Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Forester STi - 'better' all-round package...?

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2014, 04:57 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by bonesetter
Thanks for coming there Fivos

Would you know what that means to a layman like me?
Good question Nigel, I am not really sure what the differences between the blocks are. For what it's worth WRXs use a EJ255 block and you don't hear (m)any of them failing, it is mainly the EJ257 that has issues.

I haven't heard of any ringland failures.
From what I have understood by reading the thread on the 2.5 engine failures here, the ringland issue was only on hatches due to a faulty OEM map that leaned out the mixture at higher revs hence detonation happened.
Regarding the HGs, in some 2.5s (could it be EJ257 mainly hence why we don't hear (m)any EJ255s failing?) the head studs are not as tight as they should be from factory as a result of which the head lifts under boost and letting gases in the coolant system.
Not carefully modified/serviced cars doesn't help but I think the most important factor is who the lunatic behind the wheel is!
As Nigel said, they are great cars but then again I may be prejudiced

Last edited by fpan; 30 January 2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05 January 2018, 12:54 PM
Iain FSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After owning more Impreza's than sense bares thinking about (including my current, and favourite of them all, 330 bhp Type R - as well as many other petrolhead cars), I recently bought a 2004, 2.5l Forester STi (320/340) and have to conclude it is something rather special, to the point where I think it edges out, over and above the Impreza as the better all-rounder...

I say better all rounder, for all the following reasons as a whole package, a sort of synergy:

First & foremost, A/B-road blasting. With a combination of long travel and a well sorted and perhaps better OE STi tuned chassis, the Foz simply eats everything a typical rough & tumble UK B-road can throw at it. Hidden dips & high speed compressions are walkovers. Off camber drop offs, anything most other shorter travel or lowered suspension would need backing off from is a breeze, whilst also maintaining workable traction. With the Forester there's simply no drama (my car has OE shocks & dampers and these work just fine), no clunks, knocks, crashing, banging, wheels lifting or spinning, it just does it.

The suspension set-up is spot-on. I say spot on, although I did fit a stronger rear arb (Whiteline 22mm adjustable, set on middle) to trim the car's handling and dial out the factory set understeer. This has balanced the rotation beautifully, and other than that everything works just fine. I usually go to town on my Impreza's suspension - arb's, D/L's, bushings etc... but the Foz with all it's OE bits intact is plenty sharp and capable enough whilst holding composure regardless of how tough the going gets. Yes you get a higher CoG and what comes with that, but what you also get is broad, predictable & safe limits which are not snappy – on/off grip - but useable, fun & safe. Think of the Type R as a tarmac terror, and the Foz as gravel rally car, with fun weight transfer and chuckable too. OK it wont be as lightweight & nimble, certainly as a Type R for direction changes, but boy you can pedal it along quickly and as quickly as almost any other Impreza. 4Th & 5th are immense

There's an increased sense of the AWD system working, more so than the Impreza. I put this down to the extra torque level in the Foz (I haven't driven a 2.5 Impreza). And with great palpable feedback you can place the car wherever you like. I have just fitted Potenza S001's from some softer winter tyres and the Bridgestones have a very stiff carcass and sidewall. The extra grip makes keeping the car on its toes and loosing its weight easy

As the car sits a bit higher the driving position gives a good sense of road command and feedback and field of view is good with extra vision into & around bends

Comfort - the seats are great. Same as the Spec C. With long travel dampers the ride is very comfortable

Trim levels. inside is pretty decent for Subaru. There are some nice extras too: power points in the centre box, and one in the rear boot area, a sub-woofer (again in the rear). The rear seats are reclinable/split and w/ arm rest

The room inside is bigger than the Impreza wagon as it has a higher roof (same wheelbase length though)

The Forester STi seems to have all the best of STi goodies. A bespoke 6 speed gearbox (14% extended ratio so better mpg motorways), Brembo's, 18" alloys, the suspension is very well sorted with alloy rear arms, extended ball joints up front, and perhaps a few other bits I have left out. I'm not sure what the engine compared to the Impreza, or indeed if it's the same, so maybe it has the asocciated HG/piston/ringland issues. I don't see many stories around of this happeneing with the Forester, but then again there aren't to many FSTi's around

So, an immensely capable Subaru, and I would say a very polished STi, which gives comfort with real world UK specific road performance

