South East Meet near Canterbury

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2000, 05:46 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of organising a meet in the South East near Canterbury as there never seems to be anything going on down this way. Are there many members here around this area?? Just trying to gauge reactions at the moment!!

Cheers,
Nito
Old 06 August 2000, 08:10 PM
ITWW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Im not that close, but would make the drive if there is something decent going on. Maybe we could do more than the usual pub thing as most of us will be driving it seems silly going to a pub!
Not sure what else though, go karts, clay pigion, something like that would be good!
But if it sounds pricey the beginning of the month if best so I'll have some money
Old 06 August 2000, 11:34 PM
Lee Ng
Scooby Regular

Cool

Would like to try karting at Buckmore
Old 07 August 2000, 12:19 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'd be interested in coming over from Essex for a kart day or a track day, particularly Lydden as I've never been there in a car.

Buckmore is an excellent track for karting and you can hire their 4 stroke karts on an arrive and drive basis. I drive the two stroke loony karts there a couple of times a year in the Club 100 Canary Wharf Challenge Series....very, very, very quick track

Yex
Old 07 August 2000, 09:12 AM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Lee,

Karting at Buckmore is definately on the menu, I'll have to ring them on prices etc. but a few years ago they had the proper powerful 2 stroke carts there to rent.

Other ideas which I posted on 22B are below;

Barretts have been toying with the idea of a trackday at Lydden! Perhaps we could look into this. I'd like to gauge some reactions from other members on the BBS who live in this area to get ideas of numbers to expect and so on. Other alternatives could be the usual pub meet type gathering, or perhaps go-karting at Buckmore park or paintballing etc. any other ideas??? It may be worth organising something around the Brands Hatch Trackday to make it an action packed weekend, especially for all the scots who will be travelling down for the event! In the meantime, if enough people fancy a trackday at Lydden then it'll be worth looking into! I'm racking my brains to think of fun events to arrange. Whatever I end up arranging, I'll run it past Barretts, hopefully they can get lots of their local customers along!

Nito
Old 07 August 2000, 10:18 AM
Martin Cook
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'd be up for a meet somewhere.
I live only 3 mins from Buckmore park. I think their new twin engine 4 stroke carts are for hire most days of the week.

Martin
Old 07 August 2000, 05:22 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

It looks like Buckmore park would be a pretty good location then. It's also more central for those travelling from Essex/Surrey. I wonder if most people would rather turn up and go....or go on to a meal somewhere. The former seems to defy the object of a meet! If people want to go on to a pub or restaurant or whatever afterwards then I'm sure it would top the day off as everyone will be talking about their recent go-kart experiences. The question then is...does anyone have any recommendations for restaurants/pubs down that area? There's the Roman Galley further down the M2. I've never been there but the Biker fraternity meet there every Wednesday evening which could be fun gate crashing with an Impreza convoy!!

The other question is what time of day and what day of the week would be best. A weekend, or a weekday early evening?

Back to you guys!!

Nito
Old 08 August 2000, 12:58 AM
Steve Howat
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Chaps.

I'd be up for karting, Lydden or something. I've just moved to the south of Sittingbourne so it would be good to meet some new people! There seem to be plenty of V reg DBM's around here!

Steve.
Old 08 August 2000, 03:08 PM
KRIS
Scooby Regular

WELL how doo dee doody doo ......

Been away for a bit and now its scoobynet Mk2. Whats that all about then ??

anyway, Buckmore park charges around £65 for a three hour ( ish ) slot and that heats not an endurance race. Went with the supra club some months back and it was a right hoot,well worth the spons. I would be interested in a meet,makes a change from me organising one.
K
Old 08 August 2000, 04:59 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi All,

OK, I've sent off for an information pack on Buckmore Park and the different packages available. Unfortunately they don't hire the 2 strokes, only 4 strokes. Still it should be a hoot. KRIS £65 doesn't sound cheap, it costs £80 to do a trackday!! Still, 3hrs in a Kart is a long time. Anyway, as soon as the info pack comes through I'll let you know the alternatives and prices, the woman on the phone didn't want to tell me!

Any input/suggestions from anyone are more than welcome, likewise if anyone knows of a good pub/restaurant around that area for the evening then feel free. So far there are 8 people that have shown an interest between the two BBS's although I'm sure there will be more once it gets organized!

Does anyone have any preferences whether it be on a weeknight or weekend??

