Originally Posted by alcazar
Why, are they building railways and new motorways down south? LOL
HS2? Lots going on around here.
Old 14 April 2016, 10:55 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see your point, and raise you: if we are OUT, we no longer HAVE to follow their rules, and if any government continues to do so, to the detriment of the country, they will get voted out. Surely?

Whereas if we stay in, nothing changes. WE enforce every rule, obey every law, the rest do as they please and give us two fingers while their economies benefit.

Seriously, neil, I've just come back from two weeks in france, a country whose economy is labelled as "basket case" by UK commentators.

And yet, after five months away, I see more and more new infrastructure, motorway builds, huge motorway repairs, new railway lines, new logistics centres etc etc. Same in Belgium.

In the UK: nowt. At least not where I've been.
It's all well and good saying we won't have to follow their rules anymore but the majority of them we will because they do actually make sense (though granted there are some which are profoundly daft).

As for the latter point about civils projects, this got touched on in a thread about flooding earlier in the year. I distinctly remember someone saying that a large sum of EU money was available for repairs/defenses but when questioned on the matter, their local MP said he wasn't prepared to put in for it because it's a bit of hard work. Now that's not a fault of the EU, that's the fault of a bone idle MP who won't do his job. There's all sorts of funding that we could get but we don't because no one applies for it.
Old 14 April 2016, 01:32 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I distinctly remember someone saying that a large sum of EU money was available for repairs/defenses but when questioned on the matter, their local MP said he wasn't prepared to put in for it because it's a bit of hard work. Now that's not a fault of the EU, that's the fault of a bone idle MP who won't do his job.
Doesn't surprise me.

What I don't quite get is these comments that pro EU MPs want the EU to have more power over the UK. I heard a commentator on teh radio the other day state that Cameron wants us to be under a EU federal rule..i.e teh EU calls teh shots, bit like federal government rules the USA.

My point here is if that is true...whats in it for him? And what's in it for his cronies (fellow MPs) that support that too? The only thing I can think of is it gives them less work to do.

The leaflet states it would take us 10years to get the UK fully separated....yeah, only if they dragged it out.

I for one am still amazed at the sheer number of MPs (and Lords) we have in this country...if we were under more EU rule, we should have less, not more!. But no we have to have Scottish MPs, Welsh MPs, Northern Ireland MP, Euro MPs, as well as UK MPs...and if England was given a independant "voice"...we'd have English MPs too!

I think only Italy has more MPs...and well, we know what they are like for corruption, golden handshakes and riding gravy trains....

Unfortunately being in/out of the EU doesn't change this. But it may mean our lot may have to pull their finger out!

I'm starting to think I'd rather have the Monarchy take full control again

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 April 2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 14 April 2016, 05:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JackClark
HS2? Lots going on around here.
HS2 is still at the planning stage. talk sense.
Old 14 April 2016, 05:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

My point here is if that is true...whats in it for him? And what's in it for his cronies (fellow MPs) that support that too? The only thing I can think of is it gives them less work to do.
Think of ex-UK Politicians, Kinnock etc? He's on a good screw now, and if you work for the EU for TWO YEARS, you get a 75% pension, work for them for FIVE years, it's a 100% pension!!

THAT'S where a lot of our money goes.
Old 14 April 2016, 06:37 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

I read it. Why wouldn't you, it took less than 10 mins, I paid an inconsequential amount for it, and am not qualified to comment on it if I haven't read it.

I vote Conservative, partly due to nostalgia for Maggie, as I would probably be classed as hard right and the current bunch are too touchy-feely for my liking but better than the other choices. As has happened before under a Labour Government public money has been used for propoganda purposes. I am not bothered by that. 9 million, who cares? I did hear or read somewhere that a rich benefactor is not allowed to stump up 9 mill for the 'Outs' to knock up a response, which does seem a bit unfair.

I will probably vote 'In' but that is not certain. It would be nice if either side could stump up some facts to support their views rather than the scaremongering guff both sides are trotting out.

Which is what that brochure was. Total guff with no facts whatsoever, and a few PC photos chucked in to demonstrate their inclusivity. A double-sided sheet of 150gsm gloss would have served the purpose and probably halved the cost.