A better all-rounder than the Impreza... maybe so

Just a massive thread resurrection as this is my old FSTI. These pics are from the dealer that I px'd it with for an X5. I think I was the first UK Owner.
Stumbled on this thread as I'm looking at an XT this weekend. I'm sure (if you still have it) you'll be aware I swapped it to UK spec WRX STI dampers to try and cure the fidgety JDM spec suspension, which totally cracked me. Although I never felt I got it 100%, it was an improvement.
Had the best drive of my life in this car during a trip up to Scotland on the Black Crow road. Still remember it to this day.
Alongside searching for an XT I'm project managing a Type R V-LTD back to health, but that's a long story.
All the best
Old 05 January 2018, 09:28 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How things work around eh. Hello Iain and long time no see

The car has seen a couple more sets of springs/dampers/coils since your company parted, although I think the twitch probably not down to the dampers

As it happens, I bought a an (2.0 JDM Hatch) Impreza 2 days ago to replace the Forester, so the dear old gal is up for sale

Had her engine refreshed a while ago, along with bigger oil pump, larger head studs and baffled sump (work carried out at TDR Developments by Mark Thwaites)
Old 05 January 2018, 11:18 PM
poffer1
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How things work around eh. Hello Iain and long time no see

The car has seen a couple more sets of springs/dampers/coils since your company parted, although I think the twitch probably not down to the dampers

As it happens, I bought a an (2.0 JDM Hatch) Impreza 2 days ago to replace the Forester, so the dear old gal is up for sale

Had her engine refreshed a while ago, along with bigger oil pump, larger head studs and baffled sump (work carried out at TDR Developments by Mark Thwaites)
Is it advertised yet? Have been thinking of trading my XT for an FSTI.
Old 06 January 2018, 07:11 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by poffer1
Is it advertised yet? Have been thinking of trading my XT for an FSTI.
No, I've not advertised anywhere yet
Old 08 January 2018, 11:04 PM
Iain FSTI
Scooby Regular

Well, best of luck with your sale. They're still holding their value really well and yours is obviously a good one!

I'm happy with my XT that I bought at the weekend, and am looking forward to getting to know it a bit better.
Only thing I'm struggling to do is locate a 22m rear ARB for it.

I have a Whiteline one about to go on my Type R, plus the original and they both measure 107cm ish across, but crawling under the Forester shows about 112cm.
I thought the Impreza stuff would bolt straight on, but clearly not. Where do I start?!

Anyway enjoy your hatch. Hope you don't regret selling the FSTI. They're great cars.

Iain
Old 09 January 2018, 09:41 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

even various Impreza platforms are a different fitment..........

on-going deal here if needed
https://www.scoobynet.com/trader-ann...ter-offer.html
Old 09 January 2018, 10:40 AM
Iain FSTI
Scooby Regular

Many thanks Alyn, will do my homework
Old 09 January 2018, 11:09 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Have to say, I'm coming up for nearly 2 years in my 04 FSTI and I love it! Now I've done the performance and suspension mods I wanted throughout and made it my own a little I just love it. Certainly a much better all round car than the Impreza I had before.

I've been considering a C63 merc recently or big BHP forged hatch, but still don't know if I want to make the jump. I would really miss the FSTI if I sold it.
Old 09 January 2018, 02:42 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

I've used my FSTi for 5 years now and have enjoyed the car very much.

There's no way I would sell such a car if I wasn't replacing it with something I knew I was happy with, and another Subaru of course

Just time for a change
Old 09 January 2018, 04:05 PM
Eacy
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I know it's a bit OFF topic, but in Denmark, we cant get the Fsti, as to tax and polution..
So I Got me a 2.5 Xt ( also have a Classic Impreza)..
With a bit upgrating, it Can almost be a wannabe Fsti
I love it, it drinks a lot, perhaps because the uppipe and airfilter is changed, Without mapping...
But the Forester is a very nice option to an Impreza
Old 09 January 2018, 04:11 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Eacy
I know it's a bit OFF topic, but in Denmark, we cant get the Fsti, as to tax and polution..
So I Got me a 2.5 Xt ( also have a Classic Impreza)..
With a bit upgrating, it Can almost be a wannabe Fsti
I love it, it drinks a lot, perhaps because the uppipe and airfilter is changed, Without mapping...
But the Forester is a very nice option to an Impreza
Glad to hear you're enjoying your tweaked forester

Yes, they do like a drink don't they, and don't we like giving it to them
Old 09 January 2018, 04:30 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They all like a drink! And they like the expensive stuff too...
Old 09 January 2018, 04:36 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cambs_Stuart
They all like a drink! And they like the expensive stuff too...
99 RON all the way - mine was mapped way back for 99 and has been given that since

Doesn't bear thinking about how much
Old 10 January 2018, 08:47 AM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts

The Impreza went on the weekend so I can focus all my efforts now on Flo, Love the forester, great base for modification