Thanks again, keep it coming!!!

Nito
Old 08 August 2000, 05:30 PM
Denz
Scooby Regular

ill come start of the month is a good date

keep me informed

:-)

Old 08 August 2000, 05:51 PM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

Nito

Interested depending on dates, w/e would be good.

Regards
Jase
Old 08 August 2000, 08:24 PM
Richard Solley
Scooby Newbie

I live in Broadstairs, Kent and would very much like to come along to Buckmore Park. It would be easier for me if the meet was arranged for a Saturday or Sunday.

[This message has been edited by Richard Solley (edited 08 August 2000).]
Old 09 August 2000, 12:27 AM
andyo
Scooby Regular

I would be interested as well- for the meet at least. I will pass on the go-karts and just spectate unless the there are twin seats as well as twin engines!!!!

Andy
Old 09 August 2000, 12:39 AM
Andy-D
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yeah, Sunday sounds good to me, definately be interested in meeting up for a bit of karting and meeting fellow Scooby owners. Just got my MY00 Imp Turbo so new to it all.
Last time I went karting I felt like I'd done a round with Mike Tyson with all the bruises and knocks I picked up and I STILL came near the back of the field . Good fun though.
Old 09 August 2000, 01:25 AM
Lee Ng
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I reckon a Sunday would suit most people, so if we go ahead with Buckmore, I guess a good starting point would be to find out what Sundays they have free in the not so faraway future
Old 09 August 2000, 01:34 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

Cool

weekend would be good,

ray t
Old 09 August 2000, 02:40 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ok guys,

I've got the info and phoned them up to see which days were free. Not good news I'm afraid!!!

I never realised they were that busy. For a weekend, the soonest group booking is in December. A weekday evening 6.30-9.30 is in November and a weekday daytime is in september.

The cost is £65 per driver for a full grand prix. This includes a briefing, practice, qualifying, 3 heats and the final. There is then a presentation where 1st 2nd and 3rd place all receive a prize (cups I think). For a group of 30-50 drivers its 3 hrs long or for 20-30 its 2 hrs long but same price. Also only 6-10 on the track at the same time hence the heats etc.

They do walk on hire on a casual basis but it's strictly for individuals and no more than around 12. It's also pretty expensive at £42 for 30mins!!

So we could book a weekend for December and do something else in the meantime or we could just leave the karting and do something else anyway!

Any ideas??
Nito
Old 09 August 2000, 02:53 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Red face

Buckmore Park in December

I have driven there when it is wet and believe me it is crap - no control, brakes useless, steering useless, damage inevitable.

But hey, they're not our karts so I'll go with the flow

Yex
Old 09 August 2000, 02:58 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yeah, lets paintball instead!
UK vs Import *LOL*
If we get more than 10 SIDC members then the SIDC will pay for an instructor, so we can paintball him too!
Chuck

[This message has been edited by chuckster (edited 09 August 2000).]
Old 09 August 2000, 05:05 PM
Martin Cook
Scooby Regular

Talking

Buckmore parks good for me. Mind you, I am a bit partial to paintballing in mid winter!! It's great fun!

Tip for anybody that want's to go to the karting, take your own crash helmet!! Trust me!!

Martin
Old 09 August 2000, 05:29 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

I think I may have found another avenue. How does off roading in off road buggies sound!!
I'm just waiting for the info on that too, I think it's in the same area.

Also clay pigeon shooting at Greenfields in Canterbury. It's very organised and you get professional instruction etc. I think they divide you into groups of 8. A little more subdued perhaps but a fun day nevertheless. Plus, those who have them, get to turn up in their Scoobs with shotguns. Woe betide any thieving little f**kers in the pub afterwards!!

Nito
Old 10 August 2000, 04:31 PM
Denz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I like the sound of paintballing!!!
Old 10 August 2000, 06:08 PM
Steve Howat
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Paint balling, clay pidgeon shooting, off road buggying, whatever. You name the date and I'll be there
Old 10 August 2000, 10:41 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

I'm going to post on here. Posts keep being removed from other BBS's.

I'd love to come. You could also go clay pigeon shooting up by Bluewater, so if the woman wanted to come along, you'd be able to dump her there!

Dan
Old 11 August 2000, 08:29 PM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Red face

Watch it Danny Fisher - I might have to use you for my clay pigeon practice!

KimA

p.s. would love to give paintball a try