Easytrack day!

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2000, 12:04 AM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Tarox Problem boohoo along with the cambelt problem.....doh

Reidy
I was in the Silver WRX V5 with white indicators, you were holding me up until you were flagged.he he he

Saw your spin good work fella.

There was also a point going round the corner at the top of the straight that you lost it whilst about 15 yards in front of me.........gulp.

That was the nuts of a day.

I would have preferred more track action than the high speed runs though.

Lets do some more easy track stuff soon
Old 25 July 2000, 12:19 AM
PM29151
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Great day out and a very freindly group, thanks all. One thing that I will do in the future is to rotate the tyres after each session, as the front left on all the cars was taking a hell of a beating.

Peter McGowan.
Terzo SS rear wing
Old 25 July 2000, 12:23 AM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Smile

Scott,

I saw you following Richard (it wasn't Reidy driving in the Blue flag incident) - the marshalls said the flag was just to split the 3 of you up, not because Richard was holding people up - shame for the spectators, you were all going pretty well at the time.
Old 25 July 2000, 12:39 AM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Trig

Yep it was a mighty fine session.

Help me put a face to your name, in fact has anyone got any pictures of the day, I saw a couple of guys with cameras etc.??

SJD
Old 25 July 2000, 12:41 AM
Reidy
Scooby Regular

Scott

Must agree with Trig, I don't think there was anything in my rear views when I was out. I was definitely on the pace of most people in that session that had been out all day.

PS everyone, I was in a car I'd never driven before, I got held up by a DBM UK car, backed off to a crawl for half a lap, the tyres cooled off a little, I then simply ran out of room flat in 3rd (I think the limiter came on) and I lifted off a bit with both tyres on the green stuff.

I learnt 4 important lessons.
1) Take it easy in a car that isn't yours!!!!!!!!!! (mmm Stef)
2) When you go off, try to make sure it is at the back of the track so that less people see it
3) Keep your foot down and try to straighten up if you get onto the grass, there is nothing wrong with driving up the verge for a bit before getting back on
4) If you back off even for half a lap the tyres cool dramatically and can help STi's spin horribly out of control!

Mine was the car towed away in the morning with electrical failure. I got to drive a 1.6 corolla home.

All in all I had a fab, but eventful day.

Thanks to Rich_S for letting me have the 6/7 laps in the car and not lamping me when I nearly killed us both . Top Man.

Paul
Old 25 July 2000, 12:59 AM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Reidy

Not that its important as I wasn't measuring equipment size or anything, but was it you or the owner (brave man) in the wagon when we were in a three car chase.

There was me, the red saloon (not sure whether that was a uk car or not?) and the grey wagon. If so that was the best fun I had all day.

Especially at the top of the straight when the wagon and I got it sideways styleee.

If it was you, your welcome to pilot my beast (if mine doesn't break down again) should you have failure in the future, sorry to hear about that hope its nothing serious.

SJD

Old 25 July 2000, 09:17 AM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Smile

Top day out Ive never had so much fun in my scooby. Hey I was twos cars behind when you spun backwards off the straight, good thing you missed the hay bales!!

Jake

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited 25-07-2000).]
Old 25 July 2000, 09:58 AM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Richard

Were you in that Grey STI wagon?

Top day, Top day, Top day
Old 25 July 2000, 10:29 AM
Reidy
Scooby Regular

No that was me.
Lost it backwards at about 110, Jesus.

It wasn't even my car!

I'm glad you all enjoyed it.
Old 25 July 2000, 10:50 AM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Reidy - you were chasing me DBM 4 door UK looked pretty good in my rear view
Jake
Old 25 July 2000, 10:59 AM
Jo Peters
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Guys

Yep, it was a really good day. Hope everyone's brakes held out. The slicks took a severe beating, but it was a real blast. Greg H. I didn't meet up with you but I hope your brakes held out OK. Nice to put some faces to the names on the board. Rich_R, I hope your discs turn out OK, Colin, I hope your brakes held out on the way home as well - maybe you should ditch the brembos . Bob, nice to see you again. Thanks to Stef for the top entertainment on the slalom and on the track and the lift to the tyre place and for changing the slick!

See you all again soon

Jo

passenger white STI IV
Old 25 July 2000, 11:34 AM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

Scott - no, I was in a MY00 DBM UK car. Must learn to drive on the black bits I know someone got my spin on video - does anyone know who it was? Easytrack were talking about putting it on their website!

Richard
Old 25 July 2000, 11:58 AM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Cool

Top entertainment,

Thanks to the guys who took me round the circuit, and to Chu for the loan of a jacket for the day - I forgot how cold July can be.

Reidy - particularly brave of you with the owner sat next to you.

For anyone who hasn't been, and is thinking of going, like Jo says, slicks didn't like the surface.

Did many manage to push their breaks without any fade or cracked disks? - there were cracked brembo's, and I heard of piston problems with tarox 6 pots on the day - some 2 pots lasted for over a session!

Great day, and those who have done several airfields said Abingdon was the safest area, so if we don't get another scoobynet day quick enough for you, abingdon seems like a good choice if you want to join general easytrack days.
Old 25 July 2000, 12:27 PM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Great day had today - big thanks must go to all those who organised it! Cheers Easytrack crew!

Highlights of the day:
- 'Driven' guy taking a Westie round the track and getting in the way of some well-sorted Scoobs...
- Jason Plato on track in a 911? (P1ATO)
- Stef taking the week-old 400-miles 1.8 Vectra for a thrashing on the track
- and erm.. me going backwards very fast after losing it coming onto the main straight (a feat matched by an STi later I think?)