If neither side can present something other than what-ifs and maybes then chances are the 'Ins' will win, as the status quo is the default result in those circumstances, it being the least risky option.
Old 14 April 2016, 09:09 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thing is, there's no status quo option. If we vote out, things will obviously be different. But if we vote in, things in years to come will be different too, Europe WILL march towards ever closer union, and the nature/make up of Europe will continue to change, esp if Turkey is admitted. It all boils down to which type of different future you want....
Old 14 April 2016, 09:46 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

The Turkey issue is one that annoys me....here is a country illegally occupying northern Cyprus and NOBODY in the EU is doing anything to address this, whilst some are actually fast tracking Turkey's membership.

Bonkers
Old 14 April 2016, 10:06 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

As long as we retain the pound we are always hedging our bets as far as Europe is concerned anyway, so I am inclined to go with the concessions obtained and stay in.
Old 14 April 2016, 11:09 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by c_maguire
As long as we retain the pound we are always hedging our bets as far as Europe is concerned anyway, so I am inclined to go with the concessions obtained and stay in.
And to hell with democracy!
Old 15 April 2016, 07:46 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I beg to differ, they are doing things in advance; They've demolished this in preparation:

The old Wolseley factory site now LDV has been entirely cleared. The picture is the offices built in the 1900s. If it was a private development that building would have been listed.

Nothing has been spared:

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 April 2016 at 08:15 AM.
Old 15 April 2016, 08:19 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

That building look fantastic, such a shame it couldn't of been renovated into something else! What a loss of quality architecture
Old 15 April 2016, 08:49 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Plenty of con/destruction going on around here, in one way you're correct because some plans will be changing but they won't be replanting the trees and they won't be rebuilding what they've taken down nor putting the pipelines back where they were. Some friends have done very well out of the "planning".
Old 15 April 2016, 09:22 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...cument-from-m/

oh look, the one in the middle hasn't got his peerage yet
Old 15 April 2016, 10:14 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I beg to differ, they are doing things in advance; They've demolished this in preparation:

The old Wolseley factory site now LDV has been entirely cleared. The picture is the offices built in the 1900s. If it was a private development that building would have been listed.

Nothing has been spared:

for a minute there I though that was the old Rootes building - which is in Barlby Road - just around the corner from our house in London

luckily it is not

http://www.sunbeam.org.au/?page_id=1090

although the Rootes Building is on the path of HS2 - as is our House, in fact we had a compulsory purchase order presented to us two years ago- in effect buying the land from under our house

and lots and lots of building re HS2 in West London - just google

"hs2 old oak common development"
Old 15 April 2016, 11:02 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
in fact we had a compulsory purchase order presented to us two years ago- in effect buying the land from under our house
Did you make a killing? Friends of mine received double the value of their gaff, which was right next to a railway line anyhow!
Old 15 April 2016, 11:35 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

no, because we have not sold it and

crucially it was not a compulsory purchase order on the property per se but on the land beneath the house

from the published HS2 info the line/tunnel goes 100% beneath our house

(I think in theory you own all the land beneath your property - I could be wrong)

interesting that the compulsory purchase order on your fiends house valued it higher than the open market - why was that

and also another interesting point, in London at least, proximity to train lines does not really effect house prices, indeed it often means properties have large gardens

and I think most people do not find the noise of trains as intrusive as other urban sounds
Old 15 April 2016, 11:53 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Pretty sure it was something to do with them not taking into account the existing railway line when valuing the property for purchase. It was very close to the railway as in may as well have been a station. Maybe some compo thrown in as well.
Old 15 April 2016, 01:45 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
for a minute there I though that was the old Rootes building - which is in Barlby Road - just around the corner from our house in London

luckily it is not

http://www.sunbeam.org.au/?page_id=1090

although the Rootes Building is on the path of HS2 - as is our House, in fact we had a compulsory purchase order presented to us two years ago- in effect buying the land from under our house

and lots and lots of building re HS2 in West London - just google

"hs2 old oak common development"
Bang goes any plans for a basement/man cave/bag cave/fall out shelter. LOL. In seriousness though I hope it doesn't have any negative affects to your home.

The picture is of the offices that fronted the factory in Drews Lane, Ward End/Washford Heath, Birmingham. It was Wolseley (cars) which later had its use transferred to making body pressings and building vans (Morris) for British Leyland, then LDV after merge and subsequent split of DAF. It was a impressive building and hid the massive workshops behind it (not ajoining).

Its earmarked to a be depot for HS2. Locals would rather have the land to create a business park.

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/ldv-van...mingham.t41461

I used to do contract work down the road at Accantia on Alum Rock Road (used to be known as Smith & Nephew). The old part was some impressive late Victorian. works. They must of spent millions in the early 2000s knocking the guts out the building to put new production lines in (I bumped into my cousin there who was doing the design works ). The main office block by then was only 25% occupied so it was already cutting back.

