA then :
£4

Coach drivers (THAT'LL BE YOU THEN!!)
Free admission & refreshment ticket

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just you wait 'til Sunday - however, see caps

Old 27 April 2001, 12:17 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

oops! sorry kim!
Old 27 April 2001, 10:02 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

<B>U P D A T E</B>
Just got confirmation from Bentley that the event is going ahead on Sunday June 10th 2001 - Doors open at 10:30am, so mark it in your diary's.

Awaiting confirmation on entry price as there migh be a discount, if not, and for the moment, the normal entry fees are as follows:

Adult
£5 (£4 in winter)

Children (4-15 years)
£3.20

Senior Citizen
£4

Family Ticket (2 adults and up to 4 children)
£14.80 (save up to £8!)

Student
£4

Children 3 and under
Free

Disabled & carers
£3.20

Coach drivers
Free admission & refreshment ticket

Location is as follows:

Bentley Wildfowl & Motor Museum,
Halland,
Lewes,
East Sussex,
BN8 5AF.

OS Map of area from
Old 27 April 2001, 10:33 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

RobP,
Will there be a convoy travelling down there?

well, last year I suggested a meet in Tun Wells Sainsbury's car park, which duly occured, and about 10 of us drove down there, with me leading the way! all this on my first meet!

So, anyone up for the same thing this year? meet at Sainsbury's and then cruise down there? If so then I'll get maps sorted for the route from the car park to Bentley, as I did loose a few people on the way down.
Old 27 April 2001, 02:14 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

Entrance was £3 last year, but as for games I'm not sure - the ground was swamp-like in places.

BTW, the local game is stoolball (a mixture of cricket and rounders).

Old 27 April 2001, 02:23 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

XRS,
Yeah, Barry, the guy I've been speaking to at Bentley said that it's still a 'but wet' in places, so games might be out. unless you're into bog stomping or marsh polo!
Old 27 April 2001, 02:58 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

went to this last year, great day out would have been better if the sun had came out, did'nt get to talk to anyone as non scoobyfied guests could'nt understand it!!
i'll try and make again this year,also from what i remember the entrance fee was quite minimal for car and 5 people (not what i was expecting.

ray t
Old 27 April 2001, 03:05 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ray,
come along and have a laff. We'll try not to talk too much scooby, though a bit of show and tell will go on!
Old 28 April 2001, 05:53 PM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'll be up for that,should be able to organize another 3 or 4 more scoobs aswell,
North kent people could meet and have a blast down together......Markus where r u coming from
Cheers
Darren

Quick Reply: Bentley Wildfoul and Motor Museum