Tyres took a fair old bashing, but then again that's what I bought the cheapies for. Impressively sticky for £45 a corner, and should get another two track days out of them...

Great day once again - nice to catch up with a few familiar faces and meet some new ones. Standard of driving was generally very good (except the idiot P1 who nearly took me out undertaking me into the back corner) - excellent day all round.

Now where's the list of the other airfield days this year...

Richard
Old 25 July 2000, 01:04 PM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Talking

Had a great time! This was my first track day and I will definately be up for more!

Spoke to a lot of people, but dont know if I introduced myself I'm the guy with the S-Reg Reddish-Blue MY98 parked next to Trig by the food van... the one with the 2 pots which were holding out OK (apart from a bad smell) until a corner on the 3rd session, where they gave up and I explored the undergrowth!

Thanks to the organisers... lets do it again!

James.
Old 25 July 2000, 01:42 PM
Reidy
Scooby Regular

Scott

It was Richard driving in the 3 car chase not me. I'm sure he'll look in and post later.
Not comparing equipment either, however, had there been something behind me when I span I would have humbly apologised by now, thats how I know.

Paul
Old 25 July 2000, 01:55 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Paul

No apology needed it was mighty fine fun. he he

One thing that really hit home with me was:

Uk spec cars weren't slower than Jap spec cars.

Hmmmmmm
Old 25 July 2000, 03:38 PM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi all,

Great day - good to see old and new faces.

Once I'd sorted the tyre pressures I had some fun sessions Managed to destroy both nearside slicks - guess that's a sign of a good time

Reidy/Stef - hope you get your cars back soon!
Jo - I am getting the brakes checked tomorrow.

Rich.
Old 25 July 2000, 03:52 PM
Lee Ng
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi guys,

Good day (apart from the morning traffic, nearly 3hrs from N.London), just a bit unnerving seeing traffic on the other side of the main runway coming of the 1st chicane

See you all at the next one

L33 WRX
Old 25 July 2000, 06:34 PM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yeah, that was me in the 3 car chase. Good fun for a bit, but being my first time I decided a couple of times to back right off on the main straight to let you all past. Did pass a couple myself though, and was encouraged when, with the instructor on board, I was pulling away from the Sti 5 door behing me (until I decided backwards towards the haybales was more fun...). Sorry if I did hold anyone up, not intentional, tried to get out of the way on the main straight when it did happen.

Managed not to cook my brakes too much either - did 5 hot laps, then a lap of resting with virtually no braking, then hot laps again etc. Worked well for me (MY00 4-pot standards).

Wonder if it's worth organising another karting event at Milton Keynes again? I was better at that!

By the way if anyone's interested, there's another track day on 4/8 with a large variety of cars on the track, including a Lotus Exige and a couple of Porkers. Could be fun! Look on
Old 25 July 2000, 07:38 PM
DRH
Scooby Newbie

Smile

As with a few, this was my first track day and wont be my last. Superb fun.

I think I went hardest on my first session, overtaking a few and getting it all wrong on a couple of corners. But the smoking brakes and sad looking tyres seemed to slow me down a bit for the rest of the day.

That reminds me must get the uprated brakes sorted out.

Cheers to all for a realy enjoyable day.

Dave P1

ps.. Not the one that undertook you Rich
Old 25 July 2000, 09:21 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks to all the Scooby owners for making me feel so welcome after hyjacking your day in my Puma. I'll be looking for a second hand Scooby early next year so I made a note of all your registrations...so I can avoid them in the Autotrader!

Only kidding

Thanks

Steve
Old 25 July 2000, 11:47 PM
cdunleavey
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear everyone enjoyed the day so much and enjoyed meeting many new faces.

I managed to get home with my dodgy rear brakes, which stopped squeeking after a run down the runway.

Old 26 July 2000, 03:03 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Smile

richard

mighty be on my camara as gary was filming me (my99 red 4 door) and a dbm put 2 wheels on grass & spun across the track towards bales. will look tonight as still hav/nt coppied it on to tape. i'll let you know & you can have a copy if you want.

re brakes, standard 4 pots with ds 2000 pads front & rear, front discs now warped and to be replaced asap . want to do either donno of brands but could get to be a costly day if brake discs do the same again.

great day thou, ist track visit and now hooked.

simon
Old 26 July 2000, 03:15 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Simo,

What are the symptoms of warped discs, I assume it make the judder under braking, but does it do it all the time?

I have the prodrive uprated discs, which juddered at the end of the day, but seem ok now, so I'm hoping they are not warped!

Greg
Old 26 July 2000, 03:33 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

greg

yes, only under braking thru steering wheel, dealer checked & confirmed warped discs.

please see my posting under brakes re your upgrade to prodrive.

thanks
simon
Old 26 July 2000, 03:45 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Simo,

Answered your other one, do/did the car judder every time you braked?

Greg
Old 26 July 2000, 03:56 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Nice to see you all enjoyed yourselves.
Couldn't resist taking the Vectra for a spin though, I was quite surprised actually, not as slow as I thought for a car with 400 miles on the clock!
Anyhow, as I'm so determined to do Abingdon in my Scoob I've booked up for Aug 30th as there are quite a lot of places available (and some Cossies going too! ).
Perhaps see some of you there?

Stef.
Old 27 July 2000, 01:46 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

greg,

yes, faster = more judder, expected really!

will speak with dealer re paying the difference.

simon
Old 27 July 2000, 06:51 PM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

Simo - yes, I'd love a copy if possible. Do you have the means to put it on a web site?

Ta
Richard