That's all gone as well; just empty wasteland.

Then there was the wire-works towards Aston (on litchfield road IIRC) I did work for...all levelled

Thats nothing to do with HS2. But its surmises the loss of heavy industry in that area and NOTHING has come close replacing that lost economic revenue that it served thearea (jobs, industry, trickle down spending etc...indeed my old HVAC job was serving alot of these factories and businesses).

HS2 will not bring that back, nor will leaving the EU, or staying it...

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 April 2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 15 April 2016, 02:36 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Jobs? I could be wrong but aren't there less people unemployed now than there were when those places were knocked down?
Old 15 April 2016, 02:47 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Aye...right....as our Scottish cousins would say.
Old 15 April 2016, 03:32 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Bang goes any plans for a basement/man cave/bag cave/fall out shelter. LOL. In seriousness though I hope it doesn't have any negative affects to your home.

The picture is of the offices that fronted the factory in Drews Lane, Ward End/Washford Heath, Birmingham. It was Wolseley (cars) which later had its use transferred to making body pressings and building vans (Morris) for British Leyland, then LDV after merge and subsequent split of DAF. It was a impressive building and hid the massive workshops behind it (not ajoining).

Its earmarked to a be depot for HS2. Locals would rather have the land to create a business park.

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/ldv-van...mingham.t41461

I used to do contract work down the road at Accantia on Alum Rock Road (used to be known as Smith & Nephew). The old part was some impressive late Victorian. works. They must of spent millions in the early 2000s knocking the guts out the building to put new production lines in (I bumped into my cousin there who was doing the design works ). The main office block by then was only 25% occupied so it was already cutting back.

That's all gone as well; just empty wasteland.

Then there was the wire-works towards Aston (on litchfield road IIRC) I did work for...all levelled

Thats nothing to do with HS2. But its surmises the loss of heavy industry in that area and NOTHING has come close replacing that lost economic revenue that it served thearea (jobs, industry, trickle down spending etc...indeed my old HVAC job was serving alot of these factories and businesses).

HS2 will not bring that back, nor will leaving the EU, or staying it...
yes the destruction of our industrial heritage is such a shame

re my house - thanks, ultimately it won't "add" any value but being realistic, the pressure on housing in London is soo intense combined with, as my friend who is a very experienced surveyor said "most properties in London have tunnels under them" (a result of those industrial Victorians)

I don't think it will make much difference

and I hate "nimby-ism"
Old 15 April 2016, 06:55 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by JackClark
Jobs? I could be wrong but aren't there less people unemployed now than there were when those places were knocked down?
Statistically true. The question begs working doing what?

And seeing the government are advertising to promote exporting. are the sectors this "surge" in employemnt exporting? And do they support other business in teh aera to create better local economies?

Tricky one to answer.
Old 17 April 2016, 01:15 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So if brexit halted the redicuolous rise in house prices - that could only be a good thing
Old 19 April 2016, 10:44 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

An interesting read.

Also, although I think the Treasury report is a bit misleading in some ways, at least they can put some figures down, whereas the Leave campaign cannot do any such thing. It's all well and good saying we can negotiate this and that, but it is purely supposition, it really is asking people to take a great leap of faith.

That article also suggests that the other reasons of bureaucracy and reduced payments are somewhat misleading.
Old 19 April 2016, 11:37 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
An interesting read.

Also, although I think the Treasury report is a bit misleading in some ways, at least they can put some figures down, whereas the Leave campaign cannot do any such thing. It's all well and good saying we can negotiate this and that, but it is purely supposition, it really is asking people to take a great leap of faith.

That article also suggests that the other reasons of bureaucracy and reduced payments are somewhat misleading.
That report is embarrassing. "THE EU ACCOUNTS FOR SOME 3.5 MILLION BRITISH JOBS" Sigh, this has been denounced by the paper's orginal author FFS.

That pdf was produced by the Labour MEPs. Nuff said. And heres a better analysis of the Treasury report http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...eath-contempt/and http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...act-of-brexit/

Last edited by warrenm2; 19 April 2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11 May 2016, 12:36 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

E-petition 116762 relating to the Government’s EU referendum leaflet
Old 11 May 2016, 01:29 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I never did receive one through my letterbox, not unless the dog ate it.
Old 11 May 2016, 02:12 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The typography was set out like the 1a Ladybird book.

You didn't miss much.

Quick Reply: 14 page EU "pro" leaflet to be posted to